Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Rogers Residential Internet Pricing, Packages Discussion

74K views 171 replies 49 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
I received a notice in the mail the other day. I assume this is for Ontario; I am in Markham. Most residential prices for Rogers Internet will increase by a flat $2.00 on March 1st to:

Express $48.99
Express +20GB 53.99
Express +80GB 68.99
Extreme 61.99
Extreme +20GB 66.99
Extreme +80GB 81.99
Extreme Plus 71.99
Extreme Plus +20GB 76.99
Extreme Plus +80GB 91.99
Ultimate 99.99 (no change)

Hardware:
Home Gateway: $5.50
Enhanced Home Gateway: $7.00

Justification: addition of SpeedBoost to all packages.

#112 ·
So I was able to clarify that anyone who has TV, Internet and a 3rd Service (Postpaid wireless, Home Phone or Smart Home Monitoring) can indeed get the 200GB bonus and it does not conflict with retention discounts.

It is only the other bundle bonuses, the free Canadian LD and the free Nextbox 3.0 for 36 months that are not eligible with any other discounts.

#113 ·
I just set up a work order to renew my Internet and TV and got the 200GB bonus.

I'm upgrading the old 30/5Mbps and 120GB internet package (which I was getting at a 70% discount) to the Hybrid 60 and am also upgrading my NB2 to a NB3 on the TV side. I was told that I would no longer have to pay the $15 rental for the NB2 box so I guess I'll own the NB3 now.

I'm getting a 3 month discount price which is lower than what I'm paying now but will be paying about $20 after that ends. Part of the reason I agreed to it was that it's not a contract so I am more free to move if needed.

Cheers,

jayson

#115 ·
Well, I guess I spoke too soon!

I got a confirmation email with totally different numbers I was quoted over the phone (even after I had the agent repeat what she was offering at the end of our conversation). Called back again today and was told that I wasn't eligible for the offer she gave me as I'm an existing customer.

Not happy with what I was told, I got transferred to customer relations and eventually was given a similar deal. I won't own the NB3 but will have the the rent to own price waived and got back the 70% discount on my internet that was expiring. Likewise with the additional 200GB offer.

Was also told that as long as I maintain my TV plan the offer would be permanent but I'm not sure what I can believe anymore when it comes to Rogers!

Cheers,

jayson

#116 ·
The 200GB offer is permanent. It technically requires 3 Rogers products with TV being one of the required product lines. The system will allow you to keep it with just TV and internet, however they could potentially do manual audits down the road and kick people off who don't have three products.

Also regardless of what they promo you get you never own the NB3 from the get go. They will waive the rent to own fees for a predetermined amount of time (max being 36 months), and then once 36 months have elapsed you have the option to own it for one dollar.

#117 ·
I do have Rogers wireless as well but will still be charged and waived the $15 upgrade fee for the 200GB. As for the NB3, I believe I was told 24 months though I'll again have a charge and waiver.

The thing that still eats at me is that Rogers would have a system that would allow an agent to make an offer that is not valid. It's the second time this has happened when dealing with them but they still seem to allow their sales agents to make deals with clients that can't be kept.

I've worked in a Call Centre before and have had to make arrangements with clients on the phone. The procedures were always to get a system approval (pressing F6 to confirm) before getting off the line with the client. If the agent skipped that step and the system would not validate the arrangement, someone would be calling the client back to apologize and try to rectify the problem.

Anyway, off my soap box now ... at least until I get my next confirmation e-mail!

Cheers,

jayson

#118 ·
Yeah, I think that may be part of the issue.. is that the reps are not fully processing it.

I think their system allows for setting it to process at the end of the day, or on a specific date (your billing cycle usually, etc).. and while it allows them to ENTER the order for it per say.. it doesn't process due to whatever restrictions.

I usually make sure that they do the full processing while I am on the phone.. even if it takes longer, etc.. even wait for me to get the email before it get off, etc some times.

#120 ·
@JamesK - What number did you call to get the change done? Just the standard toll free number?

I have a discount with Rogers that expires tomorrow. I am going to call them to see what sort of discount/offers they've got for me.

I have Rogers internet as well as 2 home phone lines with them.

#122 ·
I just upgraded my Internet from 60 GB @ 35 Mb down & 2 up to 320 GB @ 60/10 and my bill went from $52.99 to $53.99, effective Aug. 11.
I checked this morning and got 68.03 Mb down and 10.65 up. This was while I was doing some other things over the Internet, including streaming audio and some file downloads.

#124 ·
Bit the bullet, and upgraded from 30/5 to 60/10.

For me, since I had the CGN3 with the 30/5, It was only a $5 increase.. to DOUBLE.

Ran a few speedtests, between rogers and speedtest.net.

77-90 download, 10.4-11.1 upload. Cant complain.

#127 ·
Time for price reduction?

I just did some shopping around for high-speed internet for my daughter who's moving to Peterborough, and was rather shocked at some of the better deals available when I checked canadianisp.ca.

My pre-discount price for Ignite 100 is $87 from Rogers, which I signed up for mostly to have no download caps. At most, we might have a couple of devices streaming Netflix. It seems, though, that with Rogers you're forced to pay to get capacity, vs speed.

Can someone convince me why I should keep Ignite 100 (I get a $20 discount, bringing the price down to $67), when lots of cable providers have a 30 Mbs speed and 200-300Gb capacity for about $44?

#130 ·
As an example a Netflix HD show streams at around 4 Mbps. If your available bandwidth is 30 Mbps, you could stream about 6 or 7 shows simultaneously without any loss. Your bandwidth cap is more relevant for the typical residential customer.

-Mike

#131 ·
Exactly - rates tied more to cap than speed

As an example a Netflix HD show streams at around 4 Mbps. If your available bandwidth is 30 Mbps, you could stream about 6 or 7 shows simultaneously without any loss. Your bandwidth cap is more relevant for the typical residential customer.
I used to work in the telecomm sector, and remember being told that full HD required something like 20 Mbit/s with some basic compression scheme, but I've also seen people refer to Netflix requiring only 5 Mbit/s. I think the true requirement falls somewhere in the middle.

So, Rogers keeps pushing higher and higher rates - and charging for them - but I'm starting to think that less (bandwidth and price) might be better.

#132 ·
With netflix, it all depends on what you are watching.. and via what.

Some things like most browswers.. even for HD content, will max out at 3mbps.
When you get into a full HD capable device (and content) your looking at between 5-8mbps.
(4k, is up to 15mpbs?)

So a super high package, is not necessarily always needed.

But can be nice.. depending on who/what your doing.
If you are a multi usage household, like mine, where someone could be streaming in HD, someone else playing a game, 1-2 others playing on mobile stuff from facebook to games there.
All of them add up. And the closer you get to maxing out the connection.. can cause it to choke.

This isnt going back too far.. but even back to the 25-30 mbps timeframe.. a HD stream, a torrent, an online game, all at the same time? Not really.
But when i went up to the 60mbps (and now 100), i am able to do all of them at the same time.

#133 ·
Very good points, gdkitty.

Before I upgraded to Ignite 100, I had 30/3, 300GB plan, and while I was, for the most part, happy with it, the AirPlay streaming from the Mac computer to Apple TV was choppy. At the same time, AirPlay from iPad worked perfect. I thought, as many do, this was only the result of different operating systems.

However, once I got Ignite 100, AirPlay from Mac is as good as it can be. I guess it wasn't only the difference in operating systems, but also, if not exclusively, a matter of bandwidth.

#134 ·
However, once I got Ignite 100, AirPlay from Mac is as good as it can be. I guess it wasn't only the difference in operating systems, but also, if not exclusively, a matter of bandwidth.
Computer<-->Router<-->TV/stereo is independent of your WAN (to Rogers) speed. Actually, if you have an 802.n router the over-the-air speed can be 300 Mbit/s, if I'm not mistaken.

I wonder how low the WAN speed can go before Netflix starts buffering and pauses. This doesn't happen for me at 100 Mbit/s, nor did at @ 60 Mbit/s. If it doesn't happen @ 30Mbit/s, I can easily drop my internet bill by $20 **and** get unlimited.

#137 · (Edited)
I did get a new router (Hitron CGN3ACSMR), so that was an upgrade from the old Hitron CGN2, the swiss-cheese one, lol.

However, there is one more thing that I forgot to mention, and that may have been the root cause. With the old setup, I also had a Cisco Linksys E2500 N600 router, so I was running in bridge mode.

Now, with the new router, I left it in gateway (tried running it in bridge, but my E2500 was for some reason cutting down my download speeds to about 25-30 Mbps, instead of 120-130 Mbps that I get with CGN3 in gateway).

With regards to WiFi coverage, in both cases, my Mac was only about 3m away from Apple TV (and the router), so that shouldn't have been an issue. But that old bridged setup may have been the cause of choppy AirPlay playback, probably because of E2500 acting up.

Anyway, long story short, I'm good now. Taking E2500 out of the equation is what most likely fixed the choppy playback, and probably nothing to do with increased speed and bandwidth.

#138 ·
A friend has/had one of those 2500 routers and they are slow by modern standards. She replaced it with a TPLink Archer C7. I have a Dlink 868 which is a couple of years old and certainly not state of the art anymore but it still keeps up with Ignite 100 with the Rogers modem in bridge mode. On a wired PC to 868 to CGN3ACM all on Cat 6 cables it shows the OOKLA speed test averaging 135 Mbps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#139 ·
I was thinking of getting a new router so that I could put my CGN3ACSMR in bridge mode, but the fact that for now it works perfectly fine in gateway is one of the reasons I'm still hesitant to go that way. The other reason, of course, saving a $100, or so, seems like a good idea too.

Also, I should have used Mbps, instead of MBps, when referring to download speeds, in my previous post. ;)

#140 ·
Rogers offered me even BETTER deal

Well, I called Rogers again today and explained that, since I only had a discount on my internet service and not VIP cable, there's nothing stopping me from switching to another ISP, as there are many now in the $40 price range, and I don't really need 100 Mbit/s.

The first person said that she could reduce my *all-in* current bill of $197 by a grand total of about $4. I said no thanks, so she put me through to retentions.

The next guy I spoke to didn't fool around. I told him the same thing: paying the full rack rate for VIP and have only a discount on internet, and Rogers needed to do better.

The CSR told me that I'd have to sign up for 2 years (with $400/$200 max penalties for cancelling), but my new *all-in* price for TV/internet would be more like $150.

I said, "*sign me up*".

Still waiting to see my first bill to make sure there are no surprises, but looking good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.