Cogeco Whole Home PVR - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2012-10-17, 09:41 PM   #76
delsolaaron
Rookie

@jamcam

Mine was fixed about 2 weeks ago now. I think they updated the firmware on all my boxes remotely. Either way it seems to be working. You posted that you were having the problem yesterday? That worries me. I hope it doesnt happen to me. I wonder if its some type of geographical issue of when they fix it or when it happens. Who knows.

Now that I've used the system for a couple weeks there is 2 things that sort of drive me nuts.

1. You can't see the guide or menu or DVR recording while watching a recording. It exits out of the recording you are watching. Super annoying when you are watching a recording and want to look at the guide.

2. I wish you could see the series recordings and future recordings for each box from one tv. This would be great too.

Overall the system is pretty good. I hope they improve on it soon and not wait 2 more years to release the next new feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-10-18, 11:01 AM   #77
jamcan

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii

Solved the issue on my own. No help from Cogeco. They wanted to send out a tech but the next available appt. for me (even though I had no TV service) was Oct. 23. I figured I had nothing to loose seeing as I had no service to begin with. I signed into my account on Cogeco.ca and re-activated all my receivers. Then I unplugged my NAS hard drive box to reboot that. A couple hours later everything was back running as normal. I wonder how much techs get paid, I think Cogeco should credit my account for doing their work for them. To me, this sounded like a simple fix from their end.

Last edited by 57; 2012-10-18 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Language.
Old 2012-10-21, 09:11 PM   #78
Keaters

So, I have been getting calls from Tech Supervisors over the past couple of days about the audio issue with the Whole Home DVR. As per my previous post, when my TV and cable are off, then the cable box turns itself on because there is a scheduled recording, then I turn my tv on during the recordings, I have no audio. Well, I have told them and the tech the problem is caused by the S/W version and guide. I used to work for Comcast and we launched the same system in Michigan. The only way we got rid of this problem was upgrading the guide to the A30 guide and S/W version 80.81. I said this to the Supervisor today and he said he will e-mail the engineers about this. I have also sent them the training material that I had when we launched the system in 2009 and he could not believe it was the exact same. Let's see in the next couple of months if the guide gets updated to resolve the problem.
Old 2012-10-25, 04:46 PM   #79
Onknight
Rookie

I am having the service added to my house on Monday

all day appointment 2 DVR and the Nas Hard disk

My only dispointment is Bell PVR can do 4 shows on 1 box
The cogeco boxes can only do 2
If want to record 4 shows I have do 2 on 1 box and 2 on the other

Example :

so I set TSN and ABC on 1 Box to record in the living room then I will have run into bedroom to Record HGTV and FOX on Unit 2

That is pain in the ass. they need to find a way to allow me record 4 shows at once on 1 box like bell dose

Only Reason I Switch from Bell was get the Detroit Locals I am Huge Detroit sports fan

anyways

I also wish I could add the cogeco Nas harddrive to my Home network
This way I watch the recording on my laptop or desktop computers from anywhere..
something both Disnetwork and Direct TV allow in the USA.
Old 2012-11-25, 08:55 PM   #80
Zekes

Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum has gotten this yet. Have they updated the firmware to the new guide?

How does this compare to a bell (9200 / 9242) type dual tuner setup? Anybody due the switch and if so what are the pros / cons?
Old 2013-01-04, 12:54 PM   #81
ava0775

We're considering this service, with three units.

Any more members signed on to this service? General complaints, tips or issues we should know about?
Old 2013-01-05, 12:10 PM   #82
Keaters

The issues I have been experiencing earlier have seemed to go away, but there was a software update that occurred. As for any other problems, there are no other real problems. I like the system more than than Bells System. Definitely a good choice!! Now with the remote recorder option, they are catching up to Bell in that matter too.
Old 2013-01-07, 09:42 PM   #83
dbeb

I am a Bell convert, having switched to the Cogeco Whole Home PVR (2 TVs) in late December for TV (already was a Cogeco phone/Internet customer). To say the least, I am disappointed and underwhelmed. The guide and software in general is so inferior to Bell. Some of the features I would expect to see in the year 2013 with a launch of a new service Bell has had for years with their PVR's. I had just had enough with Bell asking me to bend over every few months...lol. This past weekend, for no apparent reason, none of our recordings worked, and thus the wife is not amused. I am now thinking I have made a big mistake and perhaps should start looking at Shaw. I am sure we will get "used" to this rather antiquated system, with its archaic menus, nuances, and such, but so far, are quite disappointed.
Old 2013-01-08, 05:33 PM   #84
Slimer

I have had a 3 TV system since it was available. I too am pretty disappointed. When it works, it's OK. But it fails more than it works. Have to reboot the NAS box once a week or so. It just disconnects on it's own, where none of the TVs see it. Just gives a message "DVR unavailable....blah....blah....... Also, I start getting "Channel will be available shortly" on a bunch of channels, yet they never come in. I go to Cogeco site to re-activate the boxes. Eventually I get the channels back.

I would be shocked if someone said their Whole Home PVR system has been flawless. Knowing Cogeco, I just don't think it's going to get better. Hopefully I am not under contract......cause I need to start exploring other options. I get the chills saying I may have to go back to Bell......but at least their stuff worked.

Last edited by 57; 2013-01-08 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Language
Old 2013-01-08, 10:16 PM   #85
ava0775

Thanks for the recent updates. Something to think about for sure. BTW, we'd be leaving Shaw Direct. We're at the point where the few new channels and features they launch can only be viewed on the 600 series boxes. We're still on the older 500 series (or lower) boxes. Shaw has really fallen behind so we're not willing to invest in more of their equipment. We thought the Whole Home PVR was a nice option, along with their On Demand offerings.
Old 2013-01-11, 09:23 PM   #86
WarningU2
Rookie

Thanks for all the useful information here. I was wondering how this works. I think I'll wait a year or so for the kinks to get worked out.
Old 2013-01-14, 08:05 AM   #87
pierrehibou
Rookie

Default new to Cogeco, from Shaw Direct

Just switched from Shaw, two weeks ago. I got the Whole Home PVR (3 TVs). It works well. The picture is better, less compression, better dynamic, no pixelisation or macro dots. But ! i hate the remote, and the menu.
Old 2013-01-31, 08:31 PM   #88
sucosam
Rookie

I am in agreement with dbeb. I too already had Cogeco for Internet usage and for home phone. I switched from Bell to Cogeco for my TV service. I can appreciate that there is a learning curve for the new remote and new system. BUT…I really do not like the remote, the guide is terrible in that it is not very intuitive and the channels are poorly grouped. I dislike the title search because I have to navigate to and select each letter where with Bell I could press the corresponding number and it would put a letter in. I love the whole house DVR concept and it does work, but I hate the delay anytime I press record on live TV or if I hit rewind. It's soooo slow. And if I want to record the last 5 minutes of a show because I have to leave, if I hit record it will automatically record from 30 minutes earlier so when I go to watch my last five minutes, I have to fast forward to get to it. Unless they do some improvements I don't think the on demand and dvr features will be enough to keep me. I should note that I've only had this for about two weeks and I've almost had it. Not to mention that there is no HD channel for Sportsnet Ontario. Anyway, that's my rant. Sorry for any typos, using iPhone. Cheers folks.
Old 2013-02-05, 12:31 PM   #89
DeViLzzz
Rookie

I had a dream of one day being able to record all the games on the Sports Pack for Cogeco (NHL, NFL, etc) and I guess with this new service they are getting closer but just not good enough for me yet. Heck not being able to dump what we want off the PVR to pc is a real negative and I understand why we are not allowed to do that but then can we get a replay of the day's games in case we missed them the first time ? Yes I guess I can go and order that online service for the NHL where it lets you go back and watch 4 years of games and the current ones played this season but I don't want to be paying two times for NHL games.

By the way can a person watch blacked out games on replay on that NHL online game service ? NHL GameCast or whatever.

Oh and last but not least about the PVRs uh we need like 3 TB hard drives on them. Please upgrade the darn PVRs.
Old 2013-02-18, 06:13 PM   #90
jamcan

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamcan View Post
Solved the issue on my own. No help from Cogeco. They wanted to send out a tech but the next available appt. for me (even though I had no TV service) was Oct. 23. I figured I had nothing to loose seeing as I had no service to begin with. I signed into my account on Cogeco.ca and re-activated all my receivers. Then I unplugged my NAS hard drive box to reboot that. A couple hours later everything was back running as normal. I wonder how much techs get paid, I think Cogeco should credit my account for doing their work for them. To me, this sounded like a simple fix from their end.
Still having the same issues. Channels stating "this channel will be available shortly" and then never come in. Works on one TV but not on the other two and vice versa. Always getting a message (at least once a week) that "DVR service is currently not available". Always running down to the main hard drive to unplug and plug it back in. This is getting terrible. I have trouble shooted this once on my own and twice with Cogecrap tech's. I have a "TEAM" coming out on Friday to replace the whole system. I will keep everyone posted.