Getting nasty throttling, seems to be coming from the router - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2012-05-22, 03:25 PM   #16
ScaryBob
Veteran

Quote:
Rerouting a new ethernet cable is near-impossible.
It might be worth just trying a different cable just by routing it through the rooms. Cheap cable testers are available but usually need access to both ends. Some PC BIOS's (and maybe routers) have built in ethernet cable testers. If defective, the existing cable may just need a new connector. If it's damaged in an inaccessible area, there is little choice but to replace it. You may be able to tape a new cable to the existing one and pull the new cable in while pulling the old one out.
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-22, 03:35 PM   #17
prizm
Rookie

Now it seems all the devices on the network are slowing. The other ethernet devices are slowing down, not as badly, and WiFi devices are clocking at 5 to 10 Mb/s.
prizm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-22, 03:41 PM   #18
file

If you unplug the device that was originally exhibiting problems and let the Actiontec sit for a bit, what happens?
file is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-22, 03:44 PM   #19
prizm
Rookie

I just unplugged my computer, the problematic device. All but one device are on WiFi right now.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:45 PM   #20
file

WiFi is never a good test. It can be incredibly erratic.
file is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-22, 03:51 PM   #21
prizm
Rookie

The only ethernet devices on my network are my computer with the seemingly bad cable which is on WiFi right now, a slow old PC that usually hits 30/30, an Xbox 360, and the standard Netgear switch for TVs.
Old 2012-05-22, 05:12 PM   #22
prizm
Rookie

Nope, still slow. The ethernet is slow, WiFi is still, just not as screwed.
Old 2012-05-22, 06:37 PM   #23
ScaryBob
Veteran

What happens if you unplug the slow PC cable at the router, besides the PC having no access?
Old 2012-05-22, 06:45 PM   #24
FuzzFace

is it not possible to tape a new cable to one end and pull it through? than terminate using keystone jacks?
FuzzFace is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-22, 08:23 PM   #25
prizm
Rookie

I can't route a new cable through the basement, it's taped and a tight fit through the hole. The ceiling would be too ugly of a job and all my remaining ethernet cables are short.

Last edited by prizm; 2012-05-22 at 09:16 PM. Reason: SPECIFICS
Old 2012-05-24, 06:56 AM   #26
prizm
Rookie

Screwing with the router; rebooted, plugged in ethernet to my computer, Speedtest to Atlanta (where my server is) shows 31 down and stalled upload. Rebooted. WiFi is slower than normal 30/30 but upload works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.