New member need help!!! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Free to Air Satellite Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-04, 03:00 PM   #1
barbas
Rookie

Default New member need help!!!

Hi to all, I am a new member in this forum and I like to tahank any one for all the info in here, also I like to ask a few think if you have a time to answer, I own a viewsat ultra ( 2 of them) they stop to work when the satellite was move a year o so ago, My Question is: wath I need to make it work again? the dish is in position the box is there but not conected, i really like to make work again please let me know if i need to buy some thing else to star and how to connected to start see chanells again. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-07-04, 03:52 PM   #2
hugh
Member #1

What channels are you looking for?
Old 2012-07-04, 04:46 PM   #3
HDTV Junkee

My suggestion would be to first read every thread under this FTA forum, and if you still have some questions, then we are here to help.

Personally, I think this guy is just trying to have some fun and get everyone riled up.
Old 2012-07-05, 01:53 PM   #4
barbas
Rookie

Junkee, you are wrong, I do not know much about technology, and read every single post take me a lot of time, that why I think will be better to ask direct question and get some guidance of how to do it, hugh I'm interesting in any regular tv, the most channel the better, but only if you can help, I do not like to be point as any name , I try to wach free tv, the big company charge to much and a little channel list. Thanks again for your time.
Old 2012-07-06, 07:15 AM   #5
Davage

barbas - Which satellite is your dish pointed at? Maybe you just need to re-scan. Some channels have changed from MPEG2 to MPEG4 compression, such as the PBS channels on 125 West.

If you let us know which satellite your dish is pointed at, then we can try to offer some more suggestions of which frequencies to try scan to get your channels back.
Old 2012-07-06, 08:51 AM   #6
blueroomelectro

If you're interested in regular TV then perhaps an OTA setup might be worth looking into.
Old 2012-07-06, 06:51 PM   #7
barbas
Rookie

The satellite is point to bell for sure, and same american dishnet? some one instal it for me years ago, and stop working when the nagra3 comes in, can I activate the box in same way? thanks.
Old 2012-07-06, 08:28 PM   #8
dtvinvictoria

Quote:
The satellite is point to bell for sure, and same american dishnet? some one instal it for me years ago, and stop working when the nagra3 comes in, can I activate the box in same way? thanks.
You were using FTA hardware to illegally receive subscription programming, which is something not discussed on this forum. FTA is the legal reception of unencrypted TV channels and will not allow you to receive the same kind of programming that you would get from a subscription service like Bell or Dish Network. FTA is mainly limited to foreign broadcasters, religious networks, and PBS stations.

I agree with blueroomelectro that an Over-The-Air TV antenna might be the best way for you to receive legal free TV.
Old 2012-07-06, 08:30 PM   #9
DrSat
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbas View Post
The reason it stopped working is that you were stealing service from those satellite TV providers which have since then upgraded to a secure encryption system (i.e. Nagra 3) so you won't be able to do that anymore.

However, you may still use your Viewsat Ultra receivers to receive legitimate programming on FTA satellite simply by upgrading your dish to a 30 inch (75 cm) or larger dish to receive KU-band FTA channels and to a 6 ft. (180 cm) or larger dish to receive C-band FTA channels as well.

Regards,

Dr. Sat
Old 2012-07-06, 08:36 PM   #10
DrSat
Corporate Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvinvictoria View Post
You were using FTA hardware to illegally receive subscription programming, which is something not discussed on this forum. FTA is the legal reception of unencrypted TV channels and will not allow you to receive the same kind of programming that you would get from a subscription service like Bell or Dish Network. FTA is mainly limited to foreign broadcasters, religious networks, and PBS stations.

I agree with blueroomelectro that an Over-The-Air TV antenna might be the best way for you to receive legal free TV.
Don't forget NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, CW and several other good English channels as well which are listed on our channels database at http://channels.drsat.ca Although you are correct in stating that FTA is not a direct replacement to a subscription service, it acts as a very good supplement to OTA reception for people who don't wish to subscribe to a cable or satellite provider.

Regards,

Dr. Sat
Old 2012-07-06, 11:42 PM   #11

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

As stated previously, piracy discussions are not allowed on this forum. This thread is closed. If you wish to pursue proper FTA, please read the FTA stickies and post in the new member thread after reading it.