Switched Cell Phone, ReceptionProblems - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Videotron

Old 2012-02-17, 09:06 AM   #1
Cardiac
Rookie

Default Switched Cell Phone, ReceptionProblems

Hello everyone,

Ok, so here's the story.

I had a Nokia 5230 for about a year and a half, never had any connection problems. All of a sudden last night at around 6:50 pm I lost reception completely to Videotron's network, no reception, no internet, just emergency calls. Called Customer Services, no help. They advised me to go to a boutique to have it checked. I played their game and went.

So when the girl at the boutique told me there was no SIM card issue or connection issue, it was probably the phone that was crapping out. They did a reset but couldn't guarantee that it will keep working. To be honest, I wasn't happy with the phone and wanted to switch anyway. So I paid the remaining balance ($94!) and got a Samsung Galaxy Mini ($40). So almost $140 later, I left somewhat happy.

So the recpetion was ok in the parking lot, but as soon as I got home (Lasalle) it switched over to Rogers (Partner) and two bars reception. Then slowly, it lost connection completely once I got in the house. It would come back now and again, for 30 seconds or so, on Rogers network, never more than two or three bars, and then drop to no reception again.

This morning, on my way to work, still no connection. I work in Longueuil so I drove through Lasalle to Verdun onto the Champlain. As soon as I reached Verdun, bang! Videotron connection achieved! Three bars and four bars on the Bridge and in Longueuil.

So... what am I supposed to do? Should I call tech support? Should I go in person again? Please note that my Nokia worked all the time, no matter where I was, up until yesterday. My Samsung, which is supposed to be a better phone, doesn't work at all at home, or in my area all that well (Lasalle).

Please help because I am about two seconds away from returning it and jumping ship to another provider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-14, 10:17 AM   #2
silverdragon

this post is a bit old but tell them you have connection issues at one place but it works great elsewhere, the tech should pick up on the fact that its a signal issue, call again.
Old 2012-05-15, 10:54 AM   #3
rogue17

Did that already. Their techs say they will call you back and never do. And when they did they told me that outside the building the signal was strong and they did not intended on increasing the signal strength in buildings.

I used to have Telus and got reception in basements and in lots of places.Even Montreal Metro. With Videotron I can't get a signal on first floor of a Duplexs in various locations in St. Leonard!!!

Their signal and their service leaves alot to be desired.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:31 PM   #4
WestAust

The AWS spectrum Videotron uses is know for having issues penetration obstructions (thus bad reception indoors or going into "roaming" on the rogers gsm network)

Sure any comparison with Telus would be affected simply on a technological basis