Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

RCA connection

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
New HiDef TV at one end of room, speakers around the room and receiver at opposite end of room.
I need to connect the TV receiver (RCA connections) to the Stereo receiver on opposite side of room (sound only). Plan to run cables inside baseboards.

How do I do this? RCA cables I've seen are maybe six feet long at the most. Is this possible? Can I make my own cables? What connections and wire gauge is required? Appreciate all help here. Thanks

#2 ·
Please advise what is the make/model of your "TV Receiver" and the make/model of your "Stereo Receiver". I would assume that you actually have a STB or TV that you wish to connect to an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) if you have speakers around the room.

RCA connections are analogue and certainly come in various lengths but they are not adequate for surround sound (ie DD5.1). See the FAQ on Cables & Connections:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085

And the following:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#3 ·
Audio cables are available in many lengths. They are available from audio stores, electronics stores, big box stores and online from various sites (such as ebay, amazon and monoprice.) If this really is a "stereo" receiver then RCA audio cables could be used. Be aware that hum and noise from ground loops or other factors could be an issue. If it is a surround sound AV receiver, then an optical digital audio cable would be the best bet (provided the TV and receiver has them.)

#4 ·
For long runs of RCA Cables, I just use RG6, with either RCA Compression Fittings or an "F" to "RCA" adapter on each end.

Works over at least 150' for Component, Video and Audio (5 Cables). Have done as many as 6 TV's using good quality Splitters on each line, all fed from a Bell TV Receiver.

#5 ·
It's a old stereo amp and receiver presently connected to two speakers and a non powered sub woofer. This is not connected to my surround sound TV system (separate system).In this room I have Shaw direct receiver with the Red and White RCA connections for stereo output. Would like run the music channels through the stereo amp.
Problem is the sat receiver is about 25 feet from stereo amp.
RG6 mentioned above would work, but $75 for an adapter is rather expensive and would be tough to tuck under a baseboard.
Maybe these cable are available in this length but have never seen them.

#7 ·
RG6 mentioned above would work, but $75 for an adapter is rather expensive and would be tough to tuck under a baseboard.
I think you found a gold plated device. Let me find a picture of what I use.

EDIT;

I actually DID find a Gold Plated one....lol 4 of these would be $71 less that what you found....lol

#6 ·
Monoprice have Analog Audio Cables up to 100'. At these prices below $25, you probably won't need to pay any duty if shipped regular mail. Note that these cables are much better (larger gauge - smaller gauge number) than the el-cheapo thin cables that most places sell. That could be important at over 25' distances.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=analog+audio+cables

Again, what is the model number of the Shaw Direct STB? If it's a 630, the recent firmware now requires you to have the TV on if using HDMI to the TV, as discussed recently in the 630 thread. If using HDMI to the TV from another STB, that may have the same issue. Make sure you test things before installing the cables.

Even though it's currently a Stereo Amp, you may wish to consider future-proofing the room...

#8 ·
Don't cheap out. I did on a set of 35' component cables. I get a "hum" on the audio and a line that runs up the picture. Now I have to buy the expensive ones and pull cables through the wall again. Was only like $20 difference too. Should have went monoprice.

#9 ·
It may not be the quality. It could be ground loops etc. Gold plated doesn't mean crap. I hook up...scratch that...repair tv and internet all day long. I deal with IPTV/telco style tv but pretty much the same amount of junk cable and connectors as the cable companies do. Trust me, gold means squat. There are definitely cheap connectors like crimp on style coax ends and junk F81 barrel connectors. Anyway, I forget where I was going with this. Hiding in baseboards is tricky given the amount of room. I have 7 years experience trying to run wires in customers homes neatly. It's hard :( I wonder if you could find a wireless RF or even IR system instead. My dad got a sony system off my brother that uses a neat little array of IR leds to send the sound to the rear speakers. Granted, this was a sony design, not a standalone system.

I'm trying to think of some of the new homes I see with RCA wallplates. I'm guessing they used coax with the F to RCA or something like that.

How about something like an apple airport express? I haven't used one, but they have a mini RCA jack so you wouldn't even need to run wires. Depends if this is temporary or permanent. I know that wouldn't be ideal, but then again, RCAs are still only analog.

I'm no expert, but that's just my two cents :)

#11 ·
I get a "hum" on the audio and a line that runs up the picture.
This is definitely a ground loop. I've seen this a number of times and it's indicative of a strong 60Hz AC component being introduced into the signal. Better cables might help reduce it but the only way to eliminate it is to eliminate the ground loop. It's quite often due to external factors such as incorrectly grounded RG6 cables, defective house wiring or strong electromagnetic fields from power lines.

#12 ·
A hum can also be caused by an improper setup in the STB, wherein variable audio output provides a S/N ratio that is not at the maximum. One should either maximize the audio output level in the STB, or use the "fixed" (maximum) setting. The latter is the preferred route.

The line going up the picture is definitely ground-loop-related. Search this forum for "ground loop" and you'll find several threads on the topic, but basically your equipment is not properly grounded. The incoming coax cable is often the culprit - it needs to be properly grounded. A "band-aid" solution is often used (power bar), but it is far better to ground your equipment/lines properly.

#13 ·
I had "good" 15' cables running up the wall on the same setup before. No issues what so ever. Went to "cheap" 35' cables up the wall, into the ceiling and down the wall, now the line and hum. The cables are within about a foot of my electrical panel, but I have 2 60' rca's going to and from another receiver, 6 sets of speaker wire, and an HDMI cable. With no issues, the wires were closer to the panel before without an issue. Within a couple inches. The only "cheap" cables are to the TV. Figured they were the issue. Only other change is the TV is plugged into another outlet. Which is on a different circuit breaker than the STB.

#14 ·
The receiver is a Shaw Direct 600. Don't plan on any future upgrades. The TV is in my billiard room used for some background music and watch the odd hockey game while playing pool. My old amp and speakers work fine and I'm happy with stereo sound in this room.
I would like be able to play music from the 600 STB. Simple RCA connection is all I require but the distance between the STB and Amp is about 35 feet. Also will be tucking the RCA cable behind the baseboards. Can I make my own cables or better to buy online
http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Inde...g+audio+cables
Will wire thickness be a factor for this distance?

#15 ·
Not sure if I mentioned this but why not make your own, using 2 lengths of RG6, it is cheap enough and then use these to connect at each end;

The whole thing should come in way under $10.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.