Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Wasted Channels?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ExDilbert 
#1 ·
Am I the only one who feels like the free preview channels people get on TV are abit of a waste? For me, channel 15 and 21 are both nothing more than free preview channels. For channels so low, I'd have expected they be regular channels instead of stuff like that.

To me, it feels like a waste because usually the lower channels are the main stations(like ABC,CBS,CTV,Global and so on) but having free preview channels mixed in with them to me just seems like maybe Rogers could've had better channels in that slot instead?

If people really wanted to tune into a free preview of a channel, why not just tune to that channel instead since you'd get the exact same feed(not to mention you can actually view the schedule of the shows airing,compared to the free preview channel which doesn't give you any information on the shows airing on the channel).

#3 ·
Those free preview channels, are relatively new, with some of the more recent removal/re-alignments.
I woldnt expect them to STAY free preview for very long, as they line up other channels, or re-align some of the others ones into the spots.

#4 ·
If it's simply the same channel mapped to two or more locations on the digital receiver, it will use no extra bandwidth. It uses the same frequency and the remapping is done in the receiver. If it's a unique promo channel like channel one, it uses an extra channel. That's also mapped to several other locations but they also use no extra bandwidth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.