Couple of questions about professional calibration - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Old 2012-04-19, 11:01 AM   #1
SpankysOddessy
Rookie

Default Couple of questions about professional calibration

I just purchased this TV the other day and I have been blown away.Every since making the jump to HD six or 7 years ago, I had it in my head that LCD was the only way to go.However after several bad experiences with a variety of brands, I decided to give plasma a go, and I couldn't be happier. I think I really did my research with this make/model. Everything is unbelievably vibrant and natural looking in a way I never even knew was possible.

When I purchased the TV ( From a Future Shop, in Canada) the guy there kind of talked me into getting a calibration, which, if I am correct, would be from a third party that they have an arrangement with.The cost of the calibration is 100 dollars ( supposedly knocked down from 300).

i understand that there is a break in period of around 100 hours and I am probably around the 20 hour mark so far.I have never had a TV calibrated before and I have some questions about the process.I apoligize in advance for the noobish nature of these questions, but I have already asked around on several forums and I haven't gotten a straight answer out of anyone. I thank you in advance for your patience and helpfulness.

1.Will having it calibrated void my warrenty?( I plan on emailing samsung about this, but if you guys could tell me what is generally the case I would apprecieate it.)

2.Will it result in my TV consuming more, or less energy, and will it contribute to my set either lasting longer or shorter?

3. Is there a type of viewing material that would benefit most from calibration? The. ain reason I bought this Tv is for gaming, and I'm wondering would a calibration make sense for gaming? It seems to me that it would be less desirable than it would be for other mediums.

4. Supposing that I go through and get the calibration, and I dislike it, is it possible for me to fully undo the changes that were made?

Again, sorry for such a long post, but I put alot of time and energy into finding the right TV for me, and I don't want to do a calibration without fully understanding the risks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-19, 12:38 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

1. No

2. Typically less. Depends on the picture mode/settings you're currently using.

3. Everything benefits. Gaming probably less since it's not quite as "real".

4. Sure, just go back to the picture mode/settings you had. I've not known anyone to "go back". It's easy to compare when the optimization is done and a good optimizer can show you the differences, benefits, etc.

Here's the FAQ on Optimization:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76161

There is no need for break in - see the following FAQ. Burn in at the start, break in at the bottom.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

These answers should all be "straight".
Old 2012-04-19, 12:43 PM   #3
Roweig

Location: Coquitlam, B.C., ARRIS Gateway, Panny TC-P65VT50, Panny Blu-ray BDT320PC, Denon AVR-1913

In answer to your four questions:

1. No
2. Probably not.
3. All materials will benefit
4. If done properly you will not want to go back.

By calibrating your TV (ISF) the main calibration is done in setting up your grey scale properly. (90% of video information is in grey scale and not in colour) It will be set up to the environment that you will be watching it in, your living room for example. DO NOT compare your TV to one that is in the store and has torch mode activiated. (high contrast, high brightness, etc.). Also $100.00 is a very good price to have this done. Good Luck!
Old 2012-04-19, 01:53 PM   #4
SpankysOddessy
Rookie

Thank you both very much.