Canada Day Plans? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-06-15, 01:41 AM   #1
DJDiggler

Default Canada Day Plans?

Wondering if anyone has any plans for the upcomming long weekend and wanted to share a great deal I found...

We are going down to calgary to see the Calgary Zoo, Telus science center, and take in the fireworks and the many Canada day activities downtown. I found a sweet deal on a 850sq/ft 2 bedroom suite in downtown calgary for $164, INCLUDING 4 passes to the Zoo! The passes are worth $84 so this is a crazy deal for the room, (practically an apartment!). It's at the Regency Suites Calgary and there are still some available that weekend according to their site.

We are planing to make the hour or so drive to Drumheller to see the dinosaur museum on the way back home also. My sons head almost exploded when I showed him the 4x life size dinosaur you can climb in.
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-15, 09:17 PM   #2
Biggles

I'm going to celebrate!!
After working 12 hours shifts including nights and weekends for almost 10 years with my present company , 4 days on, 4 days off...next week I start working Mon-Fri days only ! No more nights or weekends ! No more 12 hour shifts!

I've worked shifts most of my life,and I'm tired of it.So is my wife.
I will be able to plan my life better,be able to take a few evening courses,and improve my running.

DJ , enjoy yourself !
Old 2012-06-17, 10:52 AM   #3
asd

DJDiggler,
You have made me just a touch homesick for Calgary. The Calgary Zoo is one of only 2 major ones in Canada -- the drive to Toronto might be a bit long -- and it is worth the drive. You can take the C-train and leave the car at the hotel. The multicultural events in central Calgary are also terrific. Tyrell Museum is well worth the detour and your family should enjoy the drive down into the badlands; one can almost envision a dinosaur around the next bend, as you descend into prehistoric topography.

I hope the weather cooperates for the Canada Day events outside, though. I do not miss Alberta "summers." Monsoon season is mostly confined to June in Calgary so you should just get thundershowers and cool/cold evening.

I will have a few Keith's Ales to keep cool, while my wife cruises the yard on her lawn tractor.
Old 2012-06-17, 02:59 PM   #4
Mexicanuck

If the current weather continues here on Vancouver Island, I may be cutting firewood to keep warm!

We have plenty of water due to the rain, so I will be half of the quintessential Canadian. A hewer of wood, but not a drawer of water.
Old 2012-06-20, 01:25 AM   #5
bgclarke
Veteran

My wife will probably have to work, so while she's at work, I'll be out geocaching, followed by a BBQ and some beverages in the back yard (this is all assuming it doesn't rain).
Old 2012-06-20, 09:18 AM   #6
jshel101
Veteran

We found an awesome deal in Kimberly BC for the long weekend. 3 nights at a condo for $199. So that is where we are going for Canada day.
Old 2012-06-28, 12:53 PM   #7
hamstercaster

Nothing planned here. Will have friends over for bbq and soaking in the pool. Not Canada Day theme or anything. Just relax and enjoy the company. In my teens, I worked at A&W restaurant of the Rideau Center Food Court here in Ottawa and let me tell ya, Canada Day was the busiest day of the year. We ran like headless chickens all day in the kitchen. We'd do 3 to 5 times the sales of a regular busy weekday. We'd then go walk around at the end of our shift and watch the fireworks all that while smelling like a dead A&W Mascot.
Old 2012-07-02, 09:15 AM   #8
classicsat
Veteran

It has passed, but in short notice, I was invited to a block party, with a band and all (I watch their practices, and jam after the primary band leaves).

The last practice I was invited to the party, so long as I showed up to the practice space. I did, and ended up being a roadie for the day, loading from the practice space to the van, and from that to the trailer they were using as a stage.
Old 2012-07-03, 04:19 AM   #9
DJDiggler

Well we definitly had an action packed couple of days! We ended up switching hotels to the delta bow valley... same package pretty much only better and with a perfect view:

23rd floor overlooking the center street bridge where they launched the fireworks! It worked perfectly as the kids were tired and it was nice not having to fight the crowds. Telus Spark center was great the first day, the Calgary Zoo awesome day 2, (but took WAY too long at 4+ hours). We hit Drumheller late and were worried we wouldn't get in to the tyrell but it was open till 9. Same with the big dino statue, open late so we were able to climb up it... pretty cool. To end it all we hit the Bleriot Ferry on the way home at 10:00pm... just made it.

The 3 hour drive home sucked thanks to my new GPS taking us on a scenic tour of every backwoods highway in southern Alberta, but it was a perfect Long Weekend!