Questions about PPV credits (new customers) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-05-09, 12:46 PM   #1
Bayguy

Default Questions about PPV credits (new customers)

Hi we just got Shaw Direct and we're supposed to get $50 in PPV credits but our first bill doesnt show them and the info on Shaw's website is very confusing. It says:

"The $50 PPV credit excludes applicable taxes and will appear on the new or current customer's account in the form of a credit, applied upon activation. Maximum one (1) $50 Pay Per View credit per customer will be applied to the customer's account within a 180-day period. The Pay Per View (PPV) credits will appear on the customer's account as eight (8) PPV movie credits (to a maximum of $6.99 each). PPV credit is only redeemable for regular PPV movies, excluding events and adult movies, has no cash value and does not include ordering fees. Any unused PPV credits expire 90 days after date of activation."

Maybe theyll show up next month but then we only have two more months to use them. Do we have to sit around and not use them this month or can we order some PPV movies and then the credits will pay for them later?

If anyone here is a new SD customer who got the PPV credits and you've done this please let us know how, thanks!
Bayguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-09, 12:48 PM   #2
DSgamby
Veteran

If it is like Shaw Cable. You have to order the PPV first. Then they will credit you with the price.
DSgamby is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-09, 05:55 PM   #3
starchoice
Veteran

You will never physically see the credits. The charge appears if you buy one and the credit is automatically posted a day or two later.
starchoice is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-10, 01:20 PM   #4
johnnucleo

I had the 8 PPV credits as well as a new customer, and just as an fyi - I ordered HD movies and I was able to get all 8 for free ($6.99 each) As someone else already mentioned the credit shows up on your bill as you order the movies. So it says $50 max, but 7x8 = $56, but again for me there were no issues. I know that at first I wasn't sure if HD movies would be ok, since it states "regular" movies, but I guess that just means "non-adult".

If you order with your remote there are no fees either, but you have to call first to set up the ability to order via remote control.
johnnucleo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-10, 03:25 PM   #5
Installer

there is a $1.00 charge for calling in to order your free ppv movies. the only way to avoid it is to have a receiver with a phone line.
Old 2012-05-10, 09:55 PM   #6
Bayguy

Hey thanks everyone we wont worry about not seeing the credits on our bill then. We'll try one and keep an eye on our acct online for a few days to make sure it got credited okay before we do another one.
Old 2012-05-11, 12:10 PM   #7
ScaryBob
Veteran

A call to SD is required to activate PPV ordering on the receiver. A phone line connection is also required. Credits should appear with the movie charge on the bill. If they don't, call to get the credit. Credits not used are lost after 90 days.
Old 2012-05-11, 12:48 PM   #8
Bayguy

Yes we know you can order from the rcvr but we cant do that so will just use the phone system and not talk to anyone.
Old 2012-06-10, 06:35 PM   #9
tripod

When I signed up for service acouple of years ago, I had 4 receivers. All of them had the PPV Credit. So I ended up with $200 in PPV credits. When talking with the CSR they noted that we probably wouldn't watch that many before they expired so he them broke down into 3 credits Oct-Dec ($100), Jan-Mar($50), Apr-June($50).

Also make sure to have your receiver enabled for direct ordering. Alot better then getting hit with a service fee for ordering over the phone. A web ordering feature would be nice, but last time I looked they hadn't added it yet
tripod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-10, 07:07 PM   #10
Bayguy

hi tripod if you're talking to me as I said we can't order over the rcvr b'cuz we cant connect a phone. It is strange that these days they don't let you order online like BEV does.

Maybe well write to them and ask about getting more time to use the PPV. Three months sounds like a lot but when their are only two PPV channels there aren't a lot of movies to choose from. But they only gave you three months for $50 so probably they won't give us more time...
Old 2012-06-11, 02:39 PM   #11
Ralph2

My beef with the PPV credits is that there seems no way (that I have found) to see how many (much?) you have left. You need to take it on faith alone when ordering a PPV that in fact you have "credit".. and be prepared to pay the fee if you guessed wrong.
Ralph2 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-11, 06:10 PM   #12
TheHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph2 View Post
My beef with the PPV credits is that there seems no way (that I have found) to see how many (much?) you have left. You need to take it on faith alone when ordering a PPV that in fact you have "credit".. and be prepared to pay the fee if you guessed wrong.
You can call a CSR and ask how many credits you have left. Occasionally you'll get a CSR who doesn't know how to check for it, but more times than not they know and they're correct. I've had PPV credits many times over the years and this has worked for me. Just make sure you confirm which film was credited last, so that you're basing the number of credits left on current information.
TheHans is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-06-13, 02:37 AM   #13
tripod

Bayguy - Not necessarily direct to you but anyone that may find it helpful.
If you have a Home phone you could run a long phone cable to the receiver temporarily when you order. If you don't have a home ph, then don't worry about it since it would probably cost more then the ordering fee for a workaround. As a side note I ran a phone line to my TV outlet just so I could order my free ppv from the receiver (although I have never ordered any that I had to pay for). Another bonus is the Caller ID on the TV.
tripod is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-07-24, 09:03 PM   #14
wandrr
Rookie

@tripod - you might want to look at the location that Bayguy shows. I suspect he can certainly physically connect a phone, but he definitely does not want to.
wandrr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-07-25, 02:38 AM   #15
Bayguy

Yes wandrr you are exactly right!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.