Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaw Direct 2012 New Channels Discussion

141K views 353 replies 97 participants last post by  bigoranget 
#1 ·
New Channels always generate a lot of discussion so this thread is for discussing new channels in 2012.

You're welcome to speculate and discuss new channels coming to Shaw Direct in 2012 but PLEASE unless it's been confirmed by an official press release, be clear about what is speculation and what is fact.

A post saying "a CSR said it was coming" is NOT official, however, it does put it in the "highly" likely category.

If its posted on the CRTC site that its been approved by the CRTC but Shaw Direct has not said anything, I would consider that in the "not very likely at this time" category.

Replaces Shaw Direct 2011 New Channels Discussion

#30 ·
I think they (Shaw Direct) have made it clear we won't be getting many more new HD channels until the new sattelite is up and running. I think they should do as they did with the Frame, trade off. How many people listen to the radio stations through the dish,getting rid of them would free up space surely at least enough for the much coveted Space HD

#32 ·
I listen to the radio stations. Bad idea.

Here's an idea. Get rid of Space SD and replace it with Space HD. Why do we need channel duplication?

If you want more HD, why don't you change providers or just wait until they eventually get added? It obviously cannot be done all at once.

#31 ·
Some (but obviously not all) of those signals are used by retransmitters. One example is CFMI Rock 101 Vancouver is retransmitted at Donald Station, BC near Golden.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFMI-FM
I believe you would have to delete 10 radio stations to get 1 HD channel, since about 30 radio stations fit into one transponder.
We also don't know if there are contracts involved.

#33 ·
Ok so my point is you can't please evereyone no matter what you do. The original post was about adding Food HD which brought about posts complaining about it not being some different channel. So even if you added every available Hd channel someone would find something to grumble about because it's an express your opinion forum.

#35 ·
at this point they should just wait until the new satellite is up. once that is up there better be a huge upgrade in offerings including a college sports pack to show basketball and football games from espn/espn2, otherwise that's it for me.

once they do have the new offerings up, they also better not have a spike in cost. for a college sports pack, that should be ppv speciality, so of course a cost associated with that similar to what bell offers (currently $100 for football and basketball combined lasting sep-mar)

#38 ·
Regarding New Channels, Now that NFL Sunday Ticket is done, and when NHL Centre Ice ends in April, could Shaw Direct use this bandwidth space for adding some HD Speciality channels?

My thought is the bandwidth they are currently using for these sports packages when it comes available in April is it just left open? Could SD then use this space for speciality HD channels that they would like to add?

With Most Sport package subscribers being switched over this past fall to the new receivers, could they then package all the sports packages on to mpeg-4 format? Or would there still be a bandwidth crunch until the new satellite is up and functioning.

#39 ·
Not going to happen- these channels go to PPV when not used for NHL CI/ NFLST.
Also, come next fall- they would need to reclaim those channels back.

Just look at the stink caused by the deletion of The Frame for Food HD. Imagine if they added and then deleted 4 or 6 more channels.

#40 ·
I never heard of a stink of The Frame being dropped for a real HD channel (maybe some stink for it being Food and not Space), in fact I heard praise. I am more in the praise column.

As for the radio stations, I mostly wouldn't miss them, but like the convenience of them, especially having CBC Radio available to record on the TiVo (which does have program data for CBC Radio Toronto).

#41 ·
We're definitely in the minority, but we'll miss The Frame. It was nice eye candy in the background while listening to music with guests over. As an amateur photographer, it's educational and a nice revisit for areas like South-East Asia, where I travelled years ago. I haven't watched 10 minutes of BTN. That one can go!
As for radio stations, rural areas don't get over the air radio, so before Sirius & XM sat radio, we listened to it a lot, especially CKUA.

#42 ·
I"ll at least second the motion that my household is in the minority for missing the frame. We've a beautiful wall-mounted 60" lcd with surround sound and the frame photos with the spa-like music was perfect for relaxing or entertaining too. Some people entertain with music in the background, we used the frame. If there was ever any quiet moments in conversation, whatever gorgeous picture was now showing easily started up conversation again. What I like about it was it's use of being on and being in the background. Can't do that with "food" haha Shame we can't have all the channels we all want.

My 2 cents

#43 ·
If BTN goes, I Go. Other than the Score, It's my only break from the ridiculous, nonsensical, hockey obsessed "All Sports" Channels we unfortunately must put up with.

Not saying I want ESPN style coverage:

50% NFL Coverage
16% NCAA Coverage
16% NBA Coverage
16% MLB Coverage
2% NHL Coverage

But come on, TSN and SN can do so much more to improve their coverage of non-NHL events and news.

#44 ·
BTN gets pretty decent viewership with their football and basketball coverage. Out of all the college conferences, the big ten is probably the most popular in Canada. It's probably because many areas of Canada get Detroit locals and they have always had pretty extensive coverage of Michigan and Michigan State.

I certainly do not watch all the HD channels available but I don't have an issue with any of the channels that they carry. The only one I took issue with was "The Frame" and it's gone now. It's fine to have filler channels like that if you have the bandwidth but Shaw Direct's bandwidth is scarce so any available bandwidth should be prioritized for specialty channels and network television.

#46 ·
My Maths, or published documents, I forget, indicate the band used is only 250 Mhz (s opposded to 500 Mhz a satellite band usually has), so I reckon something like 16 transponders.

Currently, according to Lyngsat, Shaw Direct has about 3 to 4 HD MPEG2 channels per 8PSK transponder, 7 to 9 SD for MPEG2 QPSK, and 11 for MPEG4 QPSK.

Now, supposing that 3 MPEG4 channels can use the space of 1 MPEG2, and 8PSK will be used for modulation, it could mean around 8 HD channels per transponder, 128 HD channels total, less HD if you include some SD in that mix.

And that is only part one. Part two is they will start converting existing HD channels to start (by putting MPEG4 versions on G1 soon, then turning the MPEG2 version off eventually), and likely some QPSK MPEG2 later on, to MPEG4 8PSK, freeing up that much more space to add channels.

#49 ·
Also keep in mind Shaw Direct is missing 50+ HD channels in comparison to other providers. The other providers (Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Eastlink etc.) are still adding stations regularly, not just 1 or 2 per year like Shaw Direct. By the time G1 is in service, they will probably be missing 75+ or more. They will essentially be catching up to other providers. I don't expect that Shaw will ever have more HD then other providers. I fully expect that their HD service will continue to be weak in comparison to other providers.

#50 ·
I'm really curious as to new content and pricing. They can't increase prices too much or they will price themselves out of the market. Yet, they have new space they need to pay for.
The package pricing will be interesting. I'm really hoping for an HD only pack.
Suppose they will go to 720p?

#51 ·
I think they (Shaw Direct) have made it clear we won't be getting many more new HD channels until the new sattelite is up and running. I think they should do as they did with the Frame, trade off. How many people listen to the radio stations through the dish,getting rid of them would free up space surely at least enough for the much coveted Space HD
I listen to radio stations too so bad idea!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.