Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sirius Reception Issues in Calgary

18K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  jfoley85 
#1 ·
Has anyone been experiencing degaded Sirius reception in Calgary since Sunday, March3, 2013?

#34 ·
Something's different or not quite right since the fix. Now I barely get any SAT signal. I'm out in the open with a clear view of the sky yet I'm usually getting 0/10 or 3/10 on SAT strength. While last week it was usually 10/10 and sometimes 7/10.

It's almost like now that the TER signal is back, it's not really trying to pick up on SAT or the SAT info is getting overriden.

Whatever the cause is, I'm now getting way way worse reception overall. As soon as I drive close to a building or down in a small valley the TER signal disappears and I get nothing at all. I'm getting dropouts and long periods of unavailability all the time now.

#41 ·
Mine has been down since at least yesterday. I live in Glamorgan.

I noticed the last time when it was working that the only signal I seemed to get was from the terrestrial and didn't get any bars from the satellite. Don't know if that means anything.

It really is too bad, I love it when it works but I agree with SDTP this happens way too frequently. At least I can come here and see that others are having the same problem, so I know it isn't just me.

#43 ·
Well that was an unpleasant experience. I called customer service to report that there has been no signal since Sunday. I have not had good experiences in the past with Sirius Customer Service and this time was definitely more of the same.

I get awful sick of hearing that it is my antenna, or that they are going to send me a new activation code, this stuff has never, ever worked. They refuse to admit any problems on their end, they always have made it an issue with my antenna. As noted above I just got a new antenna a couple of months ago. It isn't the antenna, their signal just drops out for 5 days to a week and then it (usually) comes back.

I don't go out of my way to give customer service reps a hard time, I know how tough it can be; but if I have to listen to one more smarmy Sirius Customer Service Rep arguing with me, speaking over me and reading the same damn script .... Like I said to him, Sirius service is just not consistent. It's great when it works but this interruption in service happens too often, and they never take any responsibility.

It's a shame but I am seriously thinking of cancelling. Dealing with their customer service is just a big headache and the service is just not dependable.

I apologize if this is a bit of a rant but the customer service rep was an exercise in frustration.:mad:

#49 ·
A little late for me but I received the following as part of an e-mail from Sirius:

We have contacted our Corporate Office and have received notice that we
are currently experiencing issues with a repeater in Calgary. We can
advise that our technicians are working diligently to resolve this
issue. We do hope to have the receiver back to its normal functioning
state very soon.

#50 ·
Thanks for the info from the email SDTP. I wish I could get on their mailing list as I never receive technical support type emails from them. It's too bad that it takes more than 10 days for them to acknowledge the problem.

They would save myself and other customers a real headache if they were more straightforward about the repeater being down.

I haven't even had my radio a full year yet, but when I google problems with their Calgary repeater the complaints date back more than 5 years. It probably isn't going to change anytime soon. If their customer service wasn't so terrible I might overlook some of the down times, but it is such a hassle to even report that the repeater might be down.

Thanks again for the info.

#52 ·
The satellite signal only works well in open areas. In cities building often shield the signal. So in cities, FM repeaters are used to improve reception. XM seems to have problems maintaining these repeaters. In Winnipeg the repeater was down for months. I complained continuously. It is finally back. We need to be persistent to get action.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.