Motorola DCX3400 owners' thread - Page 70 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion

Old 2012-06-16, 01:28 AM   #1036
bubba

Ok, but I too had not had this for several months but all of a sudden, I have had it. Interestingly, in both cases the image freezes and then when do a list, it shows 52% where it would usually show no more than 1%. Understandable given that it no longer recognizes the drive but the question is what is the cause. Was the freezing the cause or the consequence?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-16, 05:55 AM   #1037
andyk

I've had the 2 problems for months. Lately no freezes but still dropping the external drives on 2 3400s every few days. The freezes stopped when I boosted the signal to the 3400s by removing an upstairs splitter and giving each a separate cable from Shaw's input to the house.

I still have to pull the power plug to get the external drive back and worse, have to wait hours to get the full program guide back. Wish they would change that.
Old 2012-06-16, 02:44 PM   #1038
spitoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
But my question is whether anyone else has been happening now.
If you go back a couple pages you will see my recent reports of this problem. I have no idea if it has been better or worse lately as I haven't had mine plugged in for a long time. A couple weeks ago when I did plug it back in, I had nothing but problems again. Never longer than a day or two without having a freeze up or disconnection.

I did correspond with Shaw via e-mail and they did acknowledge the problem and claimed that they were working on it...it's been a problem for about a year now, so I don't really expect any progress. Too bad since they still advertise the ability to add expanders to these boxes.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:24 PM   #1039
bubba

And it is interesting in this regard that I have never had the problem with my 6416 which has the extra drive, just the 3400.
Old 2012-06-17, 01:43 AM   #1040
spitoon

Yes, I had no problem with my 6412 and the same expander. I was upgraded to a 3400 in July or August of last year. It was fine for about a month until the last firmware upgrade (sometime in late August or early September 2011)...then nothing but problems.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:45 AM   #1041
Sith

Location: Surrey, Shaw DCX 3400, Samsung UN46D6000, Denon Avr-1905, Paradigm CC-170, Titans, Atoms, PDR 10 v3

Hi there, I'm having the strangest problem. Don't have time to call in yet but the box, does not respond to the remote power on or the panel itself.

It resets with a power cycle..comes back with a clock..but you can't turn it on at all.

I have never seen this.

I will have to call them after work.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:05 PM   #1042
GWNorth

When you do the power cycle to reset the box, watch the front display while it powers up. It may show an error code on the display if there is something wrong that may help diagnose the problem. Mine had some erratic behaviour that would appear to power but would lock up shortly after. Sometimes it showed an error code on power up and sometimes it would not. That box had to be replaced. Hopefully you have better luck.
Old 2012-06-19, 12:06 PM   #1043
bubba

I have had that problem and which is solved only by pulling the plug.

And for the record, the 3400 froze again but this time during watching a recording. The previous times, we were just watching something live.
Old 2012-06-19, 02:39 PM   #1044
Sith

Location: Surrey, Shaw DCX 3400, Samsung UN46D6000, Denon Avr-1905, Paradigm CC-170, Titans, Atoms, PDR 10 v3

Hi there, thanks. I did check for error messages but there were none..it did the left to right dance of the light and either before that or after that the usual du1? and then it would go to the clock.

From there you could do nothing. No power.

I did one last attempt before leaving this morning and when I got back....there was no clock but when I hit power it responded. So it seems fine now. Maybe sitting untouched for a few hours helped it get back to normal.

Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 2012-06-22, 01:17 AM   #1045
tttinbc
Rookie

Default Shaw Expander Not Recognized

Response to bubba...

Hello, As of the last week I have been having the same issue with my Moto 3400 not recognizing the shaw expander. It happens when I'm watching a recording and then I get the error message and it disconnects. I have had the box for almost 2 years and this is the first time I have encountered this problem so I'm assuming it's tied to a recent update. Happens a few times a day and I must unplug the unit and plug it back in before the hard drive will be recognized. I am running the Moto parallel with the Gateway for the past several months and I rely on the Moto while they get all the bugs worked out of the Gateway. Very frustrating and will be calling Shaw support tomorrow.

Cheers

T3
Old 2012-06-22, 03:47 PM   #1046
royd785

Did Shaw send any updates today. Came home today and clock showed 9:18 instead of 12:18. Live in Port Coquitlam, BC.
Old 2012-06-22, 03:49 PM   #1047
DSgamby
Veteran

They updated the VOD software today.
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=153997
Old 2012-06-22, 04:18 PM   #1048
GregoriusM

Exclamation Buy 3400 or wait?

I may not be in the right thread, but I'm buying a 55" Panasonic plasma today at the end of a Father's Day Sale, and was wondering if I should throw the 3400 into the deal, at a reduced price of course, or is there something around the corner I don't know about and should wait for?

I don't need the ARRIS. One person here in the apt. - me.

I have a 3080 which does me fine for SD, but would love an HD Recorder now that I'm moving up to a big HD flat panel.

I'm heading out in an hour to purchase the TV, so any comments before them would be greatly welcomed.

I'd have asked this sooner but I was only aware of the sale yesterday and had to come home and do my homework on the TV.

Thanks! (Sorry if this is in the wrong thread!)

Greg
Old 2012-06-22, 04:27 PM   #1049
GregoriusM

Or maybe the ARRIS Gateway IS the way to go, even for a one person setup? Maybe I should wait and get the Gateway, although it will probably cost me twice as much. 3400 or Gateway? I haven't been following the threads enough to make this quick a decision.

Save $100 bucks including the $3400 into my TV deal, or just use my 3080 for now until I decide whether to go with the 3400 or the Gateway, and lose the $100 savings??? HELP!
Old 2012-06-22, 08:10 PM   #1050
gzink

Get the 3400 and enjoy.