Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Remote Issue for Pioneer VSX-1326

17K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Bought the Pioneer VSX-1326 on boxing day and I am unsure if I have a remote problem. I was trying to set up the surround and according to the manual, it says to press the receiver button and to follow some steps. Problem is, when I hit the button, there is no response from the system. On the remote, there is a red LED that flashes everytime a button is pressed, except for the receiver button, as well as the 3 other buttons that have the text "boxed", meaning a word is written and a box surrounds the word. Do I have a remote problem or is there something special I need to do to the remte for it to work? I tried calling Pioneer but their customer service line is horrible.

Tks in Advance

#2 ·
I assume you're pressing the 5th button down on the right side? Once you have pressed that button, the buttons on the remote will then function for the receiver. There may be no red light when you press the receiver button.

You should then be able to press a button like "standard" which will cycle you through various modes? Or use "Auto/ALC".

Useful post for newbies - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#4 ·
If you have an iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch or Android device and your receiver is connected to your network, download the free iControlAV2 app from Pioneer for your device. It's a fantastic app and transforms what you can do with the receiver settings as it is MUCH more intuitive to use for a lot of the deeper settings on your 1326.

I have the 1126 and the iControlAV2 app has really made it easy to get my head around a lot of the various settings. It also makes it very easy and intuitive to see what the current audio and video settings are on your receiver without going through layers and layers of menus. Again, it's literally transformed my interaction with the receiver and I've heard the same from a friend of mine who also purchased the 1126. Awesome tool. Cheers!

P.S. You can also download Pioneer's free AVNavigator app for the iPad which gives you the instruction manual for the receiver in an electronic format, a wizard for wiring your receiver and devices, and MCACC calibration data. The digital instructions are great as you can zoom in the text and diagrams. The iControlAV2 app also gives MCACC data on the iPad. The iPad is definitely the go-to device for these apps if you have one available.

https://market.android.com/details?id=jp.pioneer.avsoft.android.icontrolav2&hl=en

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/icontrolav2/id418081365?mt=8

James

(And congrats on the boxing week deal! I'm a little jealous as I bought my 1126 for $799 a couple of months ago on sale and thought I did pretty good. $750 for the 1326 is crazy good. Fantastic receiver and you should be pretty pleased)

#5 ·
Also forgot to mention, once you push the "receiver" button on your remote, press the "home" button (bottom left button with the house on it beside the circular D-Pad) and that will bring up the Pioneer onscreen menu on your connected TV. Much easier to do your setup from there for MCACC, etc. vs. the LCD display on the receiver. Just bringing this up in case you haven't used that feature yet. Cheers!

James

#7 ·
Sign me up as another guy who jumped on the VSX-1326-k 50% sale @ futureshop over boxing week, (which has an identical to a Pioneer Elite VSX-53 to my knowledge and sells for $1100 in Canada) it was too good to pass up. the 7 HDMI-in (gives me lots of options) and 2 HDMI-outs was one of the main reason for my upgrade from a Yamaha HTR-6160.

Have been a little over whelmed with the unit so far, Totally Awesome device, and the Apple Apps, for the iPhone/iTouch/iPad is icing on the cake....

One question I have currently, is that I am using a Harmony one remote which handles all my home theatre needs.

HOME THEATRE SETUP:
Display: Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1326-k
Speakers: Bose Accoustimass Series 6 (I know allot of people hate them I just love there small size for my current room situation)
Digital Cable: Rodgers HD-PVR 8300
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP-S350
Remote: Harmony One
Extra's: Soon to come a HTPC

But when I shut down the system, the receiver shows on its display that "Zone 2 is on" How do I shut down Zone 2?, and to be quite frank I have not even setup a dual Zone yet......am I missing something.

Thoughts?

#9 ·
i think if you are running 5.1 setup then the receiver sets this up in the speaker setup to 5.1 with zone 2. i manually did this in the osd, and noticed this was the only option available for 5.1 .

although i plan to wore some speakers up in my kitchen for zone 2 very soon.

did u run the full MCACC setup first? if it detected only 5 speakers, then chances are it set it to 5.1 with zone 2 for you.

pretty awesome receiver so far. I found a nice improvement after running mcacc, althoigh for some reason it bumped my center channel down to -11db!

i noticed while watching the Pacific in bluray, the center was getting drowned out by the other speakers, so i manualy bumped it up 3 db to -8db.

#8 ·
Wozman, check out page 53 in your manual. Should be a multi-zone on/off button on the front of your receiver behind the flip down panel.

1326 is indeed identical to the Elite 53 including the two year standard warranty in Canada. My 1126 (1121 in the U.S.) is the Elite 52. Glad to hear you're enjoying it! Can't be touched for the price you gents got on it.

My setup is rockin' a new LG 55LW5600 Passive 3D TV, Pioneer 1126, Panasonic 210 3D Blu-ray player, Energy Take Classic speakers in a 7.1 setup and a Velodyne 12" Sub with its own remote. Also using a Harmony One remote for everything and have a Sony PS3 slim, Apple TV2 and a Win7 HTPC thrown in for good measure. VERY happy with my current setup and Passive 3D is AMAZING...

Tip for ya, the receiver is working perfectly with my Harmony One but make sure you adjust the Power On Delay to 4000ms from the default of 1500ms in your Harmony config. This allows the receiver enough time to accept an input source command change from a power off startup. Cheers!

James

#10 ·
Thanks Stego and Joudbren

Stupid me, didn't even notice all the controls on the front panel. (doh) I did know there was a flip down for extra HDMI and USB (iPod connection) figured that was it. shutting down the dual zone did the trick. Thanks.

did u run the full MCACC setup first?

I have not run the MCACC setup, do you really have to? I currently don't have it set in my "home theatre room" that won't happen for sometime, probably tell I move. Right now its in my living room, which is not fully enclosed etc. 12'x15' size (older house) So I was wondering if there is any point to running the MCACC setup at this time.

Pros and Cons of the MCACC setup, is it necessary and am I missing out?

Another question......if I may ask.
Currently I have my Rogers HD-PVR connected to HDMI-1 and my Sony Blu-Ray player into the HDMI-BD IN, and my PS3 into the HDMI-IN (5) DVD was wondering when I get my HTPC (windows 7 base) where would I plug that device into? HDMI-2? Or should I switch my Rogers HD-PVR to HDMI-IN (6) (DVR/BDR) and then use HDMI-1 for my HTPC.

Thanks again.

#11 ·
I would run the MCACC setup. It's pretty much fully automated and only takes a few minutes. Even if you're happy with the sound "as is" out of the box, it can't hurt to let the system try to optimize it for you and then you can compare. You can always shut off the MCACC settings if you don't like the way it sounds.

My home theatre setup is in a sunken living room which is open to the dining area and MCACC made a huge difference in the sound quality and sound staging. I replaced a 2 or 3 year old Pioneer 9130 receiver and this latest version of MCACC is even better yet. The only wild card will be the subwoofer, it doesn't always set the level of the sub where people like and it does not EQ the sub either. Personally I'm ok with that as the subwoofer is a very subjective setting. I did have to manually bump up the sound level of the sub for my tastes.

Not sure it matters what port you plug in your HTPC. Keep in mind that you can re-label the ports electronically so that the name of your device shows up on the front display. This is really easy to do from the iPhone or iPad app. I did mine by trial and error though in regards to connecting devices so I'm probably not the best to give advice on this. It's all working for me though and I have a Telus PVR, Panasonic Bluray player, PS3, Apple TV2 and an HTPC all connected via HDMI. So far so good!

There is a dedicated MCACC forum in the Receiver section over at avsforum but a word of warning, it get's pretty technical and it's a lot of info. Worth reading though to get your head around the setup stuff.

Edit: Microphone placement is critical for MCACC. I use a camera tripod and set it on the couch so that the mic is approx. right where my ears would be in my normal listening position. The mic should be placed so that it is facing straight up.

#12 ·
I also bought the 1326 and one thing I had a problem with was after running MCACC it set my sub level to -11dB and I was getting nothing from the sub.. I bumped that up to 0dB and it pounds now..

So far I am loving this receiver. I love the internet radio streaming for my Sirius account. Don't need to hook an antenna or anything. Just hook it to your network, put in your username and password for Sirius start streaming howard stern!

#13 ·
Don't mean to jack the thread, but something I just noticed with my 1326 is when plugging a usb keyboard to it in order to make editing input names easier the letters, the only keys that do anything are the arrows and enter button.

The manual says its for iphone type connections, but the pioneer site says the vsx-53 supports connecting a usb keyboard..

Anyone else try this yet?

#14 ·
Love the 1326 - but....

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I love home theatre - I think my set up is pretty modest right now - I'm learning as I go. That being said (and at the risk of getting laughed at) I'm having some problems connecting the video hdmi to my Pioneer 1326 - I know it must be a simple thing(like me telling the systems how to interact with each other) - I just have no idea how to do that. To get the obvious out of the way - the cables are new and I believe they are working - I can get the sound to work - but when I plug them into the HDMI video outputs - I get nothing but green screen. I'm worried it's because my tv is out of date - but I'm hoping I can still fix it somehow. And everything else works with either component cables or the analog cables - but I'd really love to get the full dts hd experience. Can anyone help?

#15 ·
What's the make/model of the TV? What are the makes/models of the equipment you're connecting to the AVR?

when I plug them into the HDMI video outputs - I get nothing but green screen
There's your problem right there, you should be plugging your equipment into the inputs. Output goes to the TV ;)

Seriously, once we know what equipment you have, we can advise further. Perhaps your TV cannot accept the format that your equipment is sending or if you've got the AVR set to upconvert to a format the TV doesn't accept? Does the equipment work when connected directly to the TV? You may have a bad HDMI cable or a poor connection.

Here are a few FAQs that may help:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741 Useful Post

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112 HDMI Issues & things to check.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & connections

#16 ·
If your TV is older, try disabling Video conversion (on the remote, hit Receiver, then hit Video Parameter, and switch V.CONV to OFF). If that makes a difference (or even if it doesn't), you can set the video converter to "upscale" at lower res, like 720p. Your TV is propably a 720p TV, and the Pio is trying to send it 1080p.

#17 ·
I just wasn't sure if this was the right place to ask - so here's my equipment

1.Samsung 42" plasma (this is seven years old but does have an HDMI/DVI port)
2.Pioneer VSX-1326-K (brand new)
3. Playstation 3 (three years old)

and thanks for the reply - I'm not exactly what one would call tech savvy. And sorry for the confusion - the hdmi cables are hooked up the way it tells me to in the instruction manual. I'm worried my tv might be out of date.

Oh, and my cables are brand new as well - I'm using a brand called Rocketfish - if that means anything.

#20 ·
You didn't supply us with the exact model number of the TV. Please do so.

Samsung 42" plasma...does have an HDMI/DVI port
Which is it, DVI or HDMI?

Please re-read post 15 and the links there.

Make sure the PS3 is set to send 1080i - all HDTVs accept that signal. Make sure the AVR isn't upconverting the signal as discussed in previous posts, including mine. Make sure the cable is good and connected well.

As asked in post 15, does the PS3 work when connected directly to the TV (Via HDMI)? Also, is this the newer PS3 "slim" or the older "Fat PS3" - they have different capabilities as the "fat" cannot bitstream DTS-MA or Dolby TrueHD and those signals must be decoded in the (fat) PS3 to Multi-Channel PCM.

#21 ·
I think it's my tv...

Sorry, guys - I've been out of it for the last few days - sick as a dog - but anyways - I had a future shop guy come in and he pretty much told me that my tv wasn't taking the hdmi signal (or something to that effect) so i think I'm just going to have to upgrade my tv...

but right now I'm using a SP-R4212. Thanks in advance for all the tips and advice.

I've been looking at a Sony Bravia 55" for $1299. That sounds like a good deal.

#22 ·
If your looking at a new Screen, look no further then a Plasma (in my opinion) nothing gives you a better picture. Blacks are perfect.....

I own a Pioneer Kuro (got one right before they ended there production) and couldn't be happier.

Allot of there (Pioneer) Techs. went to Panasonic if I am not mistaken, and Panasonic probably produces the best Plasma's on the market today.

Helped my Parents pick up a 50" ST30 (3D ready) @ FS, over the holidays and its a SOLID TV......put it right up there with the Pioneer......close second.

Good Luck

As for your 1080i picture issue, been following along some here, regarding it, I know that I stumbled into a similar problem with my Toshiba DLP, (rear projection) it would not show a picture with the PS3 plugged into the HDMI, turns out because I had the PS3 upstairs on the Plasma the settings were switched to 1080p, on the PS3, they need to be down scaled to 720p/1080i in order to work on the "older" Toshiba DLP TV......have you tried that? just a thought......

#23 ·
I'm using a (Samsung) SP-R4212.
NothingOriginal: That's an EDTV, not an HDTV. It will accept 480i and 480P signals, but likely not 720P or 1080i/p. Check your setup again to make sure you send it 480i or 480P.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-sp-r4212-42/1707-6482_7-31696315.html

Resolution: 852 x 480
Display format 480p
Most (but not all) TVs will display the incoming signal if you press a button on the TV's remote that says "display/info/enter" or something similar.

I had a future shop guy come in...
Hope you didn't pay him too much, in light of the information that I have provided in this post and in light of the first question I asked in post 15.

With older TVs you can get dust and oxidation on the connectors too - make sure you plug and unplug the HDMI cable a few times at the TV to ensure you have a good electrical connection. And before trying to go through the AVR, try a direct connection from the device to the TV. You may need to connect the PS3 using composite or component video cables to change the output format if it's gone to 1080i for example and you can't see the setup screen.

#25 ·
HTPC connection to VSX-1326 sound issues

I am connecting my HTPC to my Receiver with an HDMI cable, boot up into windows without issues, display is there.. some tinkering to do to get the right resolution HOWEVER, I am getting no sound, checked my play back devices and there is my Realtek Driver there......made it the default and still no sound....

All my components are connected to the Receiver thru an HDMI cable.

Home Theater Setup:
Display: Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1326k (AKA VSX-53 elite)
Speakers: Bose Acoustimass Series 6 (5.1)
Blu-Ray Player: Sony BDP-S350
Cable Box: Rogers Explorer 8300 HD-PVR
Game Console: Playstation 3
Other: HTPC Windows 7 base XBMC and WMC

My HTPC Make:
CPU: Intel i3-550 LGA 1156 Clarkdale
Motherboard: Zotac H55-ITX Wifi
Memory RAM: Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3
Hard Drive SSD: OCZ Vertex II 60GB
Hard Drive HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB Green (Media Drive)
Optical Drive: LG-CT21N-OEM
Case: SilverStone Sugo-06 450W Power Supply

Last night I hooked up the following HTPC to the Receiver, and I booted the PC up, display had no issues.....however I am not getting any sound??? all drivers are installed for the HTPC, sound works when hooked up to PC speakers. That is not the issue.

Questions:
1. Is this a "pass-thru" setting on the receiver, that I am not aware of?
2. Should I just run the HDMI directly to the Pioneer Kuro TV, and send an optical cable to the receiver, and be done with it?
3. Are there certain HDMI-IN ports that I need to use for the HTPC? currently I am using the HDMI-2....

with the following setup
HDMI-1 - (Rogers PVR)
HDMI-2 - (HTPC)
HDMI-3 - Front panel (OPEN)
HDMI-4 - Video-IN (OPEN)
HDMI-5 - DVD (OPEN)
HDMI-6 - DVR/BDR (PS3)
HDMI-7 - BD-IN (Sony Blu-Ray Player)

HDMI-OUT1 - too Display Pioneer Kuro 5020FD
HDMI-OUT2 - (OPEN)

Just wondering is there a catch for this receiver when it comes to connecting a HTPC? Also wondering why it will not show up in the Windows 7 playback devices as a seperate icon....under windows. "Pioneer Receiver" I have seen in Assassin's Tutorial Guides (AvsForums) that his receiver "Denon" shows up in the playback devices as a seperate icon and even says "Denon Model# receiver" Do Pioneer receivers not like Windows???

Any info greatly appreciated,

#26 ·
Hi Wozman, not sure if I can help on this one or not. You don't clarify which video card you have in your HTPC so it's not readily apparent if the audio is supposed to be coming over HDMI from your HTPC or if it's separate audio via coax or optical. Not all HDMI connections from an HTPC support audio necessarily.

In my case, I have a newer model ATI PCI-E video card in my HTPC that has ATI onboard audio that passes bit streaming audio info over the HDMI connection. My HTPC is set to default to this output vs. defaulting to an analog or optical output.

Please advise what video card is inside your HTPC and if it supports audio over HDMI or separate audio. Cheers!

James

#27 ·
Thanks Joudbren

I am using the On-board Video and audio from the Intel - i3 Clarkdale.

Turns out i was reading around other forums, and noticed that allot of Motherboards by default "disable HDMI-Audio" (for what reasons I do not know) anyways a local PC store, put together my HTPC and I took it in, and sure enough that was the problem.....So I have sound, and am in the process of custimizing WMC and probably setup XBMC too. making sure all my movies/TV Shows are labeled correctly too.

One think that my Pioneer VSX-1326 stumbles me on at the moment tho, is its taking the HDMI feed in, and making it "PCM" not True HD or Dolby HD etc. wondering is there a setting needed on the Pioneer to bypass this.

I remember my PS3 did PCM too, before with my old Receiver.

#29 ·
Hi again, it's basically the same as the PS3, the source has to support bit streaming and has to be enabled. I highly suspect that the audio decoding is being done onboard your HTPC and is sending only decoded PCM info to your receiver. You really need to check the specs of your motherboard to see if it supports true bit-streaming output over the HDMI connection. I suspect it doesn't being an onboard solution but I could be wrong on that.

I added an ATI video card to my HTPC a year ago as it was the cheapest solution that specifically supported bit-streaming over HDMI and had good driver support for that. My receiver definitely shows Dolby True-HD, etc coming from the HTPC. Hope that helps!

James

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.