CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code Update 7.0.1b.17 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-05, 06:36 PM   #211
Grover

So since my first problem free week since buying this system 6 months ago 3 problems cropped up this week. Why did I have to say how well things were going? Kiss of death.

One is a recurring problem from before the update. I tried to skip through commercials about 10 minutes into a 30 minute show, but when the timer bar appeared at the bottom of the screen it read 1:12 and the time slider was at 0:00. After a couple of seconds playback froze and I got the "do you want to erase this program" prompt. I chose 'no' and picked the episode again from the PVR list and the show started over with the proper 30:00 on the timer bar. No problems on the second viewing. I have had this occur 2 or 3 other times since October.

Another problem that came up this week was not being able to skip backwards while watching live TV despite having an adequate buffer built up. Changing channels and turning right back usually fixes this bug and allows access to the built up buffer. This is also one that I've seen a handful of times before the update.

The third problem was a new one for me. One portal was giving "to subscribe to this channel..." message on all channels. I accessed the dashboard and saw the portal had lost connection to the LAN and the Gateway couldn't find the modem. Reboots of both solved the problem. This sort of thing keeps me from reccomending this system to people who might not feel comfortable finding the dashboard and rebooting.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-05, 07:36 PM   #212
Ehmand
Rookie

Yes I too have strongly recommended to numerous friends and family that they not go to the Shaw Gateway system since it is still so buggy. Bell and Telus are getting a lot of new subscribers as a result. Too bad.
Old 2012-05-05, 08:04 PM   #213
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Kritiker, you raise an interesting question but stanl and I have very similar setups and have had quite different experiences so far. Still, there may be something to your question. I might think it could likely be that you are not experiencing as many issues since you aren't using the system all the time but that's just my guess.
Old 2012-05-05, 08:22 PM   #214
Kritiker

Jetranger, you are undoubtedly right about my lack of issues due to my lack of use.

However, some of what people are describing certainly could be due to an overloaded processor dropping near-simultaneously-scheduled events from a queue, otherwise losing track of some tasks or just a system crash. It's a thought.

So, Jetranger, both you and stanl both have fairly complicated systems and he has fewer problems than you. So we can conclude that a complicated system is, by itself, no guarantee of problems.

Are there any folks out there reporting problems who have only a simple setup? In other words, is a simple setup a guarantee of no problems?
Old 2012-05-06, 01:38 AM   #215
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

Excellent question, Kritiker. It would be very interesting to take a poll of how many 'one Portal' system are 'trouble free' or 'experiencing problems' along with whether or not an expander or other external drive is used.

Let's hope we can get some members with 'simple' systems that will post here.
Old 2012-05-06, 02:05 AM   #216
FenderF4i

My system is only 1 portal, no expander. Runs perfect.
Old 2012-05-06, 03:17 AM   #217
roopster77

Location: Sry/Cloverdale, BC Epson 8350 & 110" Screen... Shaw Gateway & 5 Portals... PS-3 & Harmony One

Gateway and 5 portals with one Shaw expander, no problems of note... I do a lot of recording and again, no problems...
Old 2012-05-06, 09:11 AM   #218
Moporpail

I apologize if this glitch has been reported before. I go to watch recorded show and when hit play, not there, but rather another show in its place with the time bar on the bottom indicating we are 30 minutes into the recording, but cannot rewind.
I looked in my diagnostics and have the following version listed:
7.0.1b.17x5r-P.348041 Is this the latest. Thanks
Old 2012-05-06, 11:34 AM   #219
EdmShawCust

I'm only running a single portal with no expander, and I haven't had *any* problems with the Gateway system at all. I'm loving it
Old 2012-05-06, 11:59 AM   #220
TechGuy8

I have a gateway with 2 portals and no expander. Most of the time, I am using only one portal. No major issue with the new firmware. I have the skip back on live tv problem as other had reported.
Old 2012-05-06, 12:10 PM   #221
GamerGuy

Quote:
......but when the timer bar appeared at the bottom of the screen it read 1:12 and the time slider was at 0:00. After a couple of seconds playback froze and I got the "do you want to erase this program" prompt.
I've seen this now to. Only way to fix it is to use "start over".

I have just 1 Portal.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:03 PM   #222
videopegger
Rookie

I have a Gateway and 4 portals, no expander. On average, I am at about 40-50% of memory capacity. I've been using this system since Feb 3. It's been buggy from the start and I almost told Shaw to come and take it out. The DST update was another example of annoying problems but only after nagging Shaw did that get fixed. It has been temperamental to say the least since early March. I had no idea the system had been updated until Digital Forum sent me an e-mail for this thread. I checked and the latest update was just done to my system. I will monitor things to see if this settles things down.
Old 2012-05-06, 02:10 PM   #223
Jetranger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moporpail View Post
I looked in my diagnostics and have the following version listed:
7.0.1b.17x5r-P.348041 Is this the latest...
Please see the instruction in the title of this thread.

The 'bug' you mention sounds interesting. Thanks for the report.
Old 2012-05-06, 03:46 PM   #224
GamerGuy

My Gateway now complains I have "Disk space issues" when I, for example, go to record a one time show/movie. Say it starts between 6-8 PM tonight. It says that it wont record 3 shows within that same time frame.....and several others scheduled days later?

It's a 1-2 hour recording, scheduled to record once. What does tomorrows recordings have to do with anything?

edit: reworded.
Old 2012-05-06, 05:36 PM   #225
Jetranger
Veteran

We've had this issue for a while now. It seems the Gateway 'looks into the future' to let you know there may be 'issues' with future recordings if you haven't made space before then. It's really kind of a waste but I just ignore the issue and press 'record anyway' or whatever the option to proceed is. I suppose it's just a courtesy to let you know older recording will be deleted or the new one won't be recorded if your old ones are set to 'never delete'.