LG LDA-530 DIVX player anyone? - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2006-03-16, 03:33 PM   #91
aqk

Default LG LDA-530 DIVX player anyone?

Quote:
I hear what you're saying (that the player should have ignored the bad spot), but there is also some responsibility on the user side ... to make sure the files are clean, not corrupted.
go, get the player. you won't regret it.
Yeah thanx -
It's just that my friend wanted to watch this particular TV series, and it was only available to him on DivX (actually Xvid) so they went out and bought the LDA530 on MY RECOMMENDATION.
And the first (actually the 3rd) file they watch locks up the DVD player. Grrr... makes me look bad.

I suspect there's a lot of work that still needs to be done on set-top Divx/MP4 before it's ready for prime time.
When I put the offending AVI through VirtualDub, so as to edit out the bad spots, it immedately reported there was an audio error on the original, altho it didn't seem apparent: it said the Audio was out of sync by several seconds, and of course once I'd made a copy, then the Audio WAS out of sync, unlike the original. And it's not worth extracting a WAV, and re-inserting it properly and recompressing an XVid- it would take HOURS!

But as you said, the LG is the best value and I probably WILL buy it for myself, once FS has it back at $79 again!

I just wish there was some firmware upgrade info available for it tho!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-03-16, 05:12 PM   #92
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqk
I suspect there's a lot of work that still needs to be done on set-top Divx/MP4 before it's ready for prime time.
I just wish there was some firmware upgrade info available for it tho!!
this player is actually DivX certified, but again if you throw a badly encoded file at it ... it might not like it. It should have been able to handle the situation better, no doubt.

I actually updated my firmware with an unofficial one: http://pwp.netcabo.pt/dhammer/
Old 2006-03-17, 12:18 PM   #93
Bantamcc

Default LDA-530 Replaced with LDA-531..happy with it

Explained to AQK that it probably was a source or DIVX conversion problem. Those AVI's came from me but can't recall if I was ever was able to play them in the PIONEER DV-588A which I had at the time. I'm trying to get my hands on the faulty episodes in question to confirm AQK's suspicions but my neighbour is having a hard time locating them.

Since then I've upgraded from the Pioneer to the LDA-530 and then to the LDA-531. I noticed no noticable problems except for episodes that we're converted in a high quality format that produced episodes of 700 meg. or so. There is a truth to the DIVX compliancy not quite being up to scratch as both the Pioneer and LG did not play this file put all played ok on my laptop.

Very satisfied with the LDA-531 and there is an interesting thread @ http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/for...oto=nextnewest which explains the upconverting feature of the 531 and how it will play copied versions of movies thru the HDMI port but not thru component. A must read.

btw- Do you know if that firmware upgrade will work for the LDA-531 ? No mention of it on the LG website !
Old 2006-03-17, 12:50 PM   #94
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bantamcc
btw- Do you know if that firmware upgrade will work for the LDA-531 ? No mention of it on the LG website !
sorry I have no idea about the firmware ... one BIG show-stopper for me (about LDA-531) is the fact it does not play high resolution mpegs and avis. In a case of an upconverting player, this is unacceptable (to me). I know there are very few players that do this, but I will wait patiently for the one that does it ... I can see it already, on the horizont waving at me :-)
Old 2006-03-30, 11:39 PM   #95
lkjhgfdsa

Hey guys, jsut bought a LDA 530 and i hooked the digital optical output to my reciever but i cant get any sound to come out. anyone know if i have to change a setting in the DVD players to make the audio output the optical instead of the rca jacks?
Old 2006-03-31, 04:46 PM   #96
atari8472

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjhgfdsa
anyone know if i have to change a setting in the DVD players to make the audio output the optical instead of the rca jacks?
I don't think so, unless it's a "special" audio, like DTS, then I think you might have to enable it (DTS) in the player's menu.

Are you sure you have your audio receiver pointing to the correct digital input ?
On my receiver, for example I can assign Optical 1, Optical 2, Coaxial 1 and Coaxial 2 to any component selector (DVD, CD, TV, DVR ...)
Old 2006-04-05, 02:27 PM   #97
lkjhgfdsa

hey, yah i have it set on DVD 6ch and i change it to optical imput 1 (which is the dvd player) and theres no sound, as well when i play straight through rca jack into my 6 ch ports it only plays our of 2 of the 6 speakers beucase i only have two rca jacks and when i change it from 6ch to regual dvd imput theres no sound what so ever, i hate this receiver, i might just buy a new one.