Yamaha HTR 7063 sounds Flat at times - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-05-22, 07:32 PM   #1
magician73
Rookie

Default Yamaha HTR 7063 sounds Flat at times

when watching movies the sound occasionally goes quite flat and i can't figure out why.
It will be fine for a while then suddenly the quality drops and goes flat for a few seconds up to few minutes, then it will come back to normal levels on its own.
I am using hdmi cable from a rogers hd box, I tried changing to digital optical out for the audio from the box with toslink , but the same thing is happening, so its not the cables, or the cable connections. I've triple checked all connections.
It could be the rogers box, or maybe the receiver/settings. Which settings might cause this?

I am running a complete 7.1 setup with Klipsch centre and fronts, mirage satelites for side and rear surround. 14 guage wire to all speakers.

I also have a sony ps3 which i watch blurays and have found the same issue with the sound, the sony ps3 is also hooked up with hdmi. since the issue comes from 2 different sources with seperate hdmi cables, it makes me think the problem lies with the receiver and or settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-22, 07:45 PM   #2
eljay
DHC Supporter

First guess: The sub is in "auto" power mode and the "flatness" is due to the sub cycling off and back on again as it loses and regains signal.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:47 PM   #3
magician73
Rookie

No, the sub is staying on, the flatness is coming from the center channel and is mainly noticed during dialog
Old 2012-05-22, 07:49 PM   #4
eljay
DHC Supporter

If you notice an occurrence of "flatness" and you replay the scene, is the "flatness" still there? IOW, have you ruled out the source material?
Old 2012-05-22, 07:54 PM   #5
magician73
Rookie

i have not ruled out source material, mostly the source is the hd cable box, but since i also get the problem watching blurays, it lead me to think it had something to do with the receiver settings. I will try a bluray again and when replay a scene to see if its the source material.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:59 PM   #6
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician73
... since i also get the problem watching blurays, it lead me to think it had something to do with the receiver settings.
I agree with your assessment, but I thought I'd throw a couple of ideas out there.

One last thought: It's possible that a selectable option in your AVR - such as Adaptive DRC or one of the sound programs - is causing this. Try running in your AVR's "pure direct" mode - which bypasses all audio processing - and see if you still get the "flatness".
Old 2012-05-22, 08:01 PM   #7
magician73
Rookie

Will do, thanks for your ideas,
much appreciated.
Old 2012-05-22, 09:38 PM   #8
magician73
Rookie

After watching a bluray and replaying a scene after hearing the flatness, i think i have determined that it is the receiver.
while watching with DSP on set to standard movie setting the sound is normal, then suddenly it goes flat during some dialog.
I replay the scene with DSP and it goes flat again,
I replay again, this time in pure direct mode, and the flatness is gone,
I replay again with DSP and the flatness is gone.
still confused.
Old 2012-05-22, 11:22 PM   #9
cooper83
Veteran

As eljay suggested, turn off Adaptive DRC, as well as adjust Dynamic Range, and see if you notice an improvement. Also, there should be some different EQ settings in the menu...try them out to see if that helps.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:30 AM   #10
eljay
DHC Supporter

Quote:
while watching with DSP on ... suddenly it goes flat during some dialog.
I replay the scene with DSP and it goes flat again,
I replay again, this time in pure direct mode, and the flatness is gone,
I replay again with DSP and the flatness is gone.
Could be a firmware issue...? Hopefully a call to Yamaha (as you indicated in your PM) will yield some useful information or assistance. Best of luck, and please do update your thread once you hear from Yamaha and/or resolve your issue.
Old 2012-05-23, 09:58 AM   #11

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Try an AVR reset? Usually outlined in the troubleshooting section of the operating manual. Note that this will set the AVR to the factory defaults, so any preferences will need to be reimplemented.

Here's a list of things to check - perhaps a loose connection (unlikely since it happens with two sources)?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694

Here's a useful post:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-05-24, 02:17 PM   #12
magician73
Rookie

Thumbs up

I've reset (initialized) the DSP Parameters and tested the blu ray and movies off of the rogers box with great results...No more flatness at all.
Thanks to all for the helpful tips. PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Old 2012-05-24, 02:36 PM   #13

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear all is well.
Old 2012-05-24, 03:17 PM   #14
eljay
DHC Supporter

Once again, 57 saves the day!

Quote:
Good to hear all is well.
+1.