XBOX or PS2 Live - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2002 and Prior

Old 2003-12-29, 04:35 PM   #16
Joxer

If its DSL then it's running PPPoE, and either your computer or your router has to handle that. I doubt the XBOX handles that itself. Routers are cheap - I'd just go get one that is compatable. Never had a problem with my SMC wireless router (using one of the wired lan ports) just plugged it in and away it went.
Advertisement

Old 2003-12-29, 04:40 PM   #17
StreetPreacher

It's DSL, but i'm not up to speed on ppoe... Guess i'll have to do some reading.

I tried hooking it up at my folks place over christmas with a liksys router and it started up no problem. Turns out the router I have at my place (SMC) is on Microsofts black list.... I went out to look for a compatible router but the place was out of stock, and wants $59.99 for them.

I was hoping i could just plug it straight into the modem, but as you said it doesn't look like that will work either.

-Sp

on further investigation it seems xbox might support ppoe!!
"From the Xbox Dashboard, choose Settings, and then Network Settings.
Configure your Xbox console to use PPPoE settings provided by Bell Sympatico.
From the Network Settings screen, choose Connect."
Old 2003-12-29, 04:54 PM   #18
TVJunkie

sorry use rogers but sympatico is supported

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/connect/providers.htm

Whats the config do you have a hub or are you plugging direct into modem. are you using a cross over cable

did you check out rotuer compatabilaty list.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/conne...patibility.htm

did you use DHCP or static IP.

Can you ping the xbox

Is the XBOX modded (with a mod chip or software mod) or out of box?

for a cheap compatable router try factorydirect.ca

For the best XBOX support Q&A try http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php

this is a great site and lost of work being done on HD and XBOX with Linux as well as Turning XBOX Into PVR
Old 2003-12-29, 11:31 PM   #19
StreetPreacher

Thanks Junkie!

I actually found the specific provider instructions on the xbox website shortly after posting ops:

Turns out that the xbox is pppoe capable, and all i had to do was enter my sympatico user name and pass into the xbox network setup screen.

Everything is working great now, only problem is that the router i bought a few months back is specifically called out on the microsoft website as 'unsupported'. Guess if I want to get the box on the home net i'll have to get a different unit.

How much are the compatible ones going for at factory direct? And are there any other models that are compatible other than the ones listed on the xbox website??

-Sp

oh, and i knew about the scene board :wink:
Old 2003-12-30, 09:54 AM   #20
Joxer

Ok, so it does do PPPoE native (not sure what hit this means for the XBox in processor speed - it was a noticeable hit on my father's old PIII450) but that means unplugging the rest of your computers from the 'net to go Live if your router isn't supported. I do use a SMC, think its a 7004AWBR (bought back when these still went for $400+) never did anything but plug it into the router and off it went. I don't actually use the Live service as often as I should considering the cost - can't say when the last time was that I gave it a try. Hopefully it still works - I did configure my router to shut out unknown MAC addresses on top of the WEP for security and might have inadvertently shut out the Xbox.

Your best bet is to try the usual suspects and keep an eye out for deals. I've seen wireless routers on sale a number of times at FS for $40, but after mail in rebates etc. If your router is fine other than XBox Live then there's probably someone you know who can use it or sell it for a couple of bucks to help cover the costs. NCIX can have some decent deals too but shipping eats into that a bit.
Old 2004-01-02, 09:01 PM   #21
TVJunkie

Factory direct has routers starting at about $10 http://www.factorydirect.ca check the compat list

There is one other option I use xbconnect you need a PC and an XBOX no router required oh and it's free there are hundreds of gamers on line but does not support live games only xbox to xbox games.

Also you maybe able to just put a second nic in PC and us it as a router :-)
that will set you back $10 for a cheap PCI 10mbit ethernet card.
Old 2004-01-03, 10:29 AM   #22
TVJunkie

hmmm this new one just gone beta looks like you don't need live any more

http://www.xboxlink.co.uk/
Old 2004-01-03, 11:07 AM   #23
Petee_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrogoss
Your best bet is to try the usual suspects and keep an eye out for deals. I've seen wireless routers on sale a number of times at FS for $40, but after mail in rebates etc. If your router is fine other than XBox Live then there's probably someone you know who can use it or sell it for a couple of bucks to help cover the costs. NCIX can have some decent deals too but shipping eats into that a bit.
Hey Jethro.

Long time no speak, ride or xboxlive!

I just bought a Dlink 614+ wireless router from tigerdirect.ca Should be $35 after $20 rebate.

Works great with live.

P
Old 2004-01-07, 04:19 PM   #24
Joxer

I'm thinking about dusting off my copy of GP2 to make use of my live subscription costs - keep an eye out for me. I suck pretty bad right now though, despite reading the new Nick Ienatsch (sp) book.
Old 2004-01-15, 02:24 PM   #25
Pinchio

Default Xbox with 50HDX82 what gives???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurse
I have a pretty busy schedule as I'm sure many of you do, but sitting down and playing a session on Xbox Live on my 50HDX82 at a days end can be a lot of fun from time to time.
I have the same set and I have XBOX. I must admit that I'm not overwhelmed that the quality of the games on this HDTV set was worth the XBOX purchase. I love this set otherwise and DVD with p-scan player look amazing.

What games have you played with this setup and what did you experience in terms of the visuals. I too have HALO and was impressed with regular composite cables, then I purchased the MAD CATZ advanced av-kit [and since then I'v have been using component inputs]. I was not impressed with the visuals after that, too grainy and pixelated. I also have Counter-Strike and cannot even play it since it looks so terrible. The cross hairs seem to be out of focus as well as any icon/indicator overlays for health, weapon etc...look out of focus. The game that really blew me away was Rally Car Challenge, the setup screens looked terrible but in game visuals we excellent.

I'm aware that this set does not accept 720p natively and upconverts to 1080i but in my case I don't think this was ever an issue since the games I've been playing are lower res versions.

I got my XBOX for xmas and really have only played those games mentioned. Since you obviously have had this setup longer than I have what have your experiences been like?

Cheers and thanks
Old 2004-01-15, 05:11 PM   #26
Proteosome
Veteran

TV Junkie:

Any problems using the link games online as opposed to going live? And have you ever attempted to hook up the XBOX wirelessly?

My XBOX is far from my high speed and I don't want to run a cable to it. I also don't want to spend $200 on the XBOX wireless adaptor. Have you come across this?
Old 2004-01-15, 05:20 PM   #27
Pinchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteosome
TV Junkie:

Any problems using the link games online as opposed to going live? And have you ever attempted to hook up the XBOX wirelessly?

My XBOX is far from my high speed and I don't want to run a cable to it. I also don't want to spend $200 on the XBOX wireless adaptor. Have you come across this?
No I have not used the "link games online" and I'm not even sure what your referring to. As for the wireless option. If you have a wireless router then simply move the router closer to the xbox. Since it's wireless it don't matter where in the house you have it located [to some degree]. This way you can run your ethernet cable to the XBOX.

You can pick up a wireless router faily easily these days. If you don't want to purchase a wireless access point [the PCI card that is inserted into PC/Laptop] then make sure your wireless router is also a switch, with LAN inputs/outputs.

Just wondering, did you respond in this topic cause you have a Toshiba 50hdx82 or one from that family as well as XBOX? If you do then I'd be curious to know what your reponse to my previous post would be.

Cheers
Old 2004-01-15, 08:12 PM   #28
Proteosome
Veteran

for "link games online" I was referring to playing XBOX games not on the live service but using the link play. Available where two XBOX's are connected directly similar to a LAN in your house. It is now possible to use this link over the internet to similate XBOX live with some games.

I guess I did not realize that a wireless router also had the capability to go "wired" through X number of ports. I will look into that.

I have an Hitachi 51s500. I find most games don't look the greatest on the TV but that is because I stretch them to 16x9. I have not yet used the HD setup for the XBOX. I need to buy a switch first for the extra input.