Mass Effect 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > Video Game Consoles and PC Gaming

Old 2012-03-06, 10:25 AM   #1
Dioneo
Veteran

Default Mass Effect 3

It's here! I won't have much time to play before Friday, but I'll at least get it installed and import one of my Sheppards tonight.

I was disappointed in the demo they released, but I got the feeling it was the old demo used at a previous E3 or GDC.

I'm also extremely dubious about the multiplayer. Any single player bug I find will automatically be blamed on BioWare manpower wasted on developing the multi-player system...
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-06, 11:21 AM   #2
Dioneo
Veteran

And the bug reports are already coming in. Character imports aren't always working:

Quote:
Seems my character's face couldn't be imported. That's OK, I thought, must be a hiccup because the game wasn't technically out yet, maybe a switch at BioWare hadn't been flipped yet.

The game is now out. And whatever swtich needs to be flipped, or fixed, it still isn't working.

We're getting emails from readers, and there's already a massive thread on BioWare's forums, saying the same thing. That or the import is working, but producing faces that look nothing like the original.

Note that we don't yet know if this is affecting everyone, everyone who has a save from both games, or just some people.

It seems the error is popping up for people who built a face for Mass Effect 1, carried it unchanged into Mass Effect 2 and are now trying to bring it into Mass Effect 3.

Which will be only the series' longest and most devoted fans. We're hearing that PS3 players are experiencing the same issue.
Also, if you have your ME games saved to the cloud you won't be happy...

Quote:
Anyone who kept their Mass Effect 2 saves on the Cloud (and this is the Xbox 360 version specifically we're talking about here), you can't import them from there. You need to import it from a HDD. With a catch: you need to re-download it to the HDD it was originally created on. Hope you haven't bought a new Xbox in the last two years!
All quotes from: http://kotaku.com/5890793/oh-dear-ma...rking-properly

Grrrr. Stupid multiplayer...
Old 2012-03-06, 02:16 PM   #3
eimaj

Passing on this until a price drop or the "ultimate" edition comes out with all the dlc. I DO NOT like how Bioware/EA did the day one dlc download for an extra $10, so I will speak with my wallet and wait. Max Payne 3 will keep my very occupied in a couple weeks anyway!
Old 2012-03-06, 02:29 PM   #4
Shiningblade

I too have decided to wait for the "complete edition". For me it is not a priority to get on release day.

I am still playing Skyrim (I just feel compelled to complete every quest). I also have a couple of other games in the queue that I have picked up at good prices. Not to mention I never actually got around to finishing ME2, not that I did not like it, I just got distracted by other games.

Cheers
Old 2012-03-06, 04:35 PM   #5
Dioneo
Veteran

Choosing to wait is not a bad strategy at all. Ever since EA bought out BioWare the quality of their titles at launch has been sub-par. I only got ME3 today because of that crazy pre-order deal Futureshop had last summer. $20 off the normal launch price still makes the day 1 DLC look palatable.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:54 AM   #6
dezzpayne

I'm waiting for the DLC for ME2 to go on sale so I can play it before ME3. I picked up ME2 on Steam for $6.88. Seemed like a great deal. Not so much now when I can get the PS3 version for $19.99 that includes the multiple pieces of DLC Bioware is selling for $10 a pop.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:13 AM   #7
Dioneo
Veteran

Well, I'm totally into the game now. Also, the multiplayer is very much like Horde mode from "Gears of War" with RPG elements thrown in. You earn credits to buy crates full of mystery unlockables (new characters and weapons to use, along with upgrades).

Also, successfully completing levels slowly raises the "Readiness" of the galaxy in your single player game. So there is a compelling reason to play online for a few hours before you try to finish the single player story.
Old 2012-04-07, 10:11 PM   #8
asif9t9
Veteran

Finally finished last night. What a game. What a world. Sad to say goodbye to it all. The ending was....I can't really say disappointing. Maybe didn't make all the sense it should have, but how could it after the story we went through. I mean, for the whole game we always heard that we couldn't stop what was coming. It was never that it would be hard. It was that it just couldn't be done.

Funny, I don't like to google or read much about a game while I'm playing, in case I read a spoiler. But the whole time I was wondering why I didn't recognize this Ashley character. lol, finally found out they totally gave her a makeover.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:28 PM   #9
Dioneo
Veteran

You aren't alone. I didn't recognize Ashley when I first saw her in the demo.

Multiplayer still has me hooked. They released a free multiplayer update that added new playable characters and maps. The new characters have to be unlocked, which I respect.