Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Portable TV for Signal Peaking

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  -Jim- 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use one of these 7-13 inch portable tv's to peak their shaw or bell dish's ? They sell for 50-100 bucks and most have the standard coax input. Seems to me there is no better way to install a dish than to see the signal right directly from the receiver vs through a sat finder/ spectrum analyzer... maybe I'm wrong, my wife says I always am wrong :p

#3 ·
I have tried to use my 7" DVD player as a screen to tune my FTA system. It is unbearable. You have to squint to read any text on the screen.

My favorite TV for satellite tuning is my 14" CRT set, and that is mostly all I keep it for. I had 9" and 5" sets I used to tune analog satellite, but they quit on me.

A proper satellite analyzer will give more information than the satellite receiver can, plus react somewhat faster, especially for signal level. Those cheap meters give just the raw signal level.

#7 ·
You might find a small CRT that is serviceable for your needs. Like classicsat mentioned, I've also used a 14 inch CRT for satellite aiming. Not too heavy or bulky to toss on a roof or carry around in a vehicle.

Some of the small LCDs have lots of inputs on the back and are real useful to have around. I've got an older 13 inch 4x3 NTSC Sharp with coax, s-video, composite and component, and a 16x9 Samsung with HDMI and pretty well anything else you might want.

Both are light weight and easy to toss around if you need a spare display for any kind of testing purpose.

#11 ·
One thing you can do with a smaller TV outside near the antenna, and the STB inside the house is run an extra coax cable out to the antenna, and feed channel 3 or 4 output of the STB over the spare coax out to the TV. This way ya don't have to drag the STB outside.
Helps if the STB has a UHF remote control.

#12 ·
I use a 13" CRT. It has a handle, is somewhat bulky, but effective. It's dual power (ac/12vdc), which makes it great for camping/cottaging without power. I agree with the comments above that small 7" devices are too small. You can also get used small CRTs for next to nothing....

#13 ·
Seriously, what is a CRT?

I use my Samsung 10.1 tablet. I switch to the Shaw Direct input on my selectable switcher connected to my SlingBox Pro HD to stream the signal strength screen to my tablet and everything is great. I've optimized things for a 97 signal strength and 10.4 ECB/No.

Using the selectable switcher, I switch inputs when I want to maximize my FTA signals or the NBC Mux on 103 degrees.

CRT, lol.

#14 ·
seriuosely guys...just spend the 100 bucks for an accutac 22 or simular, it only measures rf noise but still has better results...you can put in your pocket and be done with all the headaches.... :)

#16 ·
I'd go for it anytime you need to install.

Danny,

Glad to see you are still poking at Shaw Direct. Is this for your pending move or has that already happened?

From my post on the Tough Install at the Cabin (http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300&page=5)

I posted the photo below. In the back of the mini-van you can see a small color TV with an old 505 on top. A neighbor let us run an extension cord to power it up, and it worked great! That method proves all the gear as well.

To me this is a no brainer. I did the same on an install for a Buddy at his Cabin near Vancouver. (It's posted here at Digital Home as well). I'd go for it anytime you need to install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.