Getting strange message & having to reboot my modem - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Old 2012-06-20, 11:30 PM   #1
Doppelganger399

Default Getting strange message & having to reboot my modem

2 short outages tonight got this message "DNS Look Up program failed try rebooting modem" after I reboot it starts working again does anyone know if thats an eastlink issue or something with my PC's?

I never know what these error messages mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-24, 06:45 PM   #2
reedjholmes
Rookie

I regularly get outages here in Bedford, NS. My wife and I work from home and rely on the Internet. The periodic outages prompted up to upgrade the Eastlink modem to the new Motorola SURFboard SBG6580. It made no improvement. In fact, it was worse initially. We tried using the built-in wifi on the SBG6580. Everyone in the house (me, wife, and three kids) constantly lost connection. Ended up shutting down the built in wifi and returned to my nine-year-old Linksys router.

Regardless, the temporary outages continue for us. The outages are a pain in the butt. If anyone has any tips on how to prevent these, I'm love to hear them as well.

I've considered moving to another provider (e.g. Aliant), but Eastlink has the best prices, particularly when bundling services (i.e. TV, phone).
Old 2012-06-25, 05:55 PM   #3
Doppelganger399

I get a 30 second outages once a twice a night for about a year some tell me its eastlink, my router or some program my pc's(3 of them) are running problem is I know very little about this stuff so it could be anything.

I get a DNS message or the lights on my modem go nuts people try to talk to me about it they might as well be talking Klingon, tech passed me by in the 80's.
Old 2012-06-26, 01:11 PM   #4
reedjholmes
Rookie

My experience if quite similar, and based on a fair amount of troubleshooting, I'm pretty certain it's Eastlink.

I'm wondering if perhaps they're limiting customers to too few IP addresses. In other words, you and your neighbour(s) may be trying to connect to Eastlink through the same node (i.e. IP address).

In the past, when most households had one or two computers, it might not have been a problem to have several customers connect through the same IP. But now, most households have multiple devices besides computers connecting to the Internet (e.g. smartphones, tablets, ipods, etc.).

I suspect this might be overloading Eastlink's Internet connections and causing modems to crap out and restart.

There is also the question of throttling, an illegal practice used by some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to intentionally slow down Internet service to heavy downloaders, which is basically everyone nowadays.

Some Internet Service Providers (ISPs) like Rogers have been caught throttling and have been forced to stop.

Eastlink says they don't throttle, but I always find it a bit strange that the outages in my house often seem to occur when there are more members of the household online and downloading data from the Internet.