Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cogeco 2012 Programming and Packages Discussion

12K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Jim9guitars 
#1 ·
This thread is to discuss programming and packages available from Cogeco in 2012.

This is the thread to post in if you are investigating changing your programming or investigating what is available on Cogeco.

#2 ·
What are the fees for cancelling services ?

Seriously I am thinking about cancelling certain services and possibly all services related to tv and I am wondering what the penalty fees for everything are at this point. I find it really hard to be paying for cable service and premium channels when I am not getting all the games listed for different sports and I also don't understand the point of having a PVR when you can't record the games cuz the channels the games are on keep getting switched the day of the game or the minute they come on. I am tired of setting it to record a game and then having it appear elsewhere on another channel and all I get recorded is something I did not want or intend to record. I came home once and it was recording a screen with the NBA schedule on it or something .... nice ...

#29 ·
Seriously I am thinking about cancelling certain services and possibly all services related to tv and I am wondering what the penalty fees for everything are at this point.
I cancelled my entire Cogeco service several months ago and was not charged any fees, in fact, they counted the days left at the end of the 30 day period and only charged me for the days I was still connected for that last month. It was the easiest transaction I had with them!? I only looked at this thread to see if they had announced any new budget package that actually made sense. We don't miss it at all and are living much more active lives now. We get some TV with a little indoor digital antenna and catch our favorite shows online when we want. Of course this is easy for us because nobody here is interested in watching sports.

#5 ·
Actually if you look at it, cable increases $2, internet increases $2 and home phone increases $3 so it actually costs $1 more.

So yes save $4 on cable, but they still get the extra money from you. Plus they have been known to waive the $6 HD fee for unhappy customers like me so I wouldn't have to pay it until October anyway. Therefore my bill will increase the full $7 on July 1st.

That is of course if you subscribe to all 3 services

#7 ·
Well I think this will officially make me go with Start for Internet, and either Bell or Shaw Direct in my building for TV.

These increases are getting to be to much for me. Especially when the quality of the HD is absolute crap. And the caps for the internet are very low, and not increasing even with the extra $2 again.

#8 ·
For me the glass is half full

As I see it I'll be saving $4 per month because I don't have internet or phone with Cogeco. And since I don't like the radx, eqhd, hifi package I'll be getting rid of that and saving an extra $6 per month. When you factor in the taxes etc I'm saving ~ $135.60 per year.

#9 ·
hd basic question

Hi, I'm thinking about dropping down on my tv package. Currently I have HD Digital Select 1 w/ Sports, but there are so many channels that I don't watch like most of the SD channels, E!, HGTV, etc. I would like to save a lot of money by dropping down to HD Basic. I know that on July 1, they are eliminating the HD Access Fee, so I'm wondering if with HD Basic if I will still get something like TSN in HD.

Currently you need at least Value pack for that but it should really be available with Basic since the SD is. Just wondering if it was possible to have HD Basic, plus pay the $6 HD Access for extra HD channels without all the Value pack SD nonsense. So now, without the access fee, would TSN HD come with Basic??

Also, is it possible to subscribe to HD Premium (Discovery+Oasis) if you're only on Basic? Thanks.

#10 ·
I just took a look at COGECO's programming brochure online. You don't get much HD for the HD Basic package-mostly networks. You have to go further down in the programming options (can't remember their names but it involves more money:() to get TSN HD and then further down into another package to get TSN2 HD. If you want to add Discovery and Oasis (both excellent channels in HD by the way), then it will cost you another $12. I should point out the programming brochure on their web site is hopelessly out of date so you may have to give them a call. You don't say what you are currently getting, but once you start cherry-picking channels, you usually end of paying more. It's simply a fact of life, it doesn't matter who your provider is, that you always have to pay for stuff you don't want just to get what you do want! You can thank the CRTC for that.;) Hope this helps!

#11 ·
hd basic + a la carte

I've been in a similar boat as SWN81. I'm moving at the end of July and I need phone/internet/tv for my new place. I've been leaning towards the hd basic package with cogeco vs Bell's 'good' package mostly because of price, but the fact that Bell's offering a free HD PVR and that TSN HD comes with their 'good' package is making my decision hard.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to get a straight answer on what exact channels does Cogeco offer 'a la carte'? Also another question that just struck me is the Video on Demand with cogeco offered in both SD and HD?

Thanks,

#12 ·
I've been in a similar boat as SWN81. I'm moving at the end of July and I need phone/internet/tv for my new place. I've been leaning towards the hd basic package with cogeco vs Bell's 'good' package mostly because of price, but the fact that Bell's offering a free HD PVR and that TSN HD comes with their 'good' package is making my decision hard.

The thing that annoys me is that I can't seem to get a straight answer on what exact channels does Cogeco offer 'a la carte'? Also another question that just struck me is the Video on Demand with cogeco offered in both SD and HD?

Thanks,
No, Cogeco currently only has SD offerings on their "sub par" Video On Demand service

#16 ·
Regarding the elimination of the $6 HD fee, will we all just automatically receive those channels starting July 1st?

Or will we still have to call and request the HD package even though there's no charge for it? I realize that would be kind of stupid, but I've seen companies do stupider things...

#17 ·
My e-mail response from Cogeco:

"The HD packages will still remain the same, even with the removal of the HD access charge. Digital basic will only get channels between 701-716 in HD. TSN in not included in this. Premimum HD package also cannot be subscribed unless in a Digital Value package or higher."

Whatever, :rolleyes: I'll be saving quite a bit on basic hd and I can get my entertainment value elsewhere.

#18 ·
To answer my own question, I just checked now and I am receiving the HD version of all the SD channels I'm entitled to. I haven't actually checked every one, but things like TLC, Speed, A&E etc. are all available in HD now.

So it looks like it's started a couple of days early. :D

I'll also add, it looks like there's a free preview of Comedy Gold. I believe it's until July 31.

#20 ·
COGECO Ontario Pricing Packages

Digital Basic: $32.47 (plus receiver) per month

Digital Value: $51.76 (plus receiver) [this is what I subscribe to]

Digital Select 1: $57.85 (plus receiver)

Digital Select 3: $69.01 (plus receiver)

Digital Select 8: $80.18 (plus receiver)

Channels can be added, a la carte using the following pricing tier:

1 channel: $2.53 /month
5 channels: $10.15 /month

#23 ·
Price Match

Are you a current Cogeco subscriber or would you be a new customer? If you're a subscriber ask to speak with customer retentions. Plead your case and tell them about the offer you've been presented with. Odds are they will do whatever it takes to keep you. I have been playing this game for over 12 years and have never paid regular rates. I have been on "promotion" rates for the whole time.

#24 ·
Pick & Pay does not give you HD

Upshot: we sub to Animal Planet Canada separately as it wasn't in a suitable "package".

When the HD version came along, we phoned about the "Not authorized" message on the box, SD comes in fine.

The tech informed us that in order to receive APC in HD, we MUST subscribe to a package with it in it.

Wife is extremely irritated.

I haven't come across this requirement in any of their advertising.

We're NOT impressed... :-(

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.