Motorola dct6412 hdmi input? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-04-17, 07:20 PM   #1
Torinate

Default Motorola dct6412 hdmi input?

I would like to hook my computer up to my system so I can get sound through the stereo, not the tv.

Currently, when I watch a movie from my computer, I run an HDMI cable directly from the laptop to the tv. This is fine. But, I would also
Like to have surround sound so I would like to hook it up to my DVR. My receiver -Onkyo - doesn't have an hdmi port.

Is there a way to do this? My blu ray has hdmi as well. I'm assuming these are all outputs though.

Any ideas would be a great help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-17, 11:43 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

They are all outputs. You could see if the PC allows you to use a digital (optical?) output for sound to your AVR in addition to HDMI for video.

Your BD player should have a digital output (coaxial or optical) which you should be able to feed to the AVR.

Another option might be to connect HDMI to the TV and then use the TV's optical output to the AVR. However, this may only give 2 channel or no sound at all, as discussed in the following FAQ - depends on the make/model of the TV: Two channel audio can be processed by the AVR into surround sound, so even analogue outputs from say the PC could be used to give you surround sound by invoking say Dolby Pro-Logic II to the incoming signal. This often does quite a good job if none of the other options work or are of interest at this time until you get an AVR with HDMI inputs that handle HDMI audio.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=17870

Here's a post useful for those new to this - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741