Security Alarm Company Discussions - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Automation and Security

Old 2011-11-17, 11:24 AM   #46
Witchdoctor

Being one of the "small guys", maybe even the smallest of the small guys, I appreciate what Mikebreton posted.

My customers are gold, and I consider them to be my friends also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2011-11-21, 01:34 PM   #47
Mikebreton

Well i use to work for a smaller company, before i did a career change. But we would go the extra mile to make sure the customer was happy. I recall a customer i was there on xmas eve around 6-7pm setting up there new Imacs that they bought after i was finished with there alarm system. I didn't have to do that, but they were a good client, and from that we ended up getting more business out of it.
Old 2012-01-14, 04:48 PM   #48
satanshollow

We had a false alarm last month and the call came from The Monitoring Center. We thought it was a solicitor, I called the number back and it was an accidental panic alarm. We are with Kaban Protective services in Vancouver. So I guess they farm out their monitoring to them? Anyone with recent service with The Monitoring Center? Kaban charges $25 a month vs the $10 for TMC. Does TMC working on your security system? We have a DSC system. THanks.
Old 2012-01-23, 02:48 AM   #49
AlarmGuyDan
Rookie

I work in the alarm industry, all I can say is do your research, take your time, and don't rush to a decision.

Ask as many questions as you can think of when speaking with wich ever alarm company, and make sure you read any contracts they have you sign.

Many companies may offer a free system, or a basic package at a discounted rate, but may not have the right coverage for your home, so make sure you ask exactly what kind of coverage to expect.

And ask what exactly you recieve for their monthly fee. I have had customers that switched to the company I work for, who paid $10/month more with their previous company, but didn't recieve anything extra, basically they were paying more for the same level of service. But some companies may charge a bit more, but also offer a bit more (like a service plan built in, whereas maybe another company requires you to pay extra for a service plan)
Old 2012-02-20, 10:49 AM   #50
Zrock

You definitely get what you pay for. A friend got one of those free installs. The company never came back to show her how to use the system as promised and when she started reading the fine print their was alot of hidden charges. She called to have it removed they used a screwdriver and ripped everything off the doors and windows. Brand new house and every door and window was damaged and holes left in the walls.
Old 2012-02-21, 12:21 PM   #51
jshel101
Veteran

She should contact the company to fix the damage, if that doesn't work, take them to small claims court.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:50 PM   #52
David C
Rookie

Default Alarm Companies

Hi All,

I am the Director of Operations for a Vancouver based alarm and security company (one of the smaller companies). I am not here to promote our business but to give you all some basic tips when selecting a company.

1) Nothing in this world is free. Beware of long term contracts (check the fine print) and free alarms. You will end up paying more in the long run and often you do not own the equipment. Our company offers no contract alarm monitoring, we are confident in our service and if customers are not happy they can cancel with us at any time.

2) Be careful who you let in your house. All installers in BC are required to be licensed by the government and carry identification. Do not let people from Craigslist in your home.

3) Ask how long the company you are dealing with has been in business. You do not want to find out in a year or 2 that the company you are dealing with no longer exists.

4) Call the company and do you research. Alarm and camera systems are like getting a roof for your home......you get what you pay for.

Old 2012-08-04, 07:04 AM   #53
comcon
Rookie

Wink Which alarm company?

I was on national TV in Ottawa over 10 years ago, a same question was always asked. Who to deal with?
Here simple answer: Ask your friend, relative, co-worker, for referral
Ask if they happy with alarm company they deal with. They tell you!!!
If they happy use it too.
As being owner of Comcon Security in Ottawa for almost 25 years I tell you honestly.-Ask 3-4 times and you get good referrals

Ask if service free or you have to pay for it (don’t forget at the end of the day you will pay top dollars to alarm company for service)
Just got screwed by Sears tech $89.00 for 15 min myself
So ask and make them put it on the paper
SERVICE IS FREE AS LONG AS MONITORED
The rest is just pennies $15 per month or $20 $25 have no significant meanings.
why ? Because ,1 sevice call within 3 years aver. $90 will pay for the difference between 15 and 25 a month

Hope it helps
Old 2012-09-24, 05:16 AM   #54
consumerchoice
Rookie

Default review

there are plenty of home security companies that are complete, cheap and more reliable to the consumer. try to google it to check some reviews carefully.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:13 PM   #55
deanrw

Default SecurTek

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has Securtek as there alarm monitoring company ? I am thinking of switching from ADT to Securtek.

Anyone have any good/bad reviews? Just looking for any information possible.

Thanks.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:33 PM   #56
jshel101
Veteran

We use SecurTek for our alarm company. We have their cell monitoring system. So we can control our system through an app. I like that feature and the text notifications from the system. I have set off the alarm sometimes accidentally and sometimes they call and sometimes they don't. Not sure if they have a procedure in place to only call of the alarm is going off for a certain amount of time. I was told that the alarm has to be going off for a bout a minute before SecurTek will call. The only reason I don't complain about this is because I receive a text immediately if the alarm is tripped.

If all of these features are not important to you, then I would try looking at another company. We has ADT before and I found their response times very slow to alarms. One time I gave my mom the keys to my house and forgot to tell her the alarm was on. Well we showed up 10 minutes after she got into our house with the alarm siren blaring away. We didn't receive one call in that time. I called ADT myself to tell them it was a false alarm. We ended up switching alarm companies soon after.
Old 2013-04-11, 12:48 PM   #57
deanrw

Thanks, Jshel101. We had a few issues with ADT. including the useless system they originally installed. 2 doors sensors and motion. yet we have 4 doors. The response from the dealer, oh, the signs usually deter them enough. yet my front door is not contacted and the motion is in the basement. Real secure...

If you don't mind me asking, how much a month do you pay for interactive services and what kind of system do you have?
Old 2013-04-11, 04:59 PM   #58
jshel101
Veteran

We pay about $45/month and we have the touch screen panel. Not sure of the model name. We have the Internet and cellular connect system. I think the best would be to get someone to come in and give you a free estimate. When I get gone tonight ill try to remember to check the model name of the panel.
Old 2013-05-06, 06:00 AM   #59
RyanHall
Rookie

I used ADT for about three years. Then I just switched it to alarmforce. Until now it is working well. Donno What happens in future
Old 2013-06-18, 08:37 PM   #60
BingoRingo
Rookie

I would not recommend Protectron. After one month they have been in breach of the contract and in two years haven't been able to fix the issues, only to forget taking one of my payments and threatening me if I don't pay them again.

Avoid like the plague, they don't even respond to letters, next step is going to be more official for me. Wasting my time.