Audio over DVI - It WORKS!!! (On Computers) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2007-12-13, 03:32 PM   #16
smnc

Tikker is mostly right.
This motherboard is brand new, and previously I was using a Asus M2A-VM, which lacks an onbaord HDMI port, so I was forced to use an DVI-HDMI cable for video and s/pdif coax to my Dolby decoder.
I was planning on eventually switching to an HDMI cable, but for setup purposes it was easier to use the existing DVI-HDMI cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-12-15, 09:55 PM   #17
dj_tnt
Rookie

Hi guys.

I've ordered a motherboard from ASRock (4CORE1333-FULLHD) just recently that has the Radeon x1250 built-in. I chose it for my HTPC project because among the list of features are:
  • Chipset embedded HDMI Audio which supports HDMI signal through DVI-D port by using DVI to HDMI adapter (not bundled)
  • Supports HDCP function with DVI-D port, to enjoy better quality with High Definition HDCP Encryption contents
  • Supports 1080p Blu-ray (BD) / HD-DVD playback with DVI-D port

Basically - as you have been speculating about - this is a feature of the x1250 / RS600 chip and is intentional. If you were not able to output audio through the DVI port of these boards, they wouldn't be as good for HTPC use because most amplifiers require that sound is transmitted together with the picture digitally via the HDMI cable.

If sound is not transmitted via HDMI, the HDCP Encryption is not supported and the ability to play Blu-Ray and HD-DVDs is lost.
Old 2007-12-24, 08:58 PM   #18
scibot
Rookie

hi, i stumbled across this post whilst I was trying to understand why my DVI enabled TV (no HDMI) has managed to play sound from my ps3 without any auxiliary cables or any other modifications.

I have a HDMI > DVI adapter attached from PS3 to crappy store brand TV.

I realised it plays audio via the hdmi-dvi link when i attached the phono's from the Multi-AV lead to my amp, and sound was still coming from my TV.

I dont understand how the HDMI cable is sending sound to my TV via the DVI input - it makes no sense. I have an xbox 360 elite on the way, i wonder if this also works the same.

I have a video available for any non-believers, i just wondered if anyone has an answer.

cheers
buncey
Old 2007-12-28, 06:58 PM   #19
Eluder

Nothing out of the ordinary, ATI's new HD 3800 series of video cards can pass audio via the DVI to HDMI port including in the packages. I'll be using one of these cards for my HTPC as soon as it arrives early next week.
Old 2007-12-30, 11:01 AM   #20
JimmyFace

Yeah, the 2600xt does this as well. It's a DVI port on the card and they provide a DVI to HDMI adapter. The DVI port must have slightly different pins or something because the DVI to HDMI adapter I was using on my previous video card worked fine but wouldn't pass video when used with the ATI card. You had to use ATI's DVI to HDMI adapter.

It through me for a loop for a good hour or so.

Jimmy.
Old 2008-06-29, 03:10 AM   #21
JMF1081
Rookie

Quote:
This is not a pure DVI-D connection. If it were, you'd have no sound. The DVI-I/or A connection must contain the sound capability from a PC and is connected to HDMI at the other end. The HDMI is carrying the sound as it should. If you had a pure DVI connection, you would have no sound.
I know nobody has posted to this thread in a while, but I have a question of that I did not see an answer too...

smnc, how many pins are on the dvi cable you are using?
Does the flat long pin at the end have 2 pins on either side of it?
Old 2008-06-29, 11:13 AM   #22
merve04

For sure hes got a HD Radeon card running, and has a DVI to HDMI cable with the necessary pins making contact to grab the audio,, if indeed he unplugs his toslink cable and he has sound,, then I believe its comming from the video card,, I got a HTPC that I just completed here with a Radeo4850 hooked up with the DVI to HDMI cable that came from my BEV9242 to my Onkyo and I got sound and image being sent to the TV. Its all good. But yes,, if it were lets say a previous generation ATi card, (non-HD) and hooked up the DVI port to the amp, no sound. DVI as a standalone has no sound.
LG 32LS3400|Telus CIS330