CLOSED — Shaw Gateway: Code update to iS2 & iS2+ - Page 89 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Communications > Shaw Cable HD tuner and HD PVR Discussion > Shaw Gateway

Closed Thread

Old 2012-04-17, 03:31 PM   #1321
Cio-Pao
Rookie

Location: Calgary, AB | Samsung TV's | Gateway with 6 portals

hello folks, the update we've been waiting for will happen tomorrow (this was confirmed by 3 different persons from the gateway team...but please don't shoot me if the said update doesn't happen tomorrow ).

Also, I've heard that the menu will be a lot quicker, the trick mode is more responsive, more information on galaxy channels will be seen (like artist, album name), installer tool will be different and a lot easier to use for the technician....and of course, more bugs are fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-17, 04:43 PM   #1322
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I'm guessing you haven't been following this thread for long as I reported that previously. I'm pretty sure my info is 'up to date' but perhaps you have better sources than I do.
Old 2012-04-17, 06:45 PM   #1323
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

I wonder if they've changed the secret keypresses that enter into the installer mode?
Old 2012-04-17, 07:24 PM   #1324
TechGuy8

No, I got into the installer tool a few hours ago.

Make sure your are on the "Channel List" before hitting back, next, back, next.
Old 2012-04-17, 07:49 PM   #1325
Jetranger
Veteran

Location: Calgary SonyTVs,ShawGateway&6Portals DCX3400&3200, 5ShawExpanders:3WD,Seagate,iOmega Harmony One

I think he meant; will it change with the next code since it will be a 'dashboard'. I think the process will be the same but we will know next week when it does come out.

There is a new code going out to Shaw testers tomorrow and that might be what is confusing the issue here. The general public won't get the 'update' until next week.
Old 2012-04-17, 08:04 PM   #1326
sailorickm

Location: Calgary, AB ShawGateway & 3 Portals, Shaw 1TB Expander, Sony 3D KDL-46HX729, HTSF470, 2 BDPS580

Hmmm, for a minute there I thought TechGuy8 let it slip that he's an employee who has the update already!!! ;-)

The fellow who mentioned a "big update" in June; I wonder if that's the one that will enable DLNA and WiFi?
Old 2012-04-17, 08:24 PM   #1327
Jetranger
Veteran

I'm checking on the new 'Dashboard' access. There will be a 'bump' to the system this Thursday, the 19th. Then starting on the 24th, next Tuesday, the latest public code, 7.0.1b.17, will be pushed to us.

As with any software update to this system, it can take up to 30 minutes once it starts and you will be prompted to 'restart' once it has completed the download. Since this will likely happen in the middle of the night, many will not see the 'restart' message and the system will reboot itself as long as there are no scheduled recordings at the same time.

Now, as to the 'big update', yes, that is the one that should have DLNA included but we won't know the actual release date until just before it happens since there are just too many variables. There will be at least one more release before that one and it should have a lot of fixes that we are looking for that aren't already in the code to be sent next week.

EDIT: Accessing the new 'Dashboard' will be the same as getting into the 'Installer Tool' is now.
Old 2012-04-18, 03:10 AM   #1328
mmmbiscuits

Default Shaw Gateway Incorrect Guide

Is there a reason why I have seen (more so recently) incorrect shows listed than actually displayed?

My time is correct and everything for the most part is working perfectly except from time to time it just displays the incorrect title of a program.

For example there's a soccer game on ch254 and it's displayed as highlights or something, or Champions League today and tomorrow listed as English Premier League which to the many who know what I'm talking about is completely different.

Anyone?

Thanks,

I looked very hard to try to find a previous question/answer in the forum but couldn't find any.
Old 2012-04-18, 02:57 PM   #1329
sixpac

Jet, if and when DLNA gets enabled on the gateway do you know what exactly it will bring to us on this system?

Thanks
Old 2012-04-18, 03:18 PM   #1330
Jetranger
Veteran

I don't, actually, because Shaw keeps changing how they are planning on implementing it, from what I hear. There are several ways it could function and there are security issues with some of them and they of course want to get it right. I would think that once we get closer to the release of DLNA that I will hear how it should work and what it will and won't do. I have a WHS and a 12TB homebuilt server I'd love to tie into my Gateway but I can't move anything around until I know what will be possible or required when it is available.
Old 2012-04-18, 05:47 PM   #1331
sailorickm

It would be cool if a DLNA TV (or computer) could access recorded shows on the gateway without a portal, but I doubt we'd ever see that!
Old 2012-04-18, 10:08 PM   #1332
Cudtz

Location: Canada:Sony,Samsung,Panasonic TV's.Gateway + 3 Portals,Tube TV -HD Box(moto),VAIO,PS3,BR,Sling,Cisco
Lightbulb

I agree, access via dlna capable devices that are not portals would be nice, and really a smart move I think. The Rogers commercials with the TV anywhere and the family watching on the tablet comes to mind; also the use of xbox 360 with Telus TV. If it was done through an app, I don't see why it couldn't be locked to specific gateways. (have it set up like VOD with either your email or shaw username and the serial number of your gateway box. On the gateway under settings, add a tab for registered devices, including portals. With the option to label each device (as well as show the MAC adresses of all the non portal devices registered with the Gateway, just for extra confirmation).

1 possible example (Brackets represent submenus under each label. Customizable labels. Portals would be automatically locked in - could change label and portal number but nothing else. DLNA devices could be individually labelled, but MAC adress would be locked once registered or paired with the Gateway.)
Bedroom (Portal 1)(Serial no 1)
Kitchen (Portal 2)(Serial no 2)
Porch (Tablet - IOS or Android) (MAC Adress 1)
Bedroom 2 (Portal 3) (Serial no 3)
Media/Games Room (PS3) (Mac Adress 2)

I realize others may have had the same idea. Either way I look forward to the dlna and wifi capabilities; whenever it arrives.
Old 2012-04-18, 11:26 PM   #1333
sailorickm

I'm looking forward to the DLNA even though my two BD players and my TV (all Sony) all have wireless DLNA. They connect to my wireless router. It's only "g", not "n", but seems to handle the largest resolution avi files I have tried.

I haven't actually thought of any use for the wifi in the gateway itself! Is there any benefit? Is it meant for communication to the gateway, or does it have a full router/firewall etc for access to the outside world?

The gateway is in an enclosure with the power panel and the cable POI, etc. It's in my daughter's bedroom in the basement. The wireless router is in the den on the main floor.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:25 AM   #1334
Flash604

Streaming to computers, tablets, phones, etc. is a possible future expansion. It would be through an Arris app that you would have to install on the device, and would be within the confines of your house. Shaw has it low on their priorities, they did not think it was as highly desired as many of the other possible expansions.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:30 AM   #1335
sixpac

Low on the list? Are they nuts?.. that is high on my list and I am sure highly desired by much of their customers.

First on my list is actually getting more HD channels.. Shaw is seriously lacking in that department (coming from Bell last November).
Closed Thread