Halifax outages? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > EastLink

Old 2012-06-10, 04:51 PM   #1
Tom_Joad

Default Halifax outages?

For the last 3 days we have been experiencing outages of internet, phone, and cable in the Rockingham/Prince's Lodge area of Halifax. On Friday it was approx 30 mins, Saturday for over 2 hours, and today it was off when we got home and was down for at least an hour before service was restored.

Support just gives the standard "we are aware of an outage, techs are working on it, etc" without specifying what the issue is.

When their service goes out, it completely wipes out phone service, which would be tragic if someone had an emergency and no access to a cell phone or lived close to neighbors.

Anyone else in Halifax experiencing random outages of complete service? Anyone have the scoop on what is going on? Three outages in three days is getting unacceptable, especially when it involves losing all phone access.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-06-18, 12:20 PM   #2
reedjholmes
Rookie

I live in Bedford and I'm an Eastlink high-speed customer. Both my wife and I work from home and rely on the Internet. We too have periodic outages. Drives us crazy.

Occasionally, our modem will suddenly reset, and the whole house will be without Internet. Or, one of my kids will come home and start watching a video on a computer or phone, and the connection seizes up. Sometimes I wonder if Eastlink is throttling connections.

Recently, I got one of their new Motorola modems. It was supposed to speed things up, but it has been pretty crappy. I actually had to turn the wireless feature off because it simply didn't work properly. Went back to the Linksys modem I've had for about eight years.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:21 PM   #3
smallmj

The new motorola modems that Eastlink uses seem to be much less reliable than the old sb5100's. I've seen several people that have had weird issues with them.

The strangest problem was that you can only port forward to one IP address behind the firewall. You can set a whole bunch of port forwards up, but only the last IP address will work.

Mark
Old 2012-06-18, 05:54 PM   #4
denben73

Location: Eastlink - Timmins, ON; Maestro DVR w/ 4 terminals, Xbox360, Wii, SiriusXM, iPad2 & Galaxy S4

Are we talking about the wifi modems, the SBG6580?

If so, I've had mine for 10 months now and it has been absolutely rock solid! I'm totally happy with it. With any other wifi router, I would have to power cycle it every 2 weeks to let anything wireless connect to it.
Old 2012-06-24, 06:53 PM   #5
reedjholmes
Rookie

You're lucky denben73. I have the same SBG6580 modem, and it has been unimpressive. When we had the wifi activated, everyone in the house (me, my wife and three kids) would constantly lose their connection.

It performs better with the wifi deactivated, however, it still reboots suddenly, usually at the worst times such as when my wife is about to teach English to one of her students in Japan via Skype.

Granted, this may be more of a issue with Eastlink than the modem. I sometimes wonder whether Eastlink is throttling its customers. They claim they don't, but it often seems that when we go to use more bandwidth, the modem mysteriously reboots.

Any thoughts on why this might happen, and how to prevent it, would be greatly appreciated.