Home System Setup - Need help! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-06-20, 01:18 AM   #1
empathy
Rookie

Default Home System Setup - Need help!

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'll give it a shot anyhow.

Currently I'm trying to set up my living room and deck. This setup will include:

2 speakers mounted on the ceiling in the living room.
2 speakers mounted externally on my deck
a tv in my livingroom
a boxee box ( http://www.boxee.tv/buy ) connected to my tv in the living room.
a sonos sound system ( http://www.sonos.com/ ).
A router for my internet
A tablet to operate the sonos.

What my intention is, is to connect the 2 interior ceiling speakers to my tv, and for use for my sonos system.
This way when I use my boxee box to watch a show/movie/etc, I will be able to hear what's playing through both the speakers on the tv, and the speakers mounted in the ceiling.

The interior speakers will be used for everything with the tv (boxee box, xbox, etc), as well as being connected to my sonos system.

The sonos system allows you to play music in different rooms throughout the house.

This will be used in the living room when the tv is not in use, to play music.
The tablet will control the interface of the sonos.

The speakers on the deck will only need to be able to tune in to the sonos, as there's no need to listen to the tv if you're out on the deck. These speakers are strictly for music capabilities with the sonos.

(Sorry if this is convoluted, it's not an easy setup to explain)

So my end goal will be for someone to be able to listen to music on the deck whilst someone else is in the living room watching tv (using the speakers mounted in the ceiling)

I would occasionally use my tv as a computer monitor via hdmi as well, so if this could somehow be factored in so that I could use the interior speakers for this purpose as well, that would be great.

Anyone have any suggestions on where to start with this?

The amp of sonos only has room to connect 2 speakers to it. But I could combine the speakers on the deck into one, and i could combine the interior in to one, but I'm not sure how to incorporate the boxee box.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
empathy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-20, 10:18 AM   #2
empathy
Rookie

to be clear - I'm not sure how to wire this in.
empathy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-21, 05:48 PM   #3
audacity
Veteran

empathy,

I'd recommend that you draw out this system and figure out how many "zones" you want. That would tell me how many Sonos CONNECT:AMP or CONNECT devices you need.

What you've described sounds to me like two zones (one on the deck, one in the living room). In each case you want to wire the speakers and terminate the wires at a wall place in a convenient place that is close to a power outlet. Of course I'm talking about a inside wall. Then you will have a ideal places for a CONNECT:AMP, and it sounds like you need two of them.

A couple ideas/suggestions:

1. I recommend in-wall speakers over in-ceiling speakers. They tend to sound better (in my experience).

2. Try plugging the line-out RCA plugs from your Boxee Box into the CONNECT:AMP line-in on the back, then you can configure the CONNECT:AMP so that when it detects input from the Boxee Box, it will automatically switch to that input and you can use the same set of speakers for your TV and for listening to audio content via Sonos. I do this and it works well.
audacity is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-24, 01:44 PM   #4
Zrock

Would it not be better easier to buy a good amp with multiple zone control? They are easy to set up and then someone can be watching tv and still have music playing outside. The system from sonos i really don't see a benefit unless im looking at the wrong unit
Zrock is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-24, 02:41 PM   #5
tandem

It does sound like this may be a two-zone system only, in which case many AV receivers offer two zone (different or same sources for each zone as desired) capability for free.

A Sonos or Logitech Squeezebox device might be worthwhile as an addition if you either a) have a large collection of digital tracks on a computer somewhere in the home or b) listen to a lot of internet provided music content. I use a Squeezebox for this, as one of my audio sources, not as an audio distribution mechanism, because principally I only need two zones provided for. My in-home office is not one of those zones but I'm perfectly content to stream audio through my computer. A "zone" for free as it were.

My Squeezebox is connected directly to the AV receiver, as are my BluRay player, TV (with an Audio Return Channel), and occasionally a game box and/or computer. The AV receiver will auto select any HDMI connected device as it powers up. Devices connected via other means can be selected via the front panel or remote. All in all it works well.

Another vote for in-wall rather than in-ceiling speakers. Or small bookshelf standalone units if wall mounted are not practical for your home. In addition you might want to consider running a centre channel speaker for your TV. Depending on your setup you might have issues hearing the primary content (esp. voice) with a stereo only system although audio configuration could mitigate that problem.
tandem is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.