Multiswitch Discussions - Page 14 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-04-04, 08:59 PM   #196
izanaki
Rookie

Default Multiple TVs = Bad Picture Quality?

I have four TVs in the house 2 of which are using the HD530 receiver and two using a standard def receiver.

There is a massive splitter that Shaw Direct had hooked up that looks like it will do up to 8 tvs. 6 of the connections are already hooked up.

I'm just wondering if this degrades the picture quality even with it being a professional grade splitter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-04, 10:00 PM   #197
TJ77
Veteran

It's actually a multiswitch, not a splitter. Without the switch, only 4 coaxial lines can be accommodated, but you have 6 (2 for each pvr + 1 for each SD) so a switch was needed. There is no loss in quality associated with the switch.
Old 2012-04-11, 10:01 PM   #198
Danny001

Default One Receiver good, one dead

I have a 4x8 switch, one PVR and one 605. The 605 is giving me 0's accross the board on signal, the 630 is great. I unplugged the 605 and no change. The Switch is outside, buried under the snow ( I live in the arctic)... Is it possible that the out for the 605 on the switch is dead all of a sudden? The 605 was working up until yesterday.
Old 2012-04-12, 01:42 AM   #199
gzink

Have you tried one of the lines to 630. Into the 605? Obvious but have to ask, since that would be the first step if possible.
Old 2012-04-12, 07:36 AM   #200
Danny001

I hadn't thought of that, thanks for the suggestion, it works on the other line. I re-connected it to the original spot, and nothing...So is this a switch issue? Or the cable? when I check the signal level now, the bar bounces all the way up to 99, but doesn't change color.
Old 2012-04-14, 12:08 PM   #201
Jimsathome

Cool I'll gamble on the cable / connector

Danny,

Burying an electrical device (the multiswitch) under snow is not a good idea => even if it says it's indoor /outdoor.

Depending on what Cable & Connectors you used it could be them or the switch. But I'll gamble on the cable / connector. (I assume the cable was in good shape when installed and is one continuous piece from the multiswitch to the 605.) I suggest you dig out the multiswitch and move the 605 Cable to any unused port. If all ports are used, disconnect one for testing purposes. If the 605 works on the different port then the switch has failed on that port. If it doesn't, then the Cable / Connector is faulty.

I hope this is helpful.
Old 2012-04-14, 01:04 PM   #202
Danny001

all fixed, I switched it to another port, and works fine. The snow looks like it weighed the cable down. When the weather warms up, I will do some trial and error to see if the port is bad or not, still -35 up here!
Old 2012-04-14, 09:03 PM   #203
Jimsathome

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
all fixed, I switched it to another port, and works fine. The snow looks like it weighed the cable down. When the weather warms up, I will do some trial and error to see if the port is bad or not, still -35 up here!
Bloody Balmy to some Folks!

(Just Kidding)
Old 2012-04-19, 02:54 PM   #204
TyHe

Default cable connector

I purchased a multiswitch and planned on installing it myself. I visited my local installer to purchase some connectors and he told me the only ones recommed for satelite cable were compression type ones and that you needed a special toool to attach them. Is it true that only the compression type will work on satelite cable?
Old 2012-04-19, 09:29 PM   #205
frenchophile

you can use the crimp-style connectors, but they are not as sturdy as compression. the twist-on style are ok, too, but again, not as sturdy. if outdoors, the compression connectors are less likely to corrode
Old 2012-04-20, 08:07 AM   #206
TyHe

Default cable connectors

Thanks frenchophile for your input.
Ty
Old 2012-05-06, 07:24 AM   #207
kl35
Rookie

Default multi switch 3 x 4

I am a newbie, so excuse me if this subject has been posted before, or if I am posting in the wrong area.

In a remote mountain area of Alberta, I have an opportunity to "share" a shaw dish that already has 4 full used ports to 4 different receivers/accounts. Yes, 4 different separate accounts, not 4 receiver on 1 account. I am not "sharing" anyones account, as I have my own Shaw account so I would be the 5th one.
I was given an Aspen 3 x 4multiswitch Aspen brand with Sat A, Sat B, and cable input, to 4 outputs.
my plan was to just use one of the existing outputs from the dish now and using the multiswitch into 2 outputs. one for me and one for the existing account/receiver.

1st question: can I do this ?
2nd question: do I use input Sat A or Sat B ?

I am using a brand new Shaw 600 receiver, not a PVR model, so just one cable input.

I do not know what type of current Shaw dish it is, I just know 4 different receivers/accounts are being used currently on 1 dish. I assume none of them are PVR since they require 2 outputs each, I was told.

I have shared a Shaw dish up there before with other Shaw accounts with no problems for years, but now I have to hookup to another dish.

I live in Vancouver and driving to Alberta soon to do this hookup and need to bring whatever equipment, cables, etc. now. I do not have phone access to call Shaw tech support when I am doing this hookup, so I need to know what to expect before leaving town.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by 57; 2012-05-06 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Moved to existing thread
Old 2012-05-06, 10:47 AM   #208
Danny001

I'm not too sure how the 3x4 works 100%, my understanding is that you have to have both inputs of the switch connected to the LNB in order for it to work properly for 22khz switching between Sat A and Sat B. In fact, I don't think it will work at all period if you don't connect both inputs of the switch to the LNB. What I do know and what I think makes more sense for you is you could buy yourself a 5x8 eagle aspen for between 50-100$ depending where you buy it from and split it 5 ways . You connect all four ports from the LNB to the switch, and that gives you 8 outputs. The 5x8 has a power supply so you need access to an outlet. This way if someone wants another receiver, or a PVR you can accommodate that with the 8 outputs. You could even go bigger with the 16 output switch but those are much more expensive. Hope this helps.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:07 AM   #209
Jimsathome

Cool

KL35,

I've done a similar install with multiple accounts sharing the same Dish. Check it out here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

If I were you I'd scrap the switch you've got, and go for a 4X8 Multiswitch (or a 5X8 if you are inputing cable or local TV signals into the network but that's unlikely). You need to take all 4 outputs of the Dish (assuming a Quad LNB) into the multiswitch. Then you get up to 8 tuners out. A PVR receiver take 2 inputs.

If you have power available at the dish you can use a powered switch - like the Phillips one I got you can mount outdoors. I got it cheap from Princess Auto. If not there are non-powered types available on ebay very reasonable.)

I'd type more but I'm heading for the airport to go to Edmonton (business) so I'll try to see how you make out from there.
Old 2012-05-06, 02:31 PM   #210
kl35
Rookie

Default multiswitch/multi accounts

thanks for the input

I have no problem getting and using a 5 x 8 or 4 x8 multi, as long as I can use a powered RG6 cable to extend it as the AC is only available indoors,
but my problem is that I do not know what type of Shaw dish it is, I
IE: quad, non stacked or stacked, I'm sorry I am naive (that spelled right?)when it comes to that information. And I won't know until I get there to look at it.

Will the 5 x 8 or 4 x8 work with any type of dish ? I just know there is 4 outputs and all 4 are being used right now to 4 different accounts.

Thanks again in advance for any further input.