Killing off Gadgets and apps (Sidebar, Google Desktop, iGoogle, Google Reader) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2012-07-17, 08:11 PM   #16
Jake

I have merged the iGoogle posts into the existing one.

Good to know I am not alone. I would like to keep using a Google product if I could. If you come across a Chrome app that is similar let me know.
Advertisement

Old 2012-07-19, 07:20 PM   #17
TorontoColin

I stopped using it shortly after the Chrome web store launched, and its functionality was replaced by extensions. Calendar checker, Google Reader notifier, and Gmail notifier alert me to upcoming events, new RSS feeds, and new email, respectively. Silverbird gives me access to twitter, and Docs Viewer gives me quick access to my Google Docs.

There are countless weather forecast apps and extensions too, as well as a Google News reader extension (not to mention many other news services), and several Facebook extensions. I also really like the official MLB extension, which gives me quick access to MLB scores.

It's true that it's not a single page layout, but part of what I like about extensions is that they continue to provide me with that information well after I've moved on from my home page. I find that far more useful.

If that doesn't work for you, keep in mind that you have until November of 2013, which is still a long time away. By that time, something new may have emerged, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
Old 2012-07-19, 07:27 PM   #18
MarcP
Veteran

iGoogle is browser independent. You're suggesting switching to Chrome which is not possible for my work computers (controlled by domain policies).
Old 2013-03-14, 12:59 PM   #19
Jake

Ok, So now that Google Reader is being canned (July 2013). What are your plans? Annoys me as I was slowly switching some of my information from iGoogle to Google Reader.
Old 2013-03-14, 01:28 PM   #20
asif9t9
Veteran

Yeah what's up with Google Reader being canned? All I use it for is I subscribe to a few RSS feeds, and I can import those feeds automatically through my Google account to various RSS readers on my Android phone. It just seems like an odd thing for Google to kill off.
Old 2013-03-14, 02:38 PM   #21
TorontoColin

The death of Google Reader made me incredibly sad, as I use it every day. That said, I'm trying out Feedly, and it seems to offer similar functionality so far.
Old 2013-03-14, 02:54 PM   #22
XM4243

Also very disapponted. I use Google Reader many times a day on the desktop and have the Reeder app on my iPad. I tried Feedly this morning but I much prefer the simplicity of Google Reader.
Old 2013-03-14, 04:18 PM   #23
asif9t9
Veteran

Yeah Feedly was slow and cumbersome on my Android this morning. I just want a basic newsreader on my phone. Fancy stuff is nice, but only if it works superfast with no delay.
Old 2013-03-14, 04:35 PM   #24
TorontoColin

I also prefer the simplicity of Reader. I've heard Feedly is working on a Reader clone interface though. Apparently Digg is also working on an RSS reader client now.
Old 2013-03-14, 07:13 PM   #25
Ed7789

It just ticked me off. The only reason I've kept my Google account is because of Google Reader, but since it's closing, I'll delete my account as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2013-03-15, 01:35 PM   #26
brownstar
Veteran

Try this instead

Quote:
Welcome to The Old Reader, the ultimate social RSS reader. It's just like the old google reader, only better. We're in beta right now, but we're constantly working on improvements and new features

Last edited by Jake; 2013-03-16 at 08:44 AM. Reason: added info