Rumor - Hulu to require proof of cable subscription - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-01, 02:43 PM   #1
timmy1

Default Rumor - Hulu to require proof of cable subscription

Sounds just stupid enough to be true. I'd take it with a grain of salt, however, since the story originated in the New York Post.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/30/rum...-subscription/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 03:29 PM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

I see all video services eventually being tied to revenue streams in one way or another. It's been slowly happening but they will all become premium services or will be tied to other cash flow sources, such as BDU subscriptions. Even premium services may charge extra to view programming without advertising. I expect the big crunch will occur when main stream DVD rental services totally disappear. It now costs $10-$20 to rent a year old TV season or $50-$60 to purchase. Will the same prices for streaming the same material be far behind? I think not. First run viewing may cost even more.
Old 2012-05-01, 04:38 PM   #3
timmy1

It's strange because Hulu Plus is a premium service and they show commercials. I'm interested to see where all this goes over the next few years. There is so much fragmentation, and so many regional restrictions and timing restrictions, etc., that it is really just too much to keep on top of.

I want to have a bunch of places on the web (or on my device) where I can go and choose from the same selection of media -- all the stuff I want in a number of different places (ie. competition). I've already given up on that dream, however. Well, the "legal" version of that dream, anyways.

Hopefully if this Hulu business actually does happen Criterion will find a new streaming partner. They are by far the primary reason that Hulu is interesting to me.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:48 PM   #4
Dr.Dave

TechCrunch updated the article based on their own source close to Hulu:
Quote:
Even though an authentication requirement isn’t likely to happen right away, though, our source notes that what could happen relatively soon is that the content providers could require longer delays before their shows become available on the service for non-subscribers. Cable subscribers, under this model, would get access to a show on Hulu the next day, while non-subscribers would have to wait at least 30 days. This model would likely also apply to Hulu Plus subscribers.
Old 2012-05-01, 07:47 PM   #5
HDTV101
Veteran

TV2go does this right now!

http://www.trutv.com/trutv2go/index.html
Old 2012-05-02, 12:43 AM   #6
ScaryBob
Veteran

That's a scary site. 100% cheap reality shows.

Internet TV will probably grow to reflect the rest of the TV and movie industry. There will be tiers at fist run, second run and syndicated levels. There will be premium, pay and free services. There will be ad supported and purely subscriber supported services. Programming will be available for purchase, short term viewing or single viewing purposes. All that is changing is the delivery method. Like any emerging technology, there will be bargains and free trials at first to introduce the technology or gain customers and then fees will increase to raise more revenue.
Old 2012-05-02, 02:51 PM   #7
johnvan

I went online to FOX the other day and in order to watch the two latest episodes I had to input my subscription info.

If you have an account with a participating TV provider you can be among the first to watch the most recently aired episodes on FOX.com. Otherwise, full episodes are available for viewing 8 days after the airdate. This is true wherever full episodes of FOX shows appear online. More TV providers are coming soon

I went to Hulu and they were only available for Hulu Plus subscribers.
Old 2012-05-02, 02:55 PM   #8
ScaryBob
Veteran

I wonder when PBS will require a membership and donation to watch online?