Yamaha rx-a810 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner > A/V Receivers and Amplifiers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-06-23, 10:16 PM   #1
lastyear4gt

Default Yamaha rx-a810

When I constructed my rec room/HT, I consulted this site on a regular basis. The results were an amazing set up complete with an in-wall av rack and 7.2 setup run within the walls. Now the time has finally come to start lookin into equipping it.

I'm looking at receivers. I've read all the stickies and many other independant write-ups on what to look for in a reciever. I have found a reciever that has caught my eye. The Yamaha RX-A810. It seems to hit all the marks I was looking for as well as many mentioned in the countless articles I've read. And with the latest sale price of $699, it looks very good. Here's a link:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...ntage/rx-a810/

My question is, is there anything it lacks? Anyone running this reciever? Thoughts concerns? I'm fairly new to the HT game so a little guidance would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: sorry wrong section please move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-24, 10:31 AM   #2
Blackloz

I would recommend the A810 for sure. I use the A2000 and its a great unit. If you can get the A810 for around $699 I'd go for it.
Old 2012-06-24, 10:56 AM   #3
MrGrinch

I have the RXA1000 and really love it (it's very similar to this receiver). No major complaints but it did take awhile to get setup and sounding right. The YPAO was not calibrating the speakers how my ears wanted to hear them. Also the net radio and other network features on the receiver are not wifi so hope you ran cat6/5e/5 to the rack.

Other than that it's a really great receiver. We really use the network radio feature a lot, and more than we anticipated. My wife, from overseas, loves getting radio from the old country. And I enjoy the podcasts carried (eg - euro2012, the walking dead, etc).

Also if you are short on $$ start with a 5.1 setup and expand from there - that's what I did. The 7.1 decoder emulates 5.1 very well. I just increased my basement system from 5.1 to a 7.2 setup and next plan is to get the remotes speakers up and running next...
Old 2012-06-24, 02:32 PM   #4
lastyear4gt

Excellent, I think I'm gonna go for it.

Mr Grinch, I agree with your suggestion to start with a 5.1 system. Because my HT is also my rec room, it is an open concept, so the center surrounds are set to be in ceiling, easily added at a later date.

So here's my next question. I have the front and rear surrounds receptacles set in the wall because I didn't want to jeapordize floor space with large tower speakers. So with that in mind, the living space is about 550sqft. I sit 13' from the tv/font surrounds/center speakers. If I was to take a guess, the rear surrounds are in the ballpark of 18'-20' behind. I'm looking at 4 bookshelf speakers for surrounds and the sub can go either dead center front or off to a corner in the back. Any suggestions for speakers/subs?

I'm looking to stay as close as possible to $1500 for the setup, $2000 max
Old 2012-06-28, 09:29 PM   #5
DavidY

I have seen a local electronics store selling the RXA2000 for $7xx. So be on the lookout for one. I believe that the store is/was a part of the Audiotronics chain.

Dave
Old 2012-06-29, 06:33 AM   #6
lastyear4gt

Oh I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up!

On another note, I was out actually auditioning some equipment the other day. I went to 2001 audio video as i wanted to test out the psb 5 series speakers, and not one of them worked. The salesman was a real dolt too, he kept playing the tower speakers and telling me to "imagine that with 1 less woofer". At one point he even showed me their lower end satelite speaker set up an said "picture that 40% better". He proceeded to give me a "package price" of $100 less than retail, so I left.

I then went to futureshop. I tested out a set of energy cb-20's and klipsch RB-61's. I actually found the energy had better highs, but the klipsch had better bass. The kid that was helping me was very knowledgable. He was suggesting if I planned on keeping the reciever for a while it would be a good idea to get one that does 4k pass through and up scaling. He was showing me the Yamaha rxv 773 which is due to hit stores any day now.

In regards to a sub, he had a problem getting any to work, so I couldn't really hear any of them. I'm not sure it will help that much anyways as the sub response is only as good as the dynamics of the room. I just can't decided on the size or configuration of the sub. Any input?
Old 2012-06-29, 10:45 AM   #7
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastyear4gt View Post
Oh I'll keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up!
lol .. no doubt. This was a $ 1500 - $ 1600 AVR when it was released. Part of Yamaha's Adventage series.

I was keenly interested as well when first offered, but passed due to my belief it wouldn't be THAT much of an upgrade from HTR-1800, certainly from a sound quality POV anyway.

Alot of good reviews as I re-call. Nice AVR I bet. Who cares if its last years model. You have all the fundamentals covered anyway .. HD audio, good video processing, integration with network devices ..etc..etc...

Go for it.
Old 2012-06-30, 02:30 AM   #8
DavidY

A store in Caledon East may have a RXA2000 for $949...not sure if the price is current however. Get them to knock off $200 and it's a deal...heh, heh.

Dave
Old 2012-07-01, 09:14 AM   #9
lastyear4gt

By comparison on the Yamaha website, the rxa-2000 blows the receivers I've been looking at away. The only place it lacks is when it comes to 4k passthrough and upscaling. I'm not sure how important that is in the grand scheme of things though.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Here's an interesting read: http://hometheaterreview.com/yamaha-...und-statement/
Old 2012-07-01, 11:04 AM   #10
Blackloz

Thumbs up

I have the RX-A2000 and yes its awesome, an absolutely great bang for your buck at that price. I also just downloaded the yamaha app on my Iphone and it works great as well, so I think you will be more then pleased with this unit.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:57 PM   #11
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

The 2000 and 3000 RXA introduce additional Adventage design as well. They are similar in comparison than the RXA1000 which as I re-call didn't offer extended feature in relation to the 2000, 3000.
Old 2012-07-02, 12:33 AM   #12
lastyear4gt

You guys have given me much great advice and much to think about, but no one has addressed my concerns of the importance of 4k resolution compatibility?
Old 2012-07-02, 11:45 AM   #13
pharsyde
DHC Supporter

I'm guessing relative to 1080p. Meaning, in this case, the need for 4k media blu-ray and displays. If upscaling to 4k on 1080p display the device will want to revert to its native resolution. So, 4k needed along the pathway from media to source player, AVR to display. Good question for Yamaha support regarding the RXA2020, that being any AVR limitations from analogue sources to HDMI output.

Maybe another example of receiver manufacturer feature set that may not be relevant given current standards.

Is 4k really needed for typical household HT setup ?

FWIW
Old 2012-07-02, 04:55 PM   #14
lastyear4gt

From all that I've been reading, 4k res will require the media and displays, just as you've mentioned. Fact is, computers have been using this for a while and there are a couple (and only a couple) very expensive projectors that are 4k displays. There is however still no media yet but it's probably only a couple years before we see 4k blu-rays. I'm just trying to find a reciever that will grow with the times. The only reason I ask is I am planning on going with a projector which is where i imagine the 4k res really shines.