Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Toshiba Regza XV545 Cinema Series

23K views 49 replies 26 participants last post by  57 
#1 ·
Toshiba is relaunching its Cinema Series LCD TVs with the REGZA XV545 series.
USA Pricing and Availability

42XV545U ($1799.99 September)
46XV545U ($2299.99 September)
52XV545U ($2799.99 September)

No word on Canada

#2 ·
The top-of-the-line Cinema Series XV545 line offers advanced technology and picture quality and is available in 42.0-inch, 46.0-inch and 52.0-inch sizes (diagonal). This lineup includes Toshiba's new SRT upconversion technology, the AutoView feature for enhanced image quality at all times, no matter the surroundings, as well as Toshiba's new Double Skin Cabinetry. With double skin, the cabinet's outer skin is translucent, allowing you to see through to a second interior skin with texture behind it -- creating a feeling of dimension and a rich, luxurious look.

For fast action movies and sports, the XV545 line features Toshiba's ClearFrame technology, which virtually eliminates motion blur. The 120Hz system doubles the frame rate of an LCD TV from 60 frames per second to 120 frames per second, creating tire-spinning action sequences and game-winning sports moments that are more crisp and clear. All REGZA models with ClearFrame 120 Hz technology include Film Stabilization mode for a picture with smoother motion, and for those customers preferring a more film-like experience, Toshiba has also implemented a 5:5 Pull-Down process. This series also features 14-Bit PixelPure 4G Internal Digital Video Processing with 10-Bit LCD panels for 16,384 levels of gradation and Toshiba's ColorBurst wide color gamut for rich lifelike color. In addition, the XV545 series includes four HDMI inputs with REGZA LINK (HDMI-CEC) and Toshiba's SoundStrip speaker technology, which allows for home theater sound in a small strip beneath the screen.

To keep the avid gamer one step ahead, the line also offers Gaming Mode, which enhances the gaming experience by reducing game controller delay. When activated, Gaming Mode allows the video signal to bypass select picture circuitry to shorten the overall signal to screen response time. What this means is that the gamer has improved reaction time and a better overall experience.

Like all of Toshiba's new LCD TV lines, the XV545 features a CineSpeed panel for faster response times, DynaLight control for deeper black levels and is ENERGY STAR compliant.
From Toshiba Press Release

#3 ·
Canadian pricing now announced.

42XV545U - $1,600
46XV545U - $2,000
52XV545U - $2,500

#4 ·
I would like to hear about peoples thoughts and opinions on the new Toshiba XV545U Series of sets with "SRT" (Super Resolution Technology) which claims to make SD look as good as HD. I watch a lot of SD channels on cable and this would be great if it actually delivers on those claims.

I would like to know if anyone has bought one of these sets and have had a chance to see/evaluate them and ascertain if this "SRT" technology actually works?

#5 ·
Toshiba 52 inch LCD TV's

I would like to know if anyone has one of these TV's as well- we went and looked at Sony Bravia's today and they are outstanding, however we have a ten year old Toshiba that has always had a great picture and never a problem. So now I am trying to research high end high def. LCD Toshiba's. I am not familiar with all the technical details, bear with me as I ask questions. We would like to get a 52 inch, but I am not putting out many $ until I know I am getting something awesome. Any comments? Thanks from NJ.

#6 ·
I haven't had a chance to see the XV545, but I did see a Toshiba 52XF550U (52") beside a Pioneer 6020FD and I was impressed. I was surprised how well the Tosh picture looked compared to the Pioneer. It wasn't on torch mode and looked very nice to my eyeballs. I have yet to see an XV 545 but I am actively looking for a 52" so if I come across one in the next wee bit I'll pop back here and let you know what I found out.:) From what I have seen of Toshiba TVs so far I am partial to them.

#7 ·
Hazmat; I agree that the Regza's look awsome.
I looked at a 52XV540U at BB and was just blown away by the colours and details. Almost took it with me home, but decided to do some more research and came across the new 52XV545U and decided that I better wait and see what the "SRT" looks like.

So here I am in limbo with baited breath:eek::D

I am a newbie at this, so your input is appreciated!

#19 ·
Yes the 46 has a swivel stand. Also grabbed a Shaw Motorola 3616 - first HD movies I recorded were Bond From Russia with Love and Goldfinger. I am amazed with the HD recorded PQ from movies made in the early 1960's.

It was a hard choice between the Sony Z series and the Toshiba - a few weeks back the London Drugs in Langley had on a Montreal Candians game broadcast in SD on RDS - I was able to see all the TV's with SD - to my eye both the Toshiba and the Sony were good. Price was the ultimate deciding factor as I was able to purchase the Toshiba 545 and the 3416 for the same total cost as the Sony was by itself. Shaw gave me a free month of all HD - I think I will only go with the 10 free HD Channels and the Sports package when the free preview is over.

#22 ·
I got a set of 42" 545 for my bedroom and move my crappy Bravia to basement for my kids to play Wii. I think I waste money again(glad it only cost me >$1G)! Is it still better than the crappy Sony, yes but I wish I should spend a bit more to get a Panny plasma instead. PQ on both SD & HD are way way behind my 5080 Pio Kuro. I think I really hate the haze screen from the LCD and what really disappoint me is that the toshiba having big issue to hook up with PC. I spent 2 hr trying all kind of resolution and still not able to get a 1 to 1 pixel mapping without seriously underscan or overscan. And yes, I already use DVE to calibrate it.

#23 ·
The XV545U has an option to turn that backlight off. From the manual:

Selecting the TOSHIBA Illumination
mode
You can set the illumination mode of the TOSHIBA logo
located on the front panel to On or Off.
To set the TOSHIBA Illumination mode:
1 From the Setup menu, highlight TOSHIBA
Illumination and press c.
2 Press B or b to select either On or Off, and press T.

#24 ·
I had a chance to check out the 42" 545 today at the local Best Buy and was quite pleased with the picture, although the only thing it was showing was a Regza demo video. The blacks were nice and deep, colours bright and detailed with good contrast. I also had a chance earlier this weekend (at Sears of all places) to compare the Panasonic 42PZ80 Plasma with some comparably-priced Sharp and LG LCD's all displaying the same content and I was really impressed with the higher level of detail and colour on the Panasonic--the LCD's colours looked "flatter" and noticeably lost a bit of detail when the picture panned. What I liked about Sears was that they had the remotes all out to let you mess around with the settings a bit. I think I'm down to the Toshiba 545 and Panasonic PZ80 at this point--I'll have to find a place where I can compare these side-by-side with the same content.

#26 ·
The 52XF550U is the predecessor to the XV545U (but with a 'super narrow bezel'). Here's a review of the 550U: http://ultimateavmag.com/flatpaneldisplays/708tosh550u/

Toshiba was very big in the RPTV market but has a very small presence in the LCD scene. From what I've been told, they are not supporting their LCD product too well from a marketing/service standpoint. As a result many distributors and showrooms have dropped their line.

#28 ·
Super thin gone?

Why do the newer regzas not have the super narrow bezel?

I'm interested in the same line as discussed here, but in 46 inch.

The 46xf550U with the kick ass super thin bazel, was replaced by the 46xv545u, which is very similar performance wise, but has the SRT upconverting technology int it (wiether or not that's useful I don't know), and is Energy Star qualified.

I personally love that super thin Bazel, and the picture quality of Regzas in general. My eyes love regza period. But I currently own the 46rf35ou, and would like to put it in my basement and get the newest 120hz thin Bezel for my main HT, only there isn't one.

Don't get me wrong, I am VERY happy with my 60hz Regza, and the only reason for upgrading is that I simply want another one, and would like to get the best I can in the line right now. My 60hz model surprised me! No motion problems at all during movies. EVER. And and i've sat and looked for it. The only time I have seen any issues is from cable tv, and that's the source, not the tv. For gaming, there has never been motion problems either, and I've looked for it, and so has my buddy who is a plasma owner. Even he was impressed. And IMO Regza looks better than Sharp and most Sony lcds, which is why I want another.

I can either get the 46xv545u with it's extra few features, and have to completely alter my speaker placement because of room size issues, or try to get the 46xf55ou, which is almost impossible now, and I would miss out in features. Or I could down size to the 42 inch, and get the new features, but lose some size. Plus I'm usiing a 42 inch stand, and the thin bazel 46 inch fits perfect on it. IT sucks, and those extra few inches for me matter, my room is barely big enough for 7.1, and that thin bazel allows for the front speaker placement to do it.

They need to make a true upgrade for the xf550u line, and keep the super thin bezel, it was awesome! It was one of if not THE best feature of the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.