Google TV - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-06-26, 01:07 PM   #31
jschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veee View Post
How does the Sony Google unit integrate with your cable/satellite box? Does it control it in any way. For example, can you search Google TV for a program and select it to play through the cable box? Can you schedule recordings with it? The Sony website doesn't explain any of this.
Yes, Google TV on the Sony box does indeed control your cable/satellite set-top box so you theoretically only need one remote control for all of your TV viewing. This is from the Sony web site:

"Google TV™ built- in

Now the searching power of Google is built right into your TV. Craving some highlights from your team or movies starring your favorite actor? Just type it in and enjoy cross-search results from your cable provider, the internet, apps and even select Dish DVR1. It's all there, instantly. Best of all, Google TV uses your existing cable or satellite service so you do not have to switch inputs to use it."

The Vizio box is supposed to have the same functionality...

http://blog.vizio.com/post/259179110...-co-star-using
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-29, 11:39 AM   #32
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Interesting that the Vizio box is half the price. But will it be available in Canada.
Old 2012-12-26, 10:41 AM   #33
jschall

I'm waiting for the Hisense Pulse to be available in Canada. In this review video it looks quite responsive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YMbQFSS48q0
Old 2013-01-09, 11:36 AM   #34
JohnnyG
Veteran

I've had a Vizio Co-Star for a couple months now. Ordered it from Amazon using a MyUSA address. Cost about $150 all in. Love it, really. Only "gotcha" is that it doesn't recognize Canadian addresses and therefore Canadian TV providers. Not sure I would use it for TV programming anyway, but the interface for that does look pretty cool. I set it up with a Florida zip code (same Eastern time zone) and Comcast as the provider (same hardware as Rogers) so the remote controls the cable box no problem.
Old 2013-01-10, 11:22 PM   #35
Coop

Netgear NeoTV Prime was announced a few days ago and is available at newegg dot ca for $130. If it supports mkv playback I may grab one.
Old 2013-01-13, 12:54 PM   #36
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Seems interesting. Especially since it's cheaper than the Sony and includes a Slingplayer client. I wonder if this will soon show up at FS or London Drugs like the others? I'd rather buy from a brick and mortar and save the shipping.

It's just too bad that developers really aren't adopting the GoogleTV platform and hence the apps list is still pretty limited.