Blu-Ray Player That Streams Music & Wireless Updating - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2009-03-28, 03:49 PM   #1
Tu Kewl

Default Blu-Ray Player That Streams Music & Wireless Updating

Is there a blu ray player out there that will play my mp3's on it via a USB connection and an external hard drive? I have noticed that the Oppo 83 said that it can play music from a USB flash drive. I'm wondering if it makes a difference if its a flash drive or an external hard drive.

Also, is there any player out there that will allow me to stream my music to the player wirelessly? I guess the PS3 is an option, but I want to stay away from a PS3 if possible.

Finally, I've noticed that a lot of blu-ray players say that they have ethernet ports to connect to the internet and update firmware. Are there any players that can connect to the internet wirelessly? I guess this will coincide with being able to stream music wirelessly as well.

I seem to always ask the questions of the ultimate electronics that do everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if what I'm asking for doesn't exist. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-28, 07:34 PM   #2
das75

I'm interested as well.

If you can't find one that does stream and just get a player, heads up the Sony S350, wouldn't even play MP3s.

btw, the 360 and the Wii also take streaming
Old 2009-03-28, 10:46 PM   #3
Tu Kewl

I actually have an xbox, but I got some problems with that. For one thing, the xbox doesn't recognize music unless it is on the computer's actual harddrive. Hard to believe but its true. It doesn't recognize my external harddrive music on it even though it is in Windows Media Player. I also have some issues with 5.1. It's not worth getting into in this thread.

I read a little bit more on the oppo, and supposedly some user said that they actually played music from their external harddrive. Didn't stream it though, it was connected via USB.

The Oppo also doesn't have wireless, but it was recommended to get an ethernet to wireless adapter to get it to work. No mention on actually streaming music, but good for firmware updating.
Old 2009-03-28, 10:48 PM   #4
jayoldschool
Veteran

I know it isn't the answer you are looking for, but the PS3 will do everything you want (and much more). It is also probably the fastest loading BD player out there...
Old 2009-03-31, 02:53 PM   #5
poutanen

Why do you want to stay away from the PS3???? Cost? For a long time it was the best price BluRay player, for a long time it's been the best deal, and likely still is the best deal if you'll use it for MP3's, etc.

I ended up putting my entire MP3 and CD collection on the PS3 and I use it as my main media source now. If I'm hanging out and don't feel like watching TV, the PS3 is on playing one of a few playlists I've made.

:edit it's great using the Bluetooth remote to change songs when you're sittin on the john and something you don't like comes on...
Old 2009-03-31, 03:09 PM   #6
supergenius

I find it really interesting all these threads lately where people are requesting blu-ray players that include media-extender like attributes. In my mind its a really simple answer: PS3. I don't really understand why people are purposely dismissing the PS3. Is it cost? The fact that it also plays video games? The lack of IR?
Old 2009-03-31, 04:03 PM   #7
Toolatecrew

I agree if you want one device that plays BluRay, music from HD and also steam music from a PC why say "I want to stay away" from the one device that actually does that?

If you just can't stand the thought of a PS3 then you can buy a BR player and some kind of Media extender which will probaly cost you about as much as a PS in the end anyways or you could buy a BR player and a high end AVR like the Denon 3808 I have which will play music from Flash drive or stream it from a PC (but the interface is pretty clunky if you ask me).
Old 2009-03-31, 06:19 PM   #8
scampbell

If you buy the PS3 Blu-Ray remote (which is around $20), the PS3 will work just like a Blu-Ray player and you don't need to play with game controllers if that was your concern.

EDIT: I note that you can load other operating systems onto the PS3. Does anyone know if someone has made a "Blu-Ray" player OS for people that want the game-playing functionality to go away?
Old 2009-03-31, 06:35 PM   #9
jayoldschool
Veteran

Why would you want the game-playing functionality to go away? Just don't play games! The PS3 won't mind
Old 2009-03-31, 06:40 PM   #10
poutanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampbell View Post
If you buy the PS3 Blu-Ray remote (which is around $20), the PS3 will work just like a Blu-Ray player and you don't need to play with game controllers if that was your concern.

EDIT: I note that you can load other operating systems onto the PS3. Does anyone know if someone has made a "Blu-Ray" player OS for people that want the game-playing functionality to go away?
Also, there is an IR-Bluetooth unit that will add full PS3 control functions to a universal remote. Unfortunately it's about $100.

As far as the operating system goes, I think the PS3 OS is quite decent. It's nice how things are organized into music, pics, vids, and games, and I don't think people would have trouble navigating around to play their movies. You could just leave autoplay on and it'll act like a DVD player...
Old 2009-03-31, 07:05 PM   #11
HT gearhead

The perfect setup would be if you could connect an XBox 360 HDDVD addon to the PS3 and play both hidef formats on one machine. All you really need is a driver the PS3 will recognise, perhaps running in linux?