Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Sony NX810 and NX710 LCD 3D Ready HDTVs

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  cableRules 
#1 ·
Sony Canada today announced the introduction of five new models of LCD high definition televisions which are also 3D ready.

The new NX810 and NX710 Sony Bravia models, which range in price from $2,300 to $4,700, feature 1920 x 1080p resolution, LED Backlighting with local dimming, a light sensor that adjusts the backlight based on room light, Bravia Internet Video and Widgets and built-in Wi-Fi.

The primary difference between the two series, outside of the size of screens, is the NX710 are 120Hz panels while the NX810 are 240Hz panels. The following is a list of the five new models which will reach stores sometime later this month.

• Bravia KDL-60NX810 - $4,700
  • Bravia KDL-55NX810 - $3,700
  • Bravia KDL-46NX810 - $3,000
  • Bravia KDL-46NX710 - $2,700
  • Bravia KDL-40NX710 - $2,300

#2 ·
Important distinction to note, these new models (like their NX700/NX800 predecessors) come with dynamic edge LED backlight, not intelligent dynamic LED backlight with local dimming (the HX909 series is the only 2010 model to have that). If these new models did come with that then those prices would be all the nicer ;)

#3 ·
Hi folks, I just got a Sony KDL-55NX810 tv on warranty replacement for a reduced cost to replace my old Sony 60" SXRD (LCoS) TV, and from what I can tell from the Sony web site, it does indeed support local dimming. Specifically full array local dimming.

Here's the link.

-Cheers, RP

#4 ·
Hi folks, I just got a Sony KDL-55NX810 tv on warranty replacement for a reduced cost to replace my old Sony 60" SXRD (LCoS) TV, and from what I can tell from the Sony web site, it does indeed support local dimming. Specifically full array local dimming.
Sony's sematics are wonky! The NX8xx series of TVs are not supported by full array local dimming; they are dynamic edge-lit only. The only Sony model that supports full array local dimming is their HX9xx series of TVs.

#5 ·
Then how come it says it right on the web page?

"Boasting a Dynamic LED backlight with full array local dimming, NX810 Series HDTVs produce amazing color and superior contrast, with deep blacks and pure whites across the entire screen. "

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to argue, just confused. :)

-RP

#6 ·
Nevermind, I answered my own question. I did a bit of online research and you are correct, it seems Sony is using marketing spin to make it seem like something it's not.

Basically they are providing local dimming using edge lighting as opposed to the typical way which is why they are claiming this on their web site. Go figure, the marketing machine is stretching the truth. :)

-RP

#9 ·
Sony LED KDL60NX810 3D New Owner!!!!!!!!!

Yup correct. Decided to go 3D. And this model is tops for LED 3D. I will post my thoughts on this one soon.

Thks

909 is full array local dimming. The 810 is DYnamic edge lit with local dimming. The 55" is top and bottom edge lit, but the 60" is advanced 4 side edge lit with large sections of local dimming. Also superior 3D as it was the last to be developed in 2010.

This 810 was choosen by Sony for the 2010 HDTV shootout. It must be the best then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nr-UQUHHpA

#10 ·
I finally found the TV I was looking for. This Sony is a keeper. Excellent 3D. No ghosting that I could see at any distance. Nice depth. Bright PQ In 3D unlike both the PAnasoic or SAmsung plasma. Some flicker but doesn't bother me. Can't see any flash lighting either. SAw IMAX Under the Sea in 3D. Just beautiful.

I highly recommend the NX810 for 3D.

The one thing that is much different then the SAM LED is the PQ is not eye popping on this one. More natural colors that will need some tweaking.

But overall it's the all around perfect HDTV IMO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.