No More Timeshifting? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-07-02, 11:52 AM   #1
Classof83

Default No More Timeshifting?

Shaw Direct isn't offering US western nets right now... this is not good, especially since the NFL season is just around the corner and we get more regionalized games with both Detroit and Seattle. They said they removed the western nets to optimize the strongest signal available, which is the east. What kind of reason is that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-07-02, 01:10 PM   #2
Bayguy

classof83 what do you mean. Do you have SD and you lost some nets or are you thinking of getting SD and they said you could only get one set? It doesnt make sense anyway b'cuz it doesn't matter how many people watch a channel it still takes the same bandwidth so they can't say no more nets for new subs b'cuz people who already have SD are getting them anyway. And they have to have both sides of the US stations for people who live in different parts of Canada. People in Ontario dont want to watch shows at 11pm and people in BC probably don't want to watch them at 5.

If you lost nets call them back b'cuz were still getting ours fine.
Old 2012-07-02, 01:22 PM   #3
GaryE
Veteran

The SD website is confusing when it comes to the US time shifting channels. From what I gather just about all packages have US time shifting or can be added for $1.00 more. The only package not eligible for time shifting is Digital Lite.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:30 PM   #4
Classof83

I had them, then I switched down my package to save on some costs, but with that I had troubles opting out of simusbs, as whenever a simsub was about to occur, the US network would just go black, so I had to go back to my previous package to avoid simsubs properly (something about channel mapping not being done right with the lower-tier package).

Yesterday while watching golf, CBS Detroit was running a weather advisory, and so I wanted to switch to CBS Seattle to watch it without the advisory, but it stated I was not subscribed. So I asked Shaw Direct, and this is what one agent stated:

"Thank you for taking the time to write into Shaw Direct, we are more than happy to assist you. After looking into this for you the US feeds from the east are the only feeds that are able to receive HD signal at this time, for based on quality of signal we have opted to pull from where the stronger feed is this being in the east. At this time the west US network feed do not receive HD, however with our third satellite being launched this year this is definitely something the will request on your behalf if you would like."

That's when I was perplexed. But following up with another agent who apologized for the misinformation, I was able to add the US time-shifted nets for $1.00 / month. Originally they were free I believe. So I'm not sure why the first agent told me what she did, but things are OK now.
Old 2012-07-02, 02:56 PM   #5
Bayguy

I sure hope the 2nd agent straightned out the 1st one becuz the West Coast stations are definitely in HD!! Except theres no PBS I hope they add that sometime.
Old 2012-07-02, 03:14 PM   #6
cableredneck

We added the Western Nets in HD to DI lite for 1.00$/mo a few months ago. I have also noticed there is no PBS in HD from Seattle. I had to talk to a second agent before the channels were added, as the first agent wouldn't add them.
Old 2012-07-03, 01:28 PM   #7
adit

You also get them (HD west) with DI Lite if you have one of the movie package).