Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Motorola DCX3200 thread

104K views 154 replies 69 participants last post by  Classy1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got word that in Early november we will be launching the DCX3200 model of Motorola HD DCT. This DCT is NOT a PVR and does NOT have a Sata connection so it cannot be made into a PVR. It will be replacing the older motorola 6200 series. We believe the DCT is all digital only and DOES have an HDMI output which is nice. Not sure on the price point but it sounds like it will be less than the Pace Summits. Also the DCT is pretty small. About 2 inches thick and close to the size of a laptop PC.

#110 ·
I was about to post about how my TV doesn't stretch well when the signal provided is in HD. Then you would want to go into the PVR settings (power the unit off, and hit the settings button) and set the 4:3 override to 480p so that SD signals remain in SD so the TV can stretch them.

Then I remembered. I think one of the 4:3 override settings is stretch? I think that would work better. If you have the TV set to zoom it might work great for the SD channels, but mess up the HD ones (depending on the TV). So you'd have to constantly turn the zoom on/off. 4:3 stretch will automatically stretch 4:3 to 16:9. The only downside of that is programming that is letterbox. The black bars on the top/bottom are part of the picture.. so the stretch doesn't remove them.

#111 ·
VCR timer?

Can you guys please confirm that the DCX3200 has a VCR timer? I read the following "yes the DCX3200 has VCR timers, hit settings and its the last option on the right." (from http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=141517) This sounds to me like it can automatically switch channels at designated times. This means the video output will be changed to the channel as well, which would be invaluable for me if I want to use my own external recorder.

But I also read that it inserts some kind of warning message to the last minute of recording. Is this true as well -- what kind of message is it, and how is it applied?

Shaw is currently selling the "DCX 3200-M". Is that the same unit with the same feature?

#114 ·
From what I can tell, the new DCX3200-M does NOT have a VCR timer, at least none that I can find in the new HD Guide(I have one of these but there is no room left to list it in my info). There isn't even a 'record' button on the remote that comes with it. This may change when they bring out the PVR model that will have the HD Guide but that will possibly have a new remote with it too.

#116 ·
Any of the older non-PVR models will have the ability to do the 'VCR timer' but only for as long as the old guide is running on them. This should be for a while yet as Shaw can't just stop delivering it overnight and replace it with the HD Guide as it won't run on the older equipment. There could still be 'new' old stock on the shelves at the big box stores if you ask or you can look for used equipment but follow the guidelines for for buying that way.

#118 ·
The MP2000 only works with the Gateway system so that one is out of the running. I am not certain if that is the correct model number or not for the 3200s that have the HD Guide loaded or not but they could be the same as the ones that 'don't' already have it loaded. I only have the one 'with' the new guide and it just says 'DCX3200' on the bottom.

Most big box stores have a return policy so you could buy one and if it isn't the one you want, you should be able to return it within a day or two since you would know as soon as you got it home and activated. Activation can be done online to speed that part up. The longer you wait, the less likely you will be to find an 'old' box. You could always ask when the particular stock was delivered and if it was more than a month or two ago, you should be getting the 'old' guide.

#120 ·
Sadly, my DCX3200 with the HD Guide is 'laggy' too. Interestingly enough, this varies as you navigate through the guide. What I mean by that is; if you press the 'page' up or down button, it can take up to almost 5 seconds to change to the next page but once you have moved a few pages in one direction, you can go back almost instantly. It's like the box is loading the guide pages from a server when requested and then they are stored internally for a short time while you are viewing the guide for quick recall. There seems to be a very small 'buffer' or 'cache' as only about 3 pages of guide seem to be recallable in short order.

I hadn't even noticed the missing 'show other times' option because I couldn't set recordings as it's not a PVR. It seems that with each iteration of guide, they either forget or just leave out yet another set of 'features' we want, need and expect to have. This is now well beyond ridiculous as far as 'lack of features' goes.

#121 ·
"Space issues"

I am a complete "novice" with pvr's so am hoping someone can help me with this. My machine reads that it's 6% full, but when I try to record a show, it tells me that "space is needed". I only have 52 actual hrs. recorded, but as you know, should get 120 total.
I have no idea what to do aside from booting it (already done) and since the boot changed nothing, I am now at a loss.
I have had the pvr for several months, and have had no other problems or issues with it thus far.

Thankyou for any help you can give.
Much appreciated.
Regards,
Catherine

#122 ·
First things first, we need you to look at the front of your PVR and check the actual model number. This thread is for the DCX3200 only and as the 3200 is not a PVR but just an HD receiver, you must have a different model number and your question belongs in a different thread. The moderators will move it for you as soon as you are able to post the actual model number you have.

Now, as to your problem; it sounds like you are suffering from a common problem that the Motorolas have. About the best thing you can try is to power cycle the box by unplugging and then plugging back in the power cord.

Do let us know what model you actually have and more help may be available.

PS: Welcome to DHC

#125 ·
I was rearranging my bedroom and I unhooked all my electronics including my DCX3200, when I set everything back up the picture on SD channels had black borders around all the SD channels as well as underneath them. It was never like this before, even with the aspect on the TV at set by program. Changing it to 16:9 does fill the screen but the guide looks much more pixelated than it used.

Also of note that I find weird. When I'm on an HD channel and I hit guide, the picture of the guide has 2 black borders on the sides, when I'm on an SD channel and I hit guide it is pixelated and it fills the screen.

#127 ·
I notice London Drugs list 2 different models of the DCX3200:

DCX3200P2MTC ($178)
DCX3200P2-M ($137.99)

what's the diffference? is one of these an older version that doesn't support the new HD Guide, or something like that?

meanwhile I notice on Shaw.ca, the model is simply DCX3200-M ($138)

#128 ·
I managed to get one of these today at BB for $90. The new guide has some nice features over the old guide and some BIG flaws. Slow response ..press button and you better wait or you will move somewhere else that you did not want to go to if you keep pressing (s/b fixed by firmware, I hope).

Only shows subscribed (or "availble channels") including the 300's that seem to include some PPV stuff. Can make all the HD channels appear together in your guide (ie out of channel order).

Dumb stuff: No upcoming times show information button for a given episode (bad....as I always use it). VOD does not list all movies for Movie Central or Superchannel..........like on older Motorolla units did........STUPID BEYOND COMPREHENSION...........!!!!!!!

THEN...and this is CLASSIC STUPIDITY..........Superchannel HD 1 and HD 2...were on channel 284 and 285........now are on 161 and 285......FIRE SOMEONE AT SHAW RIGHT NOW..........NO I AM NOT JOKING....SOMEONE NEEDS TO GET FIRED!!! Also, all the pay channels were in sequence 279-285, they are not now are they!!!!!

The guide sure does not appear that sharp or clear........on my 60GT50...Shaw claims it is in HD?

#129 ·
We just got a DCX3200P2-M set-top box for Christmas. I can't seem to find a way to get the display to turn off when I turn off the unit's power. All our other set top boxes turn off the display when the unit is turned off.

Sorry for the newbie question. I couldn't find anything in the user manual.

Thanks.

#131 ·
There are settings for different 'LED Brightness' in the Digital Box option of the Settings menu but you can't turn the display off completely despite selecting the 'OFF' option. It will always show either the time or channel, whichever you have set to be displayed under the option.

#134 ·
Given that Shaw is moving toward the HD Guide for ALL of their boxes, I would highly doubt you can go backward with the guide. Even if you could, eventually all of the more 'modern' boxes will be moved up to the new HD Guide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.