Yet another Install question (NL) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Aliant Home Phone, Internet, IPTV

Old 2011-12-26, 06:00 AM   #1
tooters
Rookie

Default Yet another Install question (NL)

Hey all!

So long story short, does anyone know if they are still doing the external ONTs?

Here is why I ask; Living in a basement apartment in Kenmount Terrace. The current set up that was done during the build was actually nicely thought out for cabling(RG-6 and cat5E drop every room). So I should not have any problem with the running of cables after getting the Fiop line into the electrical room where all the cables terminate. The Issue is that the electrical room is in the of the house..... Thats right not on an exterior wall. Not all is lost though. They thought far enough ahead to pre run both an RG6 and 5E out of the house to a demark on the exterior of the house. Depending on power requirements you could use one of the pairs from the 5E to send power out to the ONT.

Oh how I wish they had ran a pull string out to the demark....

So what I'm wondering is has anyone faced a install like this yet. The LL is fine with the install... just not willing to let them punch holes though the finished walls... not that I blame her its a brand new build. And yes fully finished everywhere and drywall no t-bar lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-12-28, 01:53 AM   #2
Macman

In the of the house?! Just kidding. I know you meant middle. I've encountered this twice in the 5 yrs I've been installing MTS' equivalent system.

The first house was brand new, and the owner had to have the builder come down and cut open the ceiling, as the copper drop and ground hadn't been run in yet Come to think of it, I may have just left the fibre line coiled up in the demarc outside, so if they ever switch to fibre, they'll be in the same boat. This was before FTTH went live out here.

The second home, which I did recently, was a FTTH install. Thankfully they ran a cat5, ground, and fibre patch from the demarc to the panel. What sucked was having to terminate fibre outside in the cold. I bet the windchill was like -20. Maybe worse.

Anyway... If it is a straight shot, maybe one of the wires going to the demarc could be used as a pull wire, then pulled back with a string taped to it for pulling the fibre line. Technically, if there are copper services going into the home, they MUST be grounded at the demarc if terminated. We are not allowed to install without a ground, per CRTC. Apparently fibre drops can have a tracer wire in them, which we've been told we just have to pull back to demarc and coil up, thus no metal wire going in.

The ONT's used out here use specific power cables to and from the battery backup, so that might not work in your case.

As installers, we often encounter difficult situations like this. Rarely do we have to turn them down. Good luck!
Old 2011-12-28, 11:15 AM   #3
FuzzFace

As Macman said the installer will likely use one of the existing cables as a pull, to run a clearcurve fibre cable from a box installed on the exterior of the house to the electrical room. When fibreop was first being deployed in Fredericton they were using the exterior ONT but have since switched to an interior ONT and I don't think they have any exterior models available to them to use.
Old 2012-05-02, 01:08 AM   #4
tooters
Rookie

thanks for the replies... ended up with rogers for now... fiberop still not here yet though. haven't gotten a timeline yet yet for an install. ill have a look at the demark and see if rogers done a ground, however I think off hand they did which is good. I've done some interesting cable pulls myself... worst one was kinda similar to this set up. pulled a data cable back though a wall across a finished cement ceiling only to discover the dumbass helper didnt attach the string properly and lost it in the ceiling...... ended up using 2 fish and some tie wire to make a larger loop on one of the fish. about 30 min later managed to catch the loop and pull a line through..... lesson learned attach the string yourself!!!

going to take some measurements tomorrow and see roughly where the cable runs inside the ceiling, might get lucky and it will run over the closets in the bedrooms. if thats the case then 3 or four small holes that can be easily patched and concealed might be an option hahaha Ill also break out the trusty stud finder and see which way the joists are running.