Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Discussion

9K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  snfraser 
#1 ·
I recieved my tab last night in thew mail and i have to say i am quite impressed with the tablet.
Ok so i currently own 2 Ipad(one for the wife), a HP touchpad(firesale) and now this tab(got a good deal on it) so i do have other to comapre to..

I am new to android so i am still playhing with the OS.. but first imprssions is its very good. if you could mash all 3 OS together you would have an awesome tablet. But that goes without saying.

I was dissappointed to hear canadians have not recieved the touchwiz update(or at least not of all us) becasue i hear that adds more value to the tab, so I will wait and see when and if we get the update.

Preloaded with some cool apps, the Navigation app is great, way better then Ipad Maps.. Samsung Hub is cool for some free apps.. (didn't have to pay for angry birds!) and a host of social apps makes the apps included a winner for Galaxy as well.

Screen.. i am getting used to the wider portrait of the galaxy.. but the resolution does seem better then the Ipad..

I won't comment on size and weight as i don't have an IPAD 2 to compare but according to the specs they are about the same.

Andoid market looks good and lots of apps(confused on teh pricing structure..??) but Ipad has more so they get the nod here..

all in all if i din't have so much invested in IPADs i would defiantly consider the Galaxy.. i think i will keep it and get rid of the HP(which has its own advatages - just too heavy..)

I still love my Ipad, just waiting for IPAD 3 and that new display !!!!

any other Galaxy owners out there.. give me any tips ??

See less See more
#29 ·
Yes, I got it off the Canadian site too I believe, so free shipping. NCIX - Netlink Computer Inc.

Well, with Pogoplug, I don't see my desktop's files exactly. You have to transcode files over and store them on another hard drive, which I have in a Buffalo CloudStor unit. So while I have transferred a lot of the files on my desktop over, they end up being separate files, because they're optimized for playback on portable devices.

The 16GB does come with Bluetooth... I use Bluetooth headphones all the time. So when I'm watching things off the cloud, or slinging, I truly have a wireless connection all around!

I heard that they will be rolling out an upgrade to ICS in this quarter, or the next. But being on Rogers in Canada, it may be longer than that too.

#31 ·
The Galaxy 10.1 arrived yesterday. Very nice. 16Gb, 4G, but I am not setting up a 4G account just now.

Tried copying an .mkv file to the tablet and playing it, and it did not play well. Then again, it may have still been copying, so will try again later. The playback was not smooth at all, not watchable.

Very nice display. Had to turn off the auto brightness, since it was constantly going dark-bright-dark-bright-etc.

Lots to learn with Android! I now have one Android 2.3 device and one Android 3 device, and they are quite different.

#32 ·
If you already have a smartphone, you can add the tablet as a data shared device for a relatively low price if you're with Rogers (and maybe others too). That's what I did. I have 6 GB to use across both devices, and the meter shows the overall used between both devices, which is good. I might have to upgrade to 10 GB, as my usage it approaching 6 GB / month, and I'd like to use more!

.MKV files are usually HD quality sources, so they do require a lot of processing power, which the tablet might not have for certain clips. I did get some clips off of YouTube in HD though which I did transfer over to the tablet, and they looked great on there... really stunning quality.

#33 ·
If you already have a smartphone, you can add the tablet as a data shared device for a relatively low price if you're with Rogers (and maybe others too).
I am with Rogers, and both my partner and I have iPhone 3Gs's. I have tethered a laptop to my phone before through USB. However, my iPhone no longer works on 3G.

Besides, I anticipate using this tablet on Wifi only, at least for now. I was just surprised, since nothing in the Rogers literature for the deal indicates that the tablet would be anything but a basic Wifi model.

.MKV files are usually HD quality sources, so they do require a lot of processing power, which the tablet might not have for certain clips. I did get some clips off of YouTube in HD though which I did transfer over to the tablet, and they looked great on there... really stunning quality.
I have an el-cheapo 7" tablet ($69 new!) that plays all the hidef .mkv files I have put onto it. That tablet has a microSD slot, so it is much easier and faster to get video, photos, etc onto it. If that tablet can play hidef video, I expect the Galaxy 10.1 to do at least as well.....

Been too busy to play with the Galaxy as much as I would like to. We are in Belleville this week for a dance workshop, so it will be Sunday evening at the earliest before I can get back to it, and we will likely be crashing and recoving by then. Saturday is going to be a very, very long day - we both teach at the workshop, plus we are the event DJs, so we are the first to arrive and the last to leave.....

#34 ·
Transferring files to the Galaxy 10.1

I must be missing something.

First, there does not appear to be any sort of file manager on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that can see my network. I had to download a new file manager. Am I missing something with the default applications?

Second, the only way to get files onto the Galaxy is to copy them across the Wifi network?

When plugged into a USB port, my system does not see the tablet at all. I had hoped it would look like an external hard drive so I could copy files to the tablet, but no luck there. Should my system see the tablet when attached via USB cable?

I see there are dongles that will plug into the Galaxy's port, some of which have SD or microSD readers. Would that be a faster way of moving files to the Galaxy?

A bit of background - we use the 7" el-cheapo tablet to watch videos at times. Primarily when at the gym and doing 30 minutes of cardio on a machine. That works well, and the distance is about right for the size of screen. I would like to do the same with the Galaxy 10.1, but it means being able to move files onto the tablet, then removing them and replacing them with new ones as the shows are watched. I have been watching old Top Gear episodes (I have all series from 1 through the current 18), and will be starting to watch Farscape (I have all four seasons plus the Peackeeper Wars finale). My GF is into Dexter and Revenge.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
AFAIK, there's no file manager you can use on the Tab to see your network, at least by default. I would guess there's something in the market though.

As for the USB thing, I dont have mine in front of me, but i'm pretty sure when you plug it in, you need to go to the settings drawer in the lower right, and you should see something in the notification bar that says "turn on UMTP mode" or something like that. You need to hit that.

Kinda confusing, because my Nexus S pops up a screen autmoatically when I plug it into my computer......... but the Tab doesn't.

#36 ·
As for the USB thing, I dont have mine in front of me, but i'm pretty sure when you plug it in, you need to go to the settings drawer in the lower right, and you should see something in the notification bar that says "turn on UMTP mode" or something like that. You need to hit that.
Thanks, I will try that.

Found the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for Dummies book on Kobo, have started reading it. On my 7" tablet....kind of ironic! The 7" tablet is nicer for reading in terms of holding and screen size, but both my iPhone and Galaxy have far superior screens. Such is life......

Did install a file manager that sees the network. I am not sure if it keeps copying files when you put the unit into sleep mode (is that the right term?). One of the folders I need to copy over has many, many smallish files. To be precise, just over 62,000 files in 28 folders occupying about 136Mb. All small text files, this is reference material that I keep at hand.

Just found some neat and inexpensive accessories on dx<dot>com, who I have dealt with in the past. May take a while for them to get here, but the cost savings justify the wait.....

#37 ·
How do I get the Rogers live tv app to work?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the samsung galaxy 10.1 and I have the whole home pvr nextbox along with internet and phone and I've downloaded the app and I have a My rogers account as well as the 3.2 version yet everytime I try to log in it keeps saying You must be logged in to Your home service which I am though and an error number 101. about a week ago I tried it and it said unable to connect right now. I don't get it has anyone else with the same tablet been able to get it working with just the wifi or do You need a data plan because nowhere does it state that.

#41 ·
Questions re: promotional Tab 10.1

I'm thinking of selling the Galaxy Tab 10.1 I received from Telus for a recent signup. (THIS IS NOT A SALES SOLICITATION, so please don't contact me to purchase it!! I know where to sell it.) I have some questions:

- is this device unlocked or is it tied to Telus?
- would the buyer be undertaking any contract obligations?
- does it make any difference if I unseal the box? It's still second hand.

I'll call Telus on Monday with the same questions, but the office is closed right now, and I'm interested in people's experience.

#44 ·
Been on vacation in the Atlantic provinces, just home late last night. The ICS update notice arrived while I was away, but I was hesitant to let it happen when using some hotel's Wifi.

Download started last night, and install this morning. So far, so good.

One thing - all my apps are not in any order that i can figure out. Definitely not alphabetical order, and no way to change how they are sorted. And I can find no way to control what order the apps are in.

Anyone else run into this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.