6XX Software Update - 07.33 - June 2012 - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-06-21, 12:26 PM   #121
rpokane

Hey SD 630 Support, just wanted to say thanks for your help on here. +1 to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-21, 12:34 PM   #122
GaryE
Veteran

To SD 630 Support...

ScaryBob mentioned he had to switch out of the Ontario Value Pack in order to view VOD. Did he really have to do that? I'm an OVP and don't want to switch but would like to access VOD once I get the reciever hooked up to my router.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:35 PM   #123
rpokane

That comment surprised me. I'm on Atlantic VP and have no issues with that part of VOD.
Old 2012-06-21, 12:41 PM   #124
GaryE
Veteran

Okay, Thanks... sounds good then. Just waiting on a long network cable from Mono price to come any day now.
Old 2012-06-21, 02:52 PM   #125
ScaryBob
Veteran

I only know what I've been told by CSRs after calling. I may not have needed to change plans but that was what worked after several days of wasted calls and disconnects. (It sounded like a fault in the phone system, not a human hangup.) Some SD CSRs are not at all familiar with VOD or how it works. One had me remove the RG6s and "rub the little wires." Good luck with that fixing VOD over internet. She didn't even have me check the network or server status. Wasted call.

It sounds like Shaw has no debugging scripts for VOD and CSRs have received little or no training. In addition, the real techs are now shielded from the public so trying to get a knowledgeable response is futile. It may have been that changing packages had a side effect that enabled VOD. If so I would like to know since switching to Digital Indulgence just put my monthly rate up by $5+. I tried Lite but is lacks our favourite channel.

I hate Shaw.
Old 2012-06-21, 04:28 PM   #126
peano
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
"rub the little wires."
I like that. What about rubbing the big wires? Will that help?
Old 2012-06-21, 04:30 PM   #127
johnnucleo

This is off topic, but have to finally ask:
ScaryBob- You hate Shaw, I gather that, so why do you stay with them? Is there no other option where you live?
Old 2012-06-21, 05:18 PM   #128
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
To SD 630 Support...

ScaryBob mentioned he had to switch out of the Ontario Value Pack in order to view VOD. Did he really have to do that? I'm an OVP and don't want to switch but would like to access VOD once I get the reciever hooked up to my router.
I have OVP and VOD works for me, you should be fine too.
Old 2012-06-21, 05:19 PM   #129
SD 630 Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
To SD 630 Support...

Probably not, but I can't say for sure without seeing the account. As mentioned earlier, feel free to PM me your UA or account number and I can confirm everything is good (or fix it if it's not). The 5 or 6 people who have contacted me are now up and running, so I promise I can actually help!

To ScaryBob's points, we touched base with some of the Call Centre folks today and reiterated the package code details, what resources are currently available, and what we can provide to get everyone up to speed. It's a brand new product, so we apologize for the bumps experienced along the way.

To everyone else - thank you for the kind words!
Old 2012-06-22, 02:15 AM   #130
tripod

My receiver updated a couple of days ago. Here are my observations so far.

General Usage
I haven't noticed any weird issues with recordings or other functionality yet.

VOD
I tried the VOD tonight. My download speed (Shaw 50meg) came in at 41 high 7.296 low and 30 avg after several tests.

I forced a reboot somehow on my first attempt. PQ is watchable and really isn't bad considering its streaming, but could be better maybe some kind of low/med/high setting for PQ like netflix for those with lower/higher bandwidth caps. The HD PQ and SD PQ seemed about the same. I sub to Movie Central but its Greyed. The show navigation/searching is similar to regular operations for the receiver. The search could be better, that goes for both guide search and vod search.

Overall - I think that SD has a nice start on the VOD feature and hopefully it will continue to improve.

I'm glad to see the DSR-6x series getting some of the features that its capable of

Now that we have Ethernet enabled how about some additional Network features. Like DNLA media from other sources on the network (incl USB). Control record lists from our computers and smart phones

Next hopefully we get usb/esata storage enabled.
Old 2012-06-22, 12:43 PM   #131
Bayguy

Default Ongoing timers

Hi just to let everyone know the new timers are working great for us, we really like not having to set them by hand every two weeks to record the same time week after week. But we just noticed one thing yesterday that might scare people a bit but its okay.

We have a Thursday timer and last night it said the next time was "N/A". We thought it had stopped working and we'd have to do it ourselves again for next Thursday. But now today it says next Thursday's date at the right time. So maybe on the day it goes it clears the timer and then overnight the system looks for ongoing timers again and puts them back? So anyway if you see that it seems to have stopped working maybe check the next day before you panic.

BTW were still getting double channels on some stations like HBO on both 231 and 254 but now the timers only show one channel so thats less confusing than it was.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:00 PM   #132
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
You hate Shaw, I gather that, so why do you stay with them?
I hate Bell and Rogers even more. Shaw the cheapest of 3 evils. It's the same BS over and over. Programming quality keeps going down and prices keep going up. Shaw just managed to bump my prices up again with bad support and a claim that I needed to switch packages to get VOD. That's the second or third increase since I subscribed last year. That's for no increase in services apart from VOD, which is basically on my dime (for internet and equipment costs.) There there are the two 630's I purchased just over a year ago.

SD 630 Support, it's nice that you are doing so much behind the scenes but why didn't you offer a solution in a reply to the posts in this thread?

I still hate Shaw, but hate Bell and Roger more.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:53 PM   #133
ScaryBob
Veteran

I just spent another hour on the phone. The CSR repeated that VOD will not work with the Ontario Value Package. She also said that no price adjustments could be made. As a result, I suspended the account for 3 months. There are better options for VOD than Shaw's lame ass offering anyway. I can rent a lot of VOD programming for the $200+ that Shaw will not be getting this Summer.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:33 PM   #134
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
The CSR repeated that VOD will not work with the Ontario Value Package..
It is working fine for me on that package. I watched an episode if "The Firm" the other night that I missed because of NBC having golf on past 10pm EST Saturday night.

It makes no sense that a certain type of package would cause the VOD not to work.
Old 2012-06-22, 02:40 PM   #135
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
It is working fine for me on that package. I watched an episode if "The Firm" the other night that I missed because of NBC having golf on past 10pm EST Saturday night.

It makes no sense that a certain type of package would cause the VOD not to work.
It possible that they are told to push peoples out of these package. God only know I can't call Bell for any reason without being offered all sort of "upgrade". SD is not that much better.