Panasonic DVD-S77 - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2005-12-31, 09:26 PM   #31
morkys

Hey Media Room...I am also in Ajax. Just sold my TX100 and picked up a new TX200. I hooked up an S77 to my TX100 via a DVI cable and an HDMI>DVI adapter. Worked fine.

What I meant to say is, the S77 ONLY outputs 720p on HDMI and DOES NOT output 720p on component. We found that out. Not a major problem. The person will be getting an HDMI to DVI cable. Myself on the other hand, I am using the DVI cable with the adapter to connect to my TX200.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-04, 11:05 PM   #32
Neilcamp

I just picked up an S-77 as an open box item at FS. They seem to be getting hard to come by. They're not on the FS or BB website any longer and there were only a couple of new in the box ones at FS tonight.

I hope to use it when I finally pull the trigger on a Panny plasma (50" but commercial or consumer...) but in the meantime does anyone know if it will work with my Toshiba 51H83. I know I will need an HDMI-DVI adapter but I'm worried about the "age difference" of the hardware.
Old 2006-01-05, 12:08 AM   #33
ten7ryder

I'm intrested in getting one of these players but have read a lot of users over at
AVS forum with macroblocking issues, lip synch issues. Anyone here experience any of these problems, and if you did, what and how did you get rid of or minimise the problems?

BTW, the S77 will be hooked up to my Sammy dlp HLR4264
Old 2006-01-05, 12:22 AM   #34
rkh

I got a S77s for Christmas hooked up to my 60" Sony SXRD.
I have had no negative issues what so ever with it. The picture is
rock solid.

If you configure the brightness to +8 and the contrast to -3 then
the DVD Player passes Better Than Black and Whiter Than White codes
to your TV. You then adjust your TV using DVE, Avia or THX optimizer
to then dial in the expanded video signal.
Old 2006-01-05, 04:53 PM   #35
MediaRoomManiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten7ryder
I'm intrested in getting one of these players but have read a lot of users over at
AVS forum with macroblocking issues, lip synch issues. Anyone here experience any of these problems, and if you did, what and how did you get rid of or minimise the problems?

BTW, the S77 will be hooked up to my Sammy dlp HLR4264
If you do not like Macroblocking and it annoys the hell out of you, don't buy this player. If you have lip sync issues, the player gives you the option of adding a video delay to sync with the audio. I have my delay set to 20ms, you will have to try it out to see what works best for you.

Other than that, the player displays impressive PQ, has great features, is very fast (load, play, ff, fr, etc..), and has tonnes of tweaking ability.

I would buy the player from a store like BB or FS, or a place where you can return it to and then give it a try.. if you don't like it, return it and go for a different player.

And that's correct morkys.. upconversion only occurs via HDMI and not any other output. Component will output 480p max.

Another great player to consider is the Oppo, it also uses the Faroudja chipset and output via DVI, does not include its own cable and does not support DVD-Audio (which I want). Other than that, it was rated as pretty much #1 in players under $300 for PQ over DVI, the component output from what I've read is horrible and not even worth considering.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions about this player.
Old 2006-01-05, 11:32 PM   #36
ten7ryder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaRoomManiac
If you do not like Macroblocking and it annoys the hell out of you, don't buy this player. If you have lip sync issues, the player gives you the option of adding a video delay to sync with the audio. I have my delay set to 20ms, you will have to try it out to see what works best for you.

Other than that, the player displays impressive PQ, has great features, is very fast (load, play, ff, fr, etc..), and has tonnes of tweaking ability.

I would buy the player from a store like BB or FS, or a place where you can return it to and then give it a try.. if you don't like it, return it and go for a different player.

And that's correct morkys.. upconversion only occurs via HDMI and not any other output. Component will output 480p max.

Another great player to consider is the Oppo, it also uses the Faroudja chipset and output via DVI, does not include its own cable and does not support DVD-Audio (which I want). Other than that, it was rated as pretty much #1 in players under $300 for PQ over DVI, the component output from what I've read is horrible and not even worth considering.

Please don't hesitate to ask me any questions about this player.
Thanks for the input guys. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and go buy
it and try it out. I've also considered getting the Oppo, but could not find any local retailers that carry it as I hate buying stuff online. If I remembered correctly, I thought the Oppo comes with both DVI and DVI to HDMI cables?
Old 2006-01-06, 11:53 PM   #37
morkys

As far as macroblocking goes, I think you need to play chapter 22 of a Bug's Life. I saw the S77 play on my TX100 and it looked good.
Old 2006-01-07, 06:03 PM   #38
f o r b i d d n

There are plenty of S77's available through London Drugs. Make sure it's an LD with an AVS dept. before heading down.