Mythtv - Page 27 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-01-17, 03:42 PM   #391
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

One nice thing about handbrake is it will automatically crop out the black bars (letter and pillar boxes). One issue I have had though is some of TVO's UK programming is window-boxed with a 14:9 aspect ratio. Handbrake does the right thing and will remove all the black bars and MythVideo will play the resulting file just fine. The issue is if I then try to use MythArchive to put the video on a DVD, it will stretch it to 16:9 (distorting the picture) when it should be either letter boxing it to 4:3 or pillarboxing it to 16:9.

Any suggestions for fixing this?
Advertisement

Old 2012-02-15, 11:20 AM   #392
Digital_Frank

Anyone use MythStream? It transcodes on the fly and streams live/recorded TV to browsers.
Old 2012-02-15, 07:57 PM   #393
rsambuca
Veteran

Ug. Just read that one of the lead developers of mythtv has left to create a fork called torc. Hopefully this won't thin the developer resources too much.
Old 2012-02-15, 08:16 PM   #394
majortom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Frank View Post
Anyone use MythStream? It transcodes on the fly and streams live/recorded TV to browsers.
I haven't, but In this thread I tried to explain what I do for adhoc channels/feeds that I haven't bothered to setup in mythtv. Works great.
Old 2012-02-16, 03:27 PM   #395
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
Ug. Just read that one of the lead developers of mythtv has left to create a fork called torc. Hopefully this won't thin the developer resources too much.
It will be interesting to see what transpires of this. There is some speculation that this could just be a temporary fork for him/them to start working on 0.26 before 0.25 is released.
Old 2012-04-23, 10:29 PM   #396
Digital_Frank

Mythtv .25 was released April 10th:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25

It looks to have a lot of new features... Http streaming, AirPlay, and more.
I will do a clean install on a new drive to see how it works with my hardware.

Please post you upgrade results...
Old 2012-04-24, 02:34 AM   #397
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default MythTV 0.25 Thread

As discussed in this thread: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=152823
Old 2012-05-21, 09:34 PM   #398
mwalma
Rookie

Default A script to scrape the CBC website for schedule info for mythtv

Hello all,

I've written a little python script to scrape the CBC web site for scheduling information and put the results in to an xmltv/mythfilldatabase compatible form. You use it like this:

# ./scraper 2012/05/21 > sched_20120521.xml
# mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 sched_20120521.xml

Since I rely on the PSIP info for my EPG, and CBC does not provide, this allows me to get CBC scheduling.

Would this be of interest to anyone - I would be happy to share it - or is there a better thread to discuss this?

If you are interested and grabbing a copy now, surf to newmovies.walma.org and right-click to download scraper.py. It is very rough and does no input sanatizing or exception catching, so use it carefully. It also depends on "beautiful soup" for html parsing, which, if you are using some flavour of linux, should be available through your package manager. There are some comments in the code which will give some hints to getting it working.

Mike