Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Give me the break down

10K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  North_of_Calgary 
#1 ·
What are the pros and cons of using a Linux vs Microsoft o/s?

#3 ·
How much time have you got? There are lots of reasons in favour of Linux. A big one is cost. It's free. Beyond that, it's more reliable than Windows. You don't have to worry about viruses. It delivers better performance on the same hardware. It's much more flexible than Windows and doesn't get in the way. As I said, it's a very long list. About the only thing against it is not all apps are available, but generally something similar is available.

#4 ·
Jamesk provides a good summary, in my opinion...
Beyond that, for one to provide ya more than that I think ya need to specify exactly what your using it for, what your interests are, experience level, so on.

Someone once said to me, for people that aren't PC gurus to begin with, didn't grow up with them in school, etc, it really shouldn't matter what Operating System
one learns on, because starting out they don't know anything about any of them to begin with.

#6 ·
You don't have to worry about viruses.
Ah yes, the big lie. As was recently pointed out by the bash bug, Linux does have security flaws and always has. They just don't get exploited quite as frequently as Windows desktop security flaws. Exploiting Windows systems is much more lucrative. That's mainly due to the number of systems involved. Linux servers are a different matter. They get hacked and exploited all the time.

The other big lie is that Linux is only for techies and it's necessary to be some sort of coding guru to use them. That's not true, especially for some of the more desktop oriented Linux distros. They are not any more difficult to maintain than Windows systems. Though there is a learning curve, just like any other OS.

#8 ·
Ah yes, the big lie. As was recently pointed out by the bash bug, Linux does have security flaws and always has.
I didn't say there were no security problems. I said there were no viruses. There has never been a successful Linux virus, ever. Another reason Linux is more secure is that Windows users often run as admin, some times have to, which gives malware full run of the system. Linux users generally don't run as root, so even if they pick up malware, it's damage is limited only to what the user can write to. As for that bash bug, it wasn't a virus and would affect web servers running CGI scripts. It would not affect a typical user.

As for Windows, there are many reasons for security problems, ranging from it's DOS roots, to MS apathy to backing up claims made in court¹ that IE was part of the OS and couldn't be removed. At the time it wasn't, but was in the next version of Window, and as a result opened up Windows to a bunch of vulnerabilities that wouldn't have happened had they remained separate.

BTW, most router/firewalls run Linux or BSD because they are secure.

1. Netscape vs Microsoft

#9 ·
BTW, most router/firewalls run Linux or BSD because they are secure.
My LG and Samsung TVs both run linux, most likely because embedded developers do not want to waste their time and money developing their own Operating System.

Number one reason for me... I like to play around with different things,
software development tools are all free. If there is something I don't like or want to change about a certain program, I can if I want.

With windows I have no control of the software. Someone else decides for me how something should look or be done.

#11 ·
As I use/play with them, Linux is free, free, free. I can play with different versions without monetary costs. But I do have to weed through them to find ones that do what I like, and work best with my hardware.

And it is portable. I can install on one drive, slip it in another PC, and run it instantly, and clone it to run on another, with no license validation error.

Windows is easy for versions; 7 or 8.1, Home or Pro, 32 or 64 bit. But I would have to buy each one. I am not a secret back door member of MSDN, a student who can get cheap licenses, nor work in an Enterprise with hot and colde running volume licenses. I don't care to buy any more license than I need, and really have not bought a standalone OS in years; the past few PCs have come with OEM Windows.

#12 ·

From a user perspective...

Pros and cons, such as usability and ease of installation varies with Linux distro. Ubuntu has a reputation for being easy to use and install. It's also the most popular distro so it's a good one to try. I've tried and used a number of different Linux distros and they all have features that may be better for a particular application, user or set of hardware.

Linux Pros:
Linux is (usually) free. Donations are appreciated but not mandatory. Linux uses fewer resources such as RAM and CPU cycles. That means applications run faster and better on many systems. Linux also has lots of free applications.

Linux Cons:
Windows users must learn a new desktop and new applications. The Linux desktop not totally unfamiliar but there is a learning curve. Some specialized applications for commercial use are more expensive. There are some compatibility issues with Windows applications when exchanging documents. Linux lacks some applications that are popular on Windows.

Windows Pros:
It's the most popular desktop OS so things like applications and support are generally easier to find. It's already installed on most PCs.

Windows Cons:
Windows itself and Windows applications are generally more expensive. As already noted, Windows security is an issue due to the vast number of security exploits in the wild.

I didn't say there were no security problems. I said there were no viruses.
That's using a very narrow definition of viruses. This type of narrowly defined comment is misleading and leads to a false sense of security. I do agree that Linux is more secure and not as subject to as many instances or types of attacks as Windows. Applications like browsers are open to attack so it does not mean, "You don't have to worry..."

#13 ·
^^^^
Not really. A virus is just one type of malware, but one that spreads like a real virus. There are none of those for Linux, not a single one. Also, since most Linux users have sense enough to not run as root, any malware can only affect what the user can write to. This compares with Windows where many run as admin, which means malware has full run of the system. This is even before we get to the unbelievably stupid trick MS pulled, such as building the browser into the kernel, the way they did with IE to back up what they claimed in court.

#14 ·
Yes really. Your comment is like saying you will not get sick because you had a flu shot. You may not get a flu strain that's covered by the AV serum but new strains of flu and other diseases are still an issue. It's misinformation in response to the OP's post and is easily misinterpreted by most users.

#17 ·
So the answer is "maybe" :)
Admittedly I haven't touched anything like Linux since I used to have to know a bit about Unix systems to do hardware repair but the OP asked for the breakdown and gaming certainly comes into play for some. I'm not trying to be contrary, just figured I'd ask the question to satisfy my own curiosity as well.

#18 ·
The OP hasn't replied once, so I don't think he/she really cares...

#20 ·
I don't play games, so I might be biased.. but IMO Wasting CPU and ur mind on video games is a waste of resources...
Again, I really don't think the OP cares, or they would have responded or even thanked people for their responses thus far...

#21 ·
Once again, this is not about the OP. This is for others (like myself) who want to know the current benefits and drawbacks of switching to Linux.
I was hoping the answer to my gaming question to be a resounding "yes", just run version "xxxxxxx", open a shell and away you go. Guess it's not.
I've mentioned my limited experience with Unix and I'm currently running a Linux based computer as a stand-alone hardware firewall so I'm not exactly clueless about what's involved. (just a half step above clueless) :)
But the last full "alternate" OS I tried to run exclusively was OS/2 Warp and found it to be a real dog's breakfast to get what I required going and frankly too much effort and time consuming.

So I'm obviously no kid, but do I game? Sure I do. I find it helps keep my mind agile, my fingers nimble and my reflexes on edge.

Can we please get back on topic which is the pros and cons of using Linux?

#22 ·
I was hoping the answer to my gaming question to be a resounding "yes", just run version "xxxxxxx", open a shell and away you go. Guess it's not.
That's assuming someone on this forum has played, or tried to play, that particular game on Linux. While not out of the question, it's not highly likely unless it's a popular game that runs on Linux. Linux has it's own gaming culture with games that may be similar to Windows games but with different names. Most commercial game developers target Windows and popular gaming systems. That's because games are very costly to develop and systems with a minor market share will not provide a profit. The best source of info is the developer's game site. It will state what systems the game runs on. Steam is one option for Linux games. Open source games developed for Linux is another. Using an emulator, such as Wine, is yet another. In general, the latest and greatest Windows game will not run on Linux, even using an emulator. I guess that's a con of using Linux.

I've mentioned my limited experience with Unix
Me too, but that was 20 years ago. Today's Linux has is roots in Unix but is very different in most respects. The user interface and subsystems have all been updated and rewritten at least once. It's kind of like comparing Windows 98 to Windows 7.

#37 ·
... Today's Linux has is roots in Unix but is very different in most respects. The user interface and subsystems have all been updated and rewritten at least once. It's kind of like comparing Windows 98 to Windows 7.
Wow ExDilbert. I don't think that's the case at all. Many flavours of Unix have been updated considerably over the years. Today it's primarily a word endian difference that technically differentiates them but all of the major flavours of Unix are now mature and advanced OSs.

Truth is that 99% of the Posix based systems I work on are indeed Linux. And it's a great platform for both the home and enterprise. But the truth is that if you want to make that sort of comparison it would be Linux that's like Windows 98 and Unix (say Solaris 11.2 with zones) that's like Windows 8!

Let's remember that it's only the key kernel components that make it a *nix. The rest can be unique to each variant though of course there's lots of common tools.

Anyway, we're drifting off the topic here. For the home users they don't need to know anything about other Unix distros beyond "they are advanced OSs but suited only for the enterprise and won't work on your home PCs".

#23 ·
As ExDilbert said, most current windows games will not run on Linux. Yes there are emulators such as wine (free) and others that you pay for. From my experience the heavy duty graphic window games do poorly in an emulated environment.
If you want the best of both worlds, just do a dual boot, ie your fav distro of linux and windows 7 which in my own view is the best windows release.

#25 ·
Depending on the capabilities of your computer and what games you wish to run, as an alternative to dual booting you might want to consider running Windows in a virtual machine with Linux as a host. Or, if the performance of Windows games is a priority, run Linux in a virtual machine under Windows. This saves having to boot back and forth, among other advantages.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=222977

#26 ·
I have been using Ubuntu for awhile now. I like it.
I used it to d/l tunes.
I tried to download a program that can log my power supply for RC batteries.
Im no programmer, I stopped once I had a hiccup.
Now I just use it to download music files.
I guess its good to keep the virus's off my Linux setup.

I am seriously thinking about installing and trying out the new trial for MS 10. Once I get the majority of my tunes downloaded I will give it a go. Because my desktop has Vista, which I learned is the worst o/s ever for ms. You know for a fact, MS 10 is going to be a grand slam, if its not they are going to lose customers. Bill Gates doesnt worry, he's been laughing all the way to the bank every year.

#28 ·
I started using Linux for old laptops some of my relatives don't use anymore because it became so slow. If I run Windows on those old laptops I just want to grab a sledgehammer and smash it to pieces on how slow and unresponsive it has become. No such problem with Linux. It runs so fast, so responsive! It's amazing!

Mind you I run a minimalistic configuration with the XFCE Desktop Environment. I use Arch Linux which basically just installs what is necessary to get you into command line. And from there you can build it from the ground up. As daunting as command line may sound I was able to get it up and running and I still consider myself a Linux beginner. The wiki documentation for Arch Linux is really good.

My first endeavour into Linux was Linux Mint until I realized I wanted something faster so I tried Puppy Linux. I really loved the speed of it but the software selection was severely lacking. That's when I found Arch Linux which has a great amount of software when you include the User Repository.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.