Video stores closing - On Demand pricing - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Rogers Communications > Rogers Cable TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-01, 06:17 PM   #16
ecarlino016

not sure where to post this ...... seem like this is a logical location.

I am a Rogers customer with access to TMN and Rogers on Demand but.....
With the closure of Blockbuster and Rogers on Demand does not have my titles availible; where does one go to view say:
Thor and Captain America?

I dont care to buy them. It seems there is a large hole to fill for Canadian streaming.

EC
ecarlino016 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 06:45 PM   #17
yyzlhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo View Post
No it does not... ROD does require a digital cable, but the expensive is only optional, there is such a thing as Digital cable for a low cost too. I have low cost digital cable, i bought a cheap STB for $40, thats = low cost. netflicks = purchase of a video game console or other device, which is $200+ range, and a good quality internet connection too, which isnt cheap, plus the more frequent you watch on netflicks, you have to pay attention to your bandwidth otherwise it will go over, last i checked, that was not the case with ROD. now lets get back on topic here.
Digital basic is $37.48 a month assuming you have your own terminal. Also Assuming you could get a STB for $40, it only gives you SD quality. To BUY a Rogers HD STB that would set you back $320 and offers no other features then the ability to use your Rogers cable subscription. An Apple TV is less than 200 dollars and offers 1080p video and game consoles are in the $200 range but offer far more features then the ability to simply stream movies. A good quality internet connection can be had for about $50 a month and that price can net you something with unlimited bandwidth. For someone who is satisfied with Netflix offerings, the cost of a good internet connection plus a netflix subscription offers much better value then basic cable and paying for each individual movie.
yyzlhr is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 06:55 PM   #18
ScaryBob
Veteran

My experience with existing Canadian on-demand services is that prices are too high and and selection is pitiful. If a little 1998 startup like Netflix US can offer 12,000 titles for $8 per month, Rogers could do better. It's not as if Rogers doesn't have the technology and infrastructure. They just don't want to do it because their existing business model generates such huge profits.

Quote:
where does one go to view say: Thor and Captain America?
Zip.ca?
Old 2012-05-01, 09:25 PM   #19
Shiningblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecarlino016 View Post
...where does one go to view say:
Thor and Captain America?
Both are on Netflix.ca

Cheers
Shiningblade is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-02, 07:46 AM   #20
whitbyterry

Apple TV is an option for Thor and Captain America as well as many other movies that are not on Netflix - and usually $2 cheaper than ROD.
whitbyterry is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-10, 03:54 PM   #21
thenewdc
Veteran

Rogers should offer it's own Netflix like service with decent titles, and unlimited streaming that doesn't count against your bandwidth cap. If the content was good, that would lure Netflix customers over to Rogers. I can't believe they are not doing this. Yes I know about ROD online but that service doesn't cut it.
thenewdc is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-10, 04:09 PM   #22
rgto

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630/DSR505; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11

I totally disagree with this. Having the ISP give preferential treatment to their own services would be a totally unfair competitive practice. ISP should only provide their service and be totally neutral/indiscriminate on what travels through their network.
rgto is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-10, 05:56 PM   #23
whitbyterry

I agree rgto, going with that type of preferential treatment sets a bad precedent. Imagine if Bell bought Netflix or partnered and did not charge for usage, that would give Bell an unfair advantage.
whitbyterry is online now   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.