Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Cogeco Analogue to Digital Migration

Tags
cogeco huawei
116K views 150 replies 49 participants last post by  denben73 
#1 ·
Could not find a topic on this yet. I just got the Cogeco letter in the mail stating that I am about to my cable service upgraded to all Digital. I live in Chatham Ontario and all I have to say it is about time........

Very pleased to finally have my measly HD package improved......

Edit by 57 - here's the manual for the adaptor:

http://www.cogeco.ca/export/sites/c...tal_migration/pdf/DTA_Adapter-Setup-Guide.pdf

#30 ·
Keep in mind that Canada is converting to all digital effective August 2011; similar to what the U.S. did previously. I recall there being a big push for analogue customers in the U.S to obtain a cable box or they would have no signal. I agree with some previous posts, it is likely that Cogeco is testing a few small markets regarding conversion before it becomes mandatory later this year in all markets.

#32 ·
57:
To summarize...

- 2-70 on a NTSC TV tuner are analogue (ATSC/QAM as well?)
- 902-970 are those same analogue stations on a STB
- 2-70 on a STB are digital
- 81.3, etc. are those same digital stations on a ATSC/QAM TV tuner.

Having 902-970 being shown on a STB doesn't really use up bandwidth because they have to be there for the NTSC TV tuner anyways. Once everything is digital, it frees up bandwidth for other digital stations that use less bandwidth and 902-970 would go away.

I'm not sure in which forum/subforum I'm supposed to find the "FAQ - #3" that you suggested for "future".

#38 ·
I asked that question to a CSR last night and did not get an answer. I in fact called about the lack of Sportsnet One in Chatham and why we do not have that channel yet. I would like to be able to catch a few Blue Jays games this year.

All I got was...the area is undergoing upgrade to allow for new channels.

#39 ·
Well the wait for more HD channels in Chatham has finally come to an end. I was happy to turn on the tube last night and see many new HD channels in the guide.

I did not however see the new HD channels recently advertised (Oasis etc. . .).

I also noticed for the kids that Teletoon retro has shown up as well. I am not sure though how many new SD channels have also appeared in the guide with our recent change to digital.

#41 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is what I am currently getting as of this week:

701 CTV (CFTO) Toronto, ON HD
702 CBC (CBLT) Toronto, ON HD
703 SRC (CBLFT) Toronto HD
704 CITY TV Toronto, ON HD
705 Sun News HD
706 Global (CIII) Ontario HD
707 CHCH Hamilton, ON HD
708 OMNI.1 HD
709 OMNI.2 HD
712 ABC (WXYZ) Detroit, MI HD
713 CBS (WWJ) Detroit, MI HD
714 NBC (WDIV) Detroit, MI HD
715 PBS (WTVS) Detroit, MI HD
716 FOX (WJBK) Detroit, MI HD
717 ABC (KOMO) Seattle, WA HD
718 CBS (KIRO) Seattle, WA HD
719 NBC (KING) Seattle, WA HD
720 FOX (KCPQ) Tacoma, WA HD
729 TSN2 HD
731 TSN HD
734 Sportsnet (Ontario) HD
735 Sportsnet (East) HD
736 Sportsnet1 HD
739 Leafs TV HD
740 NBA TV Canada TV HD
741 The Score HD
742 Speed HD
743 Golf Channel HD
744 CBS Sports Network HD
752 MovieTime HD
753 History TV Canada HD
754 TLC Canada HD
755 A&E HD
756 APTN HD
757 Showcase Canada HD
758 National Geographic Canada HD
759 Bold HD
765 CBC News Network HD
770 Discovery World HD (CAN)
771 HDNet
780 M (The Movie Network) HD
781 HBO Canada HD - East
782 MExcess (M3) HD
783 MFun! (M4) HD
785 Mpix (PIX1) HD
788 Super Channel HD 1
789 Super Channel HD 2
793 WGN Chicago (SUPERSTATION) HD
794 WPIX New York (SUPERSTATION) HD
795 KTLA Los Angeles (SUPERSTATION) HD
796 WSBK (TV-38) Boston HD

#48 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got the letter today. I have one tv on analogue cable now, and then my HTPC is connected to analogue cable to stream basic tv over my LAN or over the internet.

They say we can get one adapter for free. Might as well order it. But any more are $2/month. And this doesn't help my poor analogue HTPC.

Also, is this correct that no more $2/month adapters will be offered come Sep 2nd? So that means everyone will have to sign up for full digital boxes?

#54 ·
My free adapter arrived in the mail yesterday. It's just a small digital receiver, the size of a book. I can't plug it in just yet, but I was surprised to read that not only is there no On-Demand, but there's also not even an electronic program guide (EPG). So they've made it as basic as possible, to make people want to get a regular receiver.

#56 ·
asif9t9, im guessing the part about it being "Free" has something to do with why its stripped down to the barebones with no IPG or ROD menus.

It might very well be what elderly people who are hesitant to switch to digital are looking for also.

let us know more about it when you have some more time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.