CBC, Bell Media quit joint Olympic bid - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On In Sports?

Old 2012-06-28, 05:10 PM   #1
NovaMan

Default CBC, Bell Media quit joint Olympic bid

http://www.thestar.com/sports/olympi...ympic-bid?bn=1

Here are a few interesting quotes from the article:

"Bell Media and the CBC have abandoned a joint effort to land media rights to the 2014 and 2016 Olympic Games, raising the possibility that Canada could be without a domestic broadcaster for one of the world’s most-watched sporting events."

"CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson said the public broadcaster is taking a step back for now, but may consider making a solo bid in the future."

"If the cash-strapped corporation chooses to do so, it could face little competition."

"A spokesman for Bell Media, which owns CTV and TSN, said the company will not pursue the Games further. Rogers Communications, which owns Sportsnet, has already passed."

"Though it may be a long shot, the CBC could seek a partnership with Shaw Communications, the Western Canadian cable provider, to make another run at a joint Olympics bid. It’s also possible a web-based company like Yahoo Inc. could step in and make a bid to broadcast the games to a Canadian audience online, analysts say."

“It’s not unrealistic at all,” said Powers, “that an online provider would pick this up and really do well with it.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-28, 06:51 PM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

It's a sad testament to the state of Canadian broadcasting that the Olympics may not be available on Canadian TV. That will likely have a negative impact on Canada's amateur athletes as well.
Old 2012-06-28, 07:51 PM   #3
LONSat

I think it speaks more to the IOC greed than the state of Canadian broadcasting. CTV lost money on Vancouver and probably will on London (England). I don't think any broadcaster wants to blow their brains out with a break the bank bid.
Old 2012-06-29, 03:13 PM   #4
buffalofan19

I'm guessing someone will figure out a way to get it done. Granted, we're talking probably a much higher dollar figure, but, here in the US, CBS had to partner with Turner Sports to get March Madness, and keep the likes of ESPN from winning the rights.
Old 2012-06-29, 06:06 PM   #5
ticky

The IOC will cave and take it at a lower bidding price. They would face a shit storm if Canadians couldn't see the 2014 Winter Olympics (less so the 2016 ones).
Old 2012-06-29, 06:29 PM   #6
hercules130

While it is (relatively) small in population, Canada is one prominent country in the world stage, not to mention the host of the last Winter Games and the defending champions of many events. I think it will worse for IOC than it is for the broadcasters should Canadians be banned from the 2014 Winter Games coverage. Everyone knows that the reason is simply because IOC is asking for more money.