iTunes updates for Win always wants to reboot - why? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing > Windows Computing

Old 2012-04-15, 11:11 PM   #1
Wayne
Veteran

Default iTunes updates for Win always wants to reboot - why?

iTunes updates on a fairly frequent basis, I would guess at least once per month, and it always seems to want to reboot. Why?

I am able to update video drivers without requiring an update, surely Apple can update iTunes for Win without requiring you to reboot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-16, 12:20 AM   #2
Jase88

My guess is that the updates are impacting registry keys, which typically require a reboot when updated.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:05 AM   #3
MarcP
Veteran

That makes no sense. I develop softwares that regularly updates the registry when upgrading and I never forced a reboot because of that. Any (and I really do mean any) registry changes can be read on the fly by the software.

The only reason why I can think iTunes requires a reboot is to stealth update files that are locked during installation. I'm thinking of the Bonjour service mostly. Then again, iTunes works just fine if you load it without rebooting.

I hate softwares that take the easy route of forcing you to reboot. For the majority of them, I bet they could do without, but it may be too much work.
Old 2012-04-16, 02:21 AM   #4
ScaryBob
Veteran

It's more typically due to drivers and/or services that need to be restarted or DLLs/driver files that may be locked and need to be replaced and/or re-registered. I have no doubt that this could be done without a restart most of the time but rebooting seems to be the Microsoft way of doing this.

I once worked with a Windows admin who laughed because the Linux kernel needed to be rebuilt when new drivers and modules were added. (That was before dynamic modules were common.) At least it didn't require a reboot every time a patch was installed.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:21 PM   #5
Wayne
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
It's more typically due to drivers and/or services that need to be restarted or DLLs/driver files that may be locked and need to be replaced and/or re-registered. I have no doubt that this could be done without a restart most of the time but rebooting seems to be the Microsoft way of doing this.
But MS seems to have moved away from requiring reboots all of the times. I have had Windows Update do an update to video drivers without requiring a restart.

I wonder if this is a form of marketing for Apple. Since you have a Windows PC we will make you reboot when you update your software - you wouldn't have to do this if you were using a Mac (but I have never used iTunes on a Mac so maybe that requires reboots as well).
Old 2012-04-16, 01:32 PM   #6

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I believe that reboots depend on what is being updated and the extent of the update. Since a Mac was discussed, I can mention that the occasional update required a reboot while (most) others do not. I have both my Macs set to check for updates once a week. I can then decide if I wish to update (that product) then, or later, or never, depending on what I'm doing at the time. I do not allow "automatic" updates - I always look at what is being suggested, etc. I can then "untick" the update if I don't want it then, or ever.
Old 2012-04-16, 01:34 PM   #7
Jase88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
But MS seems to have moved away from requiring reboots all of the times. I have had Windows Update do an update to video drivers without requiring a restart.
The itunes software still needs to support older MS OS products...
Old 2012-09-24, 06:03 PM   #8
Wayne
Veteran

I have been updating iTunes recently and I still find this requirement very annoying and I don't find any of the responses satisfying.

Argghhhh!
Old 2012-09-25, 08:57 AM   #9
hugh
Member #1

For the record, Macs also require a reboot after an iTunes update. I learned this last week after upgrading iTunes on my Mac Mini. I was totally surprised since I always thought that Macs did not require a reboot after an update.
Old 2012-09-25, 04:28 PM   #10
ChannelMaster

Clunky old Itunes relies on a multitude of services (such as Bonjour, Apple Device Mananger and TuneUp in my case). If I remember correctly those services are not set to automatically restart after having been stopped (by the uninstall or update utility). THerefore they require a machine restart.

A fresh itunes install on the other hand does not require a restart.

I do admit that it is a pain in the b*tt to have to restart the PC with such frequent updates.