EastLink 2012 New Channels discussion - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-14, 08:29 AM   #241
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

Thank you for posting that, denben73, and somehow, I missed that from the CRTC. Some of the dates have already passed, but the actual hearing date, scheduled for June 29th, may finally set out terms, and hopefully, Eastlink will actually sign with Bell. That date is just over two weeks away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-14, 12:12 PM   #242
denben73

Location: Eastlink - Timmins, ON; Maestro DVR w/ 4 terminals, Xbox360, Wii, SiriusXM, iPad2 & Galaxy S4

David, you're welcome.

You know it's been 2 months since the last group of HDs were added, well for NS customers anyways. For us, the last one was 4 months ago (I had to really go far back into this thread) it was 631 Peachtree. It's even further back than I thought it was.

The last thing I heard for us was that the missing HD was scheduled to be added in June. No year was given.

I asked about TWN in HD again, they said they'd check and get back, I asked a day later if there was any news...got ignored. I guess that means NO!

I do like EastLink, but they love keeping every customer in the dark about EVERYTHING. Like they couldn't even say "More HD coming this month!" or anything like that.
Old 2012-06-15, 08:37 PM   #243
denben73

Location: Eastlink - Timmins, ON; Maestro DVR w/ 4 terminals, Xbox360, Wii, SiriusXM, iPad2 & Galaxy S4

Yesterday's newsletter mentioned the missing HD channels are now available in Ontario. There is nothing showing up here. Any get them yet?

Quote:
We love HD as much as you do. And that's why our goal is to launch every HD channel available to give you the best possible TV experience!

After some technical upgrades, we have now added new HD channels, including Food Network HD, Peachtree HD, APTN HD, MuchMusic HD, W Movies HD, Teletoon HD, ABC Spark HD, BBC World News HD, Canal D HD, RDI HD and VRAK TV HD!

For a full list of available channels in your area, please check your local channel guide.
We already had Peachtree, Food Network, APTN, MuchMusic and W Movies...missing Teletoon and the ones after it.
Old 2012-06-18, 05:56 PM   #244
denben73

Turns out it was an error...

Who knows when we will get those channels. It will be announced 2 days after we've been watching them.
Old 2012-06-18, 06:13 PM   #245
Doppelganger399

This fight with Bell is this about adding new channels or could we get up & find tsn & discovery channel missing?
Old 2012-06-18, 07:09 PM   #246
David1953

My understanding, doppelganger399, is that the dispute mainly applies to new HD channels from Bell, such as Space HD and Discovery HD. However, I am sure that there are implications for existing ones as well, and if the agreement isn't signed, there could be channel losses in the future.
Old 2012-06-19, 07:27 AM   #247
thenewdc
Veteran

It could be they are waiting for contracts to expire and get renewed before we see these HD channels from Bell. Rogers is in the same boat with the same HD channels from Bell.
Old 2012-06-19, 07:37 AM   #248
David1953

My understanding, thenewdc, is that some contracts have already expired, and that Eastlink (and other CIDG members) are carrying some of the Bell channels "out of contract" until new terms are agreed upon. I understand this from reading some of the disputes put before the CRTC back in March, when the first set of hearings were held.

One of the items of contention put forward to the CRTC was high interest charges and penalties, up to 20% of the net value of the contract, which were being demanded by Bell, for any out of contract channels being carried by the CIDG.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:54 AM   #249
denben73

Seeing the fight in the US regarding AMC and Dish Network, it makes one realize that it is the provider who gets all the crap thrown at them in these disputes.

IMO, it's a 50-50 split between the channel and the provider. Like for us, we are all at EastLink to get these HD channels, but how many are letting Bell know they aren't happy either?

I've also sent messages to The Weather Network about getting their HD channel on EastLink too.
Old 2012-06-19, 01:15 PM   #250
Liv1984

I have written the weather network as well but have never heard anything back, I contacted bell media and the same response. I hope that this is resolved soon. I know they are adding eastlink channel hd in July on 610 so maybe they will add more then. I don't watch the food network or BNN. I basically watch Bell Media channels which well is in SD most of them anyways. So I hope that they will add space, bravo, and discovery along with the weather network.
Old 2012-06-20, 09:27 PM   #251
Winters1

As of mention of losing channel like TS or Discovery channel. Discovery channel can not be removed as it is a Canadian English language Category A meaning it is mandatory to provide this channel. As for TS it a Category C so that is not mandatory to provide!!!!

No worry Eastlink will give us some new stuff soon.

Timmins should be by 2014....
Old 2012-06-21, 07:23 AM   #252
David1953

Leafs Tv, formerly on channel 729, is now gone from the guide in Halifax. Actually, I was surprised to see that channel at all on the East coast, since I thought it was only licensed to be carried in Ontario. I think Eastlink was allowed to carry it during he AHL playoffs.

I am still surprised that Eastlink has not picked up National Geographic Wild, which is a Shaw owned channel. As far as I can recall, Eastlink has never had too many issues with Shaw, and has been pretty good about carrying their channels. Hence, Eastlink's failure to pick this one is a puzzle.

As for Bell owned channels, we can only wait and see what happens during those June 29th hearings, but I am not holding my hopes too high.

I am still unhappy about Eastlink's failure to pick up the Weather Network in HD. I would even be content with the " National version", if the issue is indeed due to the problems inserting local forecasts.

In other stuff, I only wish that Eastlink would offer Superchannel movies in HD on their on demand service.
Old 2012-06-21, 08:10 AM   #253
thenewdc
Veteran

Funny, Rogers picked up Nat Geo Wild within a few weeks of its launch, but still wont carry ABC Spark, and with Eastlink, it's the other way around
Old 2012-06-23, 05:34 PM   #254
BKman74

Default Cartoon Network

According to an ad on Cartoon Network alongside Cogeco and Telus, Cartoon Network will launch on launch date.
Old 2012-06-24, 12:25 AM   #255
denben73

You mean launch on EastLink along with Cogeco and Telus? We won't know for sure until that day of course.
Closed Thread