Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

New Build - Pre-wiring for video matrix question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  TechieFreak 
#1 ·
New House. Pre-wired cat6. Video matrix needed. This? https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_Matrix_HDbaseT_HD4xSTPMX_over CAT6.html or https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI matrix switch 4x4.html ? Also these for each TV? https://www.octavainc.com/HDMI_extender_HD70STPEX.html
I am open to (cheaper) suggestions. The original post is below, but I felt I could shorten it for people who skim (like myself).

Thanks for the input!

Original post:
I am building a new house, and have just had an appointment with our home automation company. As we are already exceeding our budget, and my wife doesn't much care about this stuff, we only did very minimal stuff. Basically, 4xcat6 and coax, to each room, and my living room also has 7.1 pre-wired for my existing speakers. All they are providing is the cabling for now, with the option I can get them to finish the job later. I am fairly comfortable doing this stuff myself, but I'm pretty new to video over hdmi, video matrix equipment, etc. Okay, okay, that sounds like i'm not comfortable with this at all -- I ran ethernet to all my bedrooms in my current house, but that was 5 years ago, and that was literally just cat5e for networking only. What this guy wants to do is obviously more involved than that. Can I take the wire, and create the video matrix myself? I think so. I just need some advice getting pointed in the right direction. He actually didn't tell me what I needed to buy, but showed me a network controller, and the video switcher.

nathan

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you looked into HD BaseT? This allows: "for transmission of uncompressed high-definition video (HD), audio, power, home networking, and some control signals, over a common cable (CAT-6 or CAT-5E) with a standard connector". I think it is similar to the Octava stuff but it is a standard so the stuff should be cheaper than a proprietary system.

Personally, I would think you are good with 4xCAT-6 to each room. That should be lots. If you ever need more then you can always add a switch to the CAT-6 outlet that is carrying your LAN since 1 Gbps is plenty fast to carry lots of signals.

Monoprice sells some HD Base T stuff like a 4x2 matrix and receiver for $300.

The other thing to keep in mind is whether this stuff supports the new video standards like 4K (aka 2160p) or even 8K. The existing HDMI standards only support 4K at 24fps. I am assuming that you don't ever want to have to redo this sort of stuff.

#4 ·
Personally, I would think you are good with 4xCAT-6 to each room. That should be lots. If you ever need more then you can always add a switch to the CAT-6 outlet that is carrying your LAN since 1 Gbps is plenty fast to carry lots of signals.
+1 with Wayne's suggestion of 4XCAT-6 cables to each room (except bathrooms of course). In bedrooms I'd suggest putting 2 sets of cables at opposite corners for furniture configurations. Also, don't forget to run a few pairs of RG-6 to each room too. Right now, 4 sets of cables to each room seems excessive. But then 15 years ago, not too many people considered even more than one cable. In fact, you might even want to run a CAT-6 behind the refrigerator. Right now, those Bosch and Samsung fridges with the LCD touch-screens seem out of reach for most people, but who knows in 5 years?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.